I am going to try the "eat more" thing again.....

Options
1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
Someone recently gave me a pretty good explanation of how the "eat more to weigh less" thing works, but I can't remember which thread it was posted in. I went searching for TDEE and BMR calculators, but as you may already know, they are all different. The first one had me at nearly 2000 calories fro a day. I figured that had to be wrong. Here are all the different calculations I got:
BMR is as variable as well. So how does this work? How am I supposed to figure anything out based on this info? I don't assume any calculator will be exactly accurate, but I would hope to at least get within 100 calories of my real number. In the past I have experimented with all kinds of caloric intakes. I have done everything from 1200 calories to 2000 a day with anything over 1200 causing me to always gain and never lose. I don't know why I want to believe I should be eating more than that. It just isn't much food to be eating even when eating only whole food. Who has a helpful insight or advice here?

Replies

• kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Options

Thank you. I appreciate the info. However this really didn't clear it up for me. I get the concept behind the "eat more" idea, but I am trying to work out just how much more. That seems to be where I lose confidence in the idea. How can so much variation be narrowed down. Also, when I did the calculations in your post I came up with 1211. this is where I really begin to question what I always read about the 1200 calorie intake. Surely it can't really be right, my calculations that is.
  • michellepenrodschnee
    Options
    This link gives the full description of getting your TDEE, where to pull your numbers from (and then average the multiple outcomes). He also provides a link way down at the bottom to an excel sheet that will actually give you all of that information in one place. The multiple worksheets also help you decide which way you want to base your calorie deficit, based on types of activities and to set your macros! It's more information that you will every need but it seems to work :).

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0?hl=road+map&page=14#posts-14331640

I'm just starting out with this method, but I have found that staying in the range recommended here caused the scale to move when 1200 calories/day didn't! Good luck!!!
    Options
    This link gives the full description of getting your TDEE, where to pull your numbers from (and then average the multiple outcomes). He also provides a link way down at the bottom to an excel sheet that will actually give you all of that information in one place. The multiple worksheets also help you decide which way you want to base your calorie deficit, based on types of activities and to set your macros! It's more information that you will every need but it seems to work :).

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0?hl=road+map&page=14#posts-14331640

I'm just starting out with this method, but I have found that staying in the range recommended here caused the scale to move when 1200 calories/day didn't! Good luck!!!

Thanks. I will have to come back later to really go over that.
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try using this spreadsheet by heybales. Fill out all the info on the "Simple Setup" tab. Most will auto-fill on the other tabs. Should give you a good idea of body fat %, BMR, and TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones?hl=bmr+tdee+spreadsheet
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try using this spreadsheet by heybales. Fill out all the info on the "Simple Setup" tab. Most will auto-fill on the other tabs. Should give you a good idea of body fat %, BMR, and TDEE.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones?hl=bmr+tdee+spreadsheet

heybales is part of IPOARM, his spreadsheet is in the 2 links i provided.

Thanks, I didn't know that! I'll be saving those two links you provided for myself now. :smile:
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Just based on all the numbers you got, I'd try eating at 1600-1700 for a couple months and seeing how that works. Before, when you had tried the "eat more" things, how long did you try that for, because it typically takes at least 2 weeks, if not closer to 4-6 weeks for your body to adjust and start losing again.

1200 works because you're depriving your body. 1600 works because you're depriving your fat.
    Options
    Just based on all the numbers you got, I'd try eating at 1600-1700 for a couple months and seeing how that works. Before, when you had tried the "eat more" things, how long did you try that for, because it typically takes at least 2 weeks, if not closer to 4-6 weeks for your body to adjust and start losing again.

1200 works because you're depriving your body. 1600 works because you're depriving your fat.

I always give a dietary change at least 30 days before I try something else. It depends on what I am doing, some things show results faster than others. Food allergies for example can be discovered faster than other things. I do give it a fair chance to work before I throw it out and try something else.
    Options
    I think I will try starting with maybe 1600 calories a day after all I have read here. Maybe adjust in 100 calorie incremnets every month? hmmm.....
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think I will try starting with maybe 1600 calories a day after all I have read here. Maybe adjust in 100 calorie incremnets every month? hmmm.....

how you come up with that number?

It was probably just me. From what I've witnessed, it's easier to start somewhat small anyways. It might not be her magic number, but it's likely a lot closer than 1200 is to it.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Are the numbers in your first post your TDEE or your TDEE minus 20%?
    I've had good success using a number I derived from this site:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Also, if you don't already have one, get a food scale and measure everything, because as you up your goal calories, there's less room for error.
  • Sierrasdawn2
    Sierrasdawn2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
    Options

how you come up with that number?

I just plucked it up really. I figure it seems like a good midway point. I feel like my head is going to explode when I try to figure it out. :grumble:
    Options
    Are the numbers in your first post your TDEE or your TDEE minus 20%?
    I've had good success using a number I derived from this site:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Also, if you don't already have one, get a food scale and measure everything, because as you up your goal calories, there's less room for error.

The numbers in my original post came from several TDEE calculators. I was a little miffed that they were all so different. I assumed there was some standard formula but I now know there is more than one. I figured it using my own math based on a formula I came across, I now cannot find it again or I would post it. I thought there was no way my TDEE could be as high as the first calculator said, or as low as the next one said, so forth and so on. And I have used a scale for several years now. I weigh everything even my coffee creamer.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I, too, got lots of different numbers of varying degrees with all the different TDEE/ BMR calculators out there. I only looked into it when I first joined the site. To avoid all the confusion I just kept it simple by adding my stats into the MFP calculator and went by what it told me and you know what---it worked. Height, weight, age, goal weight, activity level.

Since I only have 5 pounds left to lose I tried the TDEE calculators again out of curiosity and didnt like the results. So I have again decided just to go by what MFP recommends my maintenance to be.

I think keeping things simple made the whole process easy for me.
    Options
    That's what I originally did, it stuck me at 1200. It seems to do that for an awful lot of people.
    Options
    That's what I originally did, it stuck me at 1200. It seems to do that for an awful lot of people.

I am assuming this is to me. No, the program wouldn't do that. as I said it's a new version of IPOARM. It came out last week i believe, I rewrote it.

Sorry, that was directed at Kelley. I should have quoted for clarity.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

How much did you want to lose a week? I noticed that it puts people at 1200 if they want to lose 2lbs a week. That was my goal and I had success at that rate. If you cant manage at 1200 then try for a slow erweight loss if you are relying on calorie control only to lose weight. If you are exercising than 1200 calories is still doable because you would have to eat back your exercise calories and may actually be consuming at least 1500 a day.

Im slowly climbing to mainentance and am set to .5 lb loss a week and am eating 1430 without exercise. With light exercise I am eating around 1600 and still losing the .5lb. With light exercise my maintenance level was 1720 i think. I plan on stepping up the exercise so maintenance would be closer to 2000 as long as I am doing the exercise. 1720-2000 is more than reasonable.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options

I always give a dietary change at least 30 days before I try something else. It depends on what I am doing, some things show results faster than others. Food allergies for example can be discovered faster than other things. I do give it a fair chance to work before I throw it out and try something else.

When I increased my calories from 1200 to 1600-1700 I gained 1 pound and kept it on for exactly four weeks to the day. The next day I lost a pound. Eight days later I lost another pound. Two days later I lost another pound. It was hard to stick it out seeing no results but I knew it was the right thing to do for me. 1200 calories wasn't working for me.
    I know it's hard to figure out which calculator to go with, but you've got to start somewhere. I chose fat2fitradio and it worked for me. Scooby's numbers seemed high at the time but adding in my cheat meals suggests otherwise. Pick one and go with it. Give it time and make adjustments if needed.
    Options

When I increased my calories from 1200 to 1600-1700 I gained 1 pound and kept it on for exactly four weeks to the day. The next day I lost a pound. Eight days later I lost another pound. Two days later I lost another pound. It was hard to stick it out seeing no results but I knew it was the right thing to do for me. 1200 calories wasn't working for me.
    I know it's hard to figure out which calculator to go with, but you've got to start somewhere. I chose fat2fitradio and it worked for me. Scooby's numbers seemed high at the time but adding in my cheat meals suggests otherwise. Pick one and go with it. Give it time and make adjustments if needed.
    Thanks for sharing this. It helps to have a ball park idea of what happens and when.