30 Day Shred for Obese People

Options
I want to try Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, but I want to know is there anyone on here that was/is severely obese and used it? It may seem silly, but as an obese person I'm worried it will be too much for me. I am 310 lbs. Since January I have tried to work out about 3 times a week for 20 mins, usually on the elliptical. I am bored with that, and I also always see people get amazing results with the 30 day program. However, these people are usually much smaller than myself, and although may not have been in shape before the program they certainly were carrying significantly less weight than me even when they started.

So, can a severely obese person do this program without a lot of complications? Are there other people like me (extremely overweight) out there that can tell their experience with this? I know I will be sore, and I can deal with that, but has anyone has a bad experience otherwise? Any information would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance, and I apologize if I can't reply to everyone's comments. :flowerforyou: :heart: :smile:

Replies

• tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Please, I hate to sounds desperate but anyone's advice on this would be great. :ohwell:
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did a round of it back when I was 246 (I'm 5'9" if that makes a difference), and I didn't have any issues with it. Starting at 215ish (I am 205 now), I have completed another round, and almost 2 rounds of RI30. I have always been in pretty good shape, though.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Your size is not important, your fitness level is.

I am obese, but find the 30DS to be lower intensity than most of my other workouts.

If you have not been working out at all, you will probably be overwhelmed with 30DS. How many jumping jacks can you do? Is it safe for you to do jumping jacks at all, or do you have knee or back issues?

The only way to know is to try. Be conservative your first time through, don't use weights and focus on form. If you are overwhelmed, find another activity for a few weeks, then come back to it.
  • The_Transforming_Journey
    Options
    Hello there!

It is a hard workout, but it's doable. When I first started 30DS I had to modify many of the moves, but as time went on I got better at it & stronger. I've stayed on Level 1 & haven't progressed to Levels 2 & 3 until I can do all of the moves. The main thing is to keep moving & make it your workout... if you can't do the whole thing at once, it's ok ~ you're working slowly toward better health & fitness, and that's what is truly important :smile:
  • OMGItsErinPratt
    OMGItsErinPratt Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I began the 30 day shred at 290 pounds. The first week was so brutal for me that I almost gave up. ALMOST, but didn't. It's a pretty intense workout for people who haven't really worked out before. like me, but it does get easier, OR should I say, you're just getting fitter. :)

I do a lot of the modified exercises and it really works for me. Just give it a try!
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I'm definitely going to try it. I will probably try to focus on form first and then see about adding weights and progressing further. It's nice to know I'm not alone. :smile:
  • kirstyb393
    Options
    I have done 30ds and i am 220lbs x
  • kristina104
    kristina104 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't think your weight would be an issue, and as others have said before, take it a bit easier the first time through to see how you feel and if you have any issues. I'm around 190, and tried to do it last summer (I've done it previously with no issues except for it kicking my butt) and ran into issues do to fracturing my ankle about a year and a half before that. My ankle just wasn't healed enough to take that sort of pressure. I've only recently started working out again, and am working on really rehabilitating my ankle, but once I do, I'll be taking on the 30DS again. Good Luck!
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I figure if people on Biggest Loser are doing harder more extreme workouts; anybody who is physically capable should be able to do 30DS. But that's just a personal opinion, anybody can argue if you'd like.
    tumblr_mknn8zttTa1r329a2o1_500.png
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You can modify some of the moves if you really feel you can't do them, push-ups etc and I would definitely recommend a pair of good knee supports because the impact of the jumping at your current weight might not be good for your joints but I would say stick with it! I did it, I wasn't overweight but I was terribly unfit and I felt that I made big changes after the 30 days, especially in my attitude to what I could do physically... Best of luck x
  • jsimler1
    jsimler1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I weigh 384...it hurts...but I did it...I didn't get to finish it due to some family issues and unexpected problems..but it is possible
  • StephieF87
    StephieF87 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba at 335 pounds, there where things that I couldnt do, the point is you just dont stop moving..if there is something you cant do, get up and march in place, jump..just move your booty :) Hope this helps! 40 pounds down here, it works trust me :)
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I want to try Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, but I want to know is there anyone on here that was/is severely obese and used it? It may seem silly, but as an obese person I'm worried it will be too much for me. I am 310 lbs. Since January I have tried to work out about 3 times a week for 20 mins, usually on the elliptical. I am bored with that, and I also always see people get amazing results with the 30 day program. However, these people are usually much smaller than myself, and although may not have been in shape before the program they certainly were carrying significantly less weight than me even when they started.

So, can a severely obese person do this program without a lot of complications? Are there other people like me (extremely overweight) out there that can tell their experience with this? I know I will be sore, and I can deal with that, but has anyone has a bad experience otherwise? Any information would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you in advance, and I apologize if I can't reply to everyone's comments. :flowerforyou: :heart: :smile:

I started the 30DS when i was 286 pounds - and a member of the "MORBIDLY OBESE" category. If I could do it, you can do it. And to this day, it is still one of my favorite DVDs. You just have to modify it to fit you. Don't make it easy on yourself, but you don't have to kill yourself either. Make it a challenge for yourself, try to go a bit harder each day, and you will be JUST FINE! :flowerforyou:
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I tried it at 320lbs and did only lvl 1 in fact i did lvl 1 a couple of times.

Make sure you wear shoes for the extra support, the 2nd time I did it I ended up with an arch injury and an achillies heel injury, not fun, but I did it barefoot. I think at my weight I needed the support from the shoes.
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at 290 pounds, and I have been doing the 30 Day Shred 2-4 days a week. A couple of things to keep in mind... If your knees and ankles can't take the jumping jacks, do a step-touch side to side with the arm movements. This will keep you moving and be MUCH lower impact. Do the modified moves shown in the video. I started with 3 pound weights so I could get the benefit of the strength moves while keeping form. If you can't handle a move, don't quit... keep moving! Just as an example... the bicycle crunches are still too much for me, so I keep doing regular crunches during that part. Another great workout for beginners (or us big gals) is the Biggest Loser Boot Camp. Good Luck!!!
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I think it's doable. I was around 265 when I started at the beginning of march (and I'm 5'2"). Took me about 8 times of doing level one before I could do the whole thing straight thru. Still modifying the pushups, but I think I may be close to stopping that.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    by bmi I'm considered "obese" but I'm 175, but I just saw on youtube the other day this girl who was probably around your weight or more and she was doing the shred and loved it I say go for it you can do it!!!!
  • haleyjester
    haleyjester Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I would say yea go for it. Just like someone else said, if those people on Biggest Loser are doing that kinda stuff plus some you should definitly be able to. As long as you have no other health issues, maybe check with your doctor. Also just do what you can, dont beat yourself up if you are having trouble or cant do some moves. And of course dont give up cause it does get easier as you go.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I started the shred at 5'6" and 260 pounds. It was difficult, but definitely doable. I was not happy with Jillian at the end. I had great results with it. I would say it less of your size and more fitness level. Even though I am obese. I have played sports and been pretty active the entire time, so the 30 day shred was nothing too intense for me. Now, eating clean, THAT is what kills me. Good luck!
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I did level one and my knees didn't like the jumping jacks and jump rope moves but besides that I was able to do the rest of the moves. I got bored with it and just can't get the motivation to try level 2. It does get easier as you do it several times and you will get to know what feels the best for you. Good luck!