In need of encouragement

Options
Hello Guys!

Im new to the forum. Ive battled with my weight all my life. I'm trying to make some healthier choices in my life and thats why I signed up here. My addiction is soda. I love it so much but I know I need to give it up to see results. I'll be posting in here frequently so I hope to give as well as receive encouragement from you guys. Any tips you want to pass along I will be sure to listen.

Thanks,

Pretty

Replies

• m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Don't they have diet versions where you live?
  • andreamarce
    Options
    Hello I will say when I gave up soda I did notice a huge change because the soda bloats you up big time. For now though you could switch to diet and just slowly ween yourself off it, but in the end Soda is no good for us. I will have one once and awhile if I'm feeling it but I have got past needing it in my everyday life which is a plus! Once you ween yourself off it you won't feel the need to have it anymore. Best of Luck! :D You can do it.
  • lyndilu
    lyndilu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet coke 3 weeks ago. I had been drinking more than a 2L bottle a day, some days were closer to 2 2L bottles. The first week & a half were rough, headaches & no energy, but now I feel great. YOU CAN DO IT, just decide you don't need it!
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You can always add me for support :)
    I always welcome new pals!
  • LACarson
    LACarson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Switch to diet soda. I'd start with the clear sodas (sprite/7-up) as I found it was easier taste waste wise to switch to those. Set yourself a goal date and then give up soda all together. It's really not that hard if you ween yourself off it. The only other thought is detox. Some day that helps eliminate those sugar cravings from their diet. I'm going to go with the fact that 90% of it is desire and willpower. Hang in there.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you struggle with the idea of giving up completely try starting off with setting goals like only allowing yourself soda once you have had a glass of water or squash.

If you can get through the withdrawals like lyndilu just mentioned, you will feel the benefit but you have to really want it!
  • fisers
    fisers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    being healthy and at a healthy weight is what matters I mean thats why Im here as are others. My advise is to just give it up, like giving up certain things when pregnant its hard but the end results are well worth it. it should be the same for us as well, were all worth it. your choice is easy.
  • CarlottaGorda
    Options
    Not sure if this appeals to you or not ... but what about some sodium free seltzer or sparkling spring water (the seltzer is usually WAY cheaper) with a squeeze of lemon, or lime, or even an orange slice ...? I also noticed someone else suggested you start by cutting down, allowing yourself fewer servings, weaning yourself off. GOOD LUCK!
  • livelaughlovecrazy
    livelaughlovecrazy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand the love for soda, it was really hard for me to give it up and I still have to splurge on a Coke Zero every once in a while lol.

Try the 0 cal flavored carbonated waters, it still gives you the bubbles like soda so it kinda helps to curve the cravings..
  • FitnessGirl1980
    Options
    Hi, my name is Kristin and I am a fellow Soda-holic! While my mother got me hooked on the bubbly stuff when I was a child, I was lucky enough to be introduced only to the types that had no sugar in them.

I am still hooked on Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke, but like others have said before me, if you drink soda with sugar, first switch to the same brand without sugar.

After a while (maybe days, maybe weeks, maybe months) switch again, this time to carbonated waters with flavor but zero sugar.

Then switch to carbonated water with no additives.

When I say I am hooked on caffeinated diet sodas, I say that because sometimes I just have to have it. I cannot eat pizza, Tex-Mex burritos (my family is from Austin, TX) any type of Indian curries without it. But besides that I stick to carbonated water, always.

Love and the best of luck!

- K
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge soda addict, but I do absolutely hate diet soda. Instead, when we want something besides water we buy plain selzer water (club soda) and add in Crystal lite, Spark or Mio flavor enhancers. It's still hydrating but tastes like soda. Try it, you might like it!
  • jg3084
    jg3084 Posts: 6
    Options
    I LOVE seltzer! Polar has a new flavor called Orange Vanilla. Very tasty! It took me a while to get used to it but now I drink it every night. Some people squeeze lemon or lime in theirs and my sister puts a splash of juice in hers. Good luck you can do it!!!
  • jamien8807
    Options
    Hey,

First off, be glad you even realize this is your problem! What you are aware of, you can fix! Second, take a glance at this Men's Health (yes, I'm female, but I read this stuff) article: http://news.menshealth.com/the-truth-about-diet-soda/2011/07/07/ (copy and paste that link in your browser, for some reason I can't make it come up as a link - sorry!) Interestingly, it finds that diet soda may be more harmful to you and your body overall. I was shocked when I first read this article and I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE diet drinks (i.e. diet Dr. Pepper - perhaps my favorite, Fresca, diet coke, etc) however, when I read this article it all made sense. I stopped drinking pop in High School to lose weight (which was a while ago, yes) and started again in college because of the caffeine (plus shot chasers!). Thinking about the article, those diet drinks do just have this domino affect that make me want more and more of them, plus, I never feel fully satisfied when eating if I'm drinking a diet soda.

Having been out of college for 2 years now, I still find my addiction to be a problem at times, especially when I'm just having a craving - but for best results you can't just 100% eliminate what you love, sometimes you just have to let yourself have it. Majority of the time, though, what I have found to work best is finding some teas that you really enjoy. One that almost substitutes soda in my mind (because of how potent and flavorful it is) is by Good Earth and it's their Original Sweet and Spicy. Awesome part about tea is that it naturally does not have calories and it has caffeine! Not as much as pop, of course, but at least it's something! Play around with teas, though, and try them different ways, you can add honey, let them cool and add ice, or do whatever else comes to mind. Also, I find when I eat healthier foods, I crave water far more than anything else to really quench my thirst, and if you are not a huge fan of plain water, throw in some cucumber slices or lemon (or whatever you like!), Other idea, make smoothies! I just make smoothies with frozen fruit, plain Greek yogurt, and skim milk and they are delicious! You can also do variations of that idea using fresh fruit and flavored yogurts. It's hard to just go from pop straight to just plain water, and my hardest part is that I want more variety in what I'm drinking (which is what fizzy pop and all the flavors provide), but if you can substitute those and get your body trained to a healthier variety of flavors, all the better!

Hope this helps!!
  • tigsi
    tigsi Posts: 36
    Options
    Just get rid of the soda! I used to drink cola ALL the time. I felt like crap, I was sleepy all the time, I used to get tired easily. Since I don't drink cola I feel great! It makes a difference. Drink more water, tea and if you don't like plain water add a little bit of lemon or orange juice. Soda is extremely bad for you.
  • pammers719
    Options
    Good Afternoon PrettyReckles,

My downfall is sweet tea, I just love it; however, I made a choice a couple of months ago and tried diluting unsweet tea with sweet tea, not bad, I just had to get use to it gradually. Of course I don't stop drinking sweet tea all together once in a while I just had to given in "occasionally". I even tried this approach with cola products and split the diet with the regular, I'm not to fond of diet cola and it will take time to get use to it but its a start.

I feel that is where the weight gain started and I'm trying to think of different ways to eliminate sugar in my food intake because that is where the calories are and it seems everything is made of processed sugars these days.

Hope this helps, good luck in your journey!
  • 123emxx
    123emxx Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new too, only started monday and I've lost 3 lbs already :)