I stink at running!! Really :/

Options

Replies

• lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Really lol
    I am training for a 5k and am on week 4 of the C25K program (run 1/4 mile, walk 1/4 mile, run 1/2 mile, walk 1/2 mile and repeat).
    My fastest pace this week has been 15 min/mile averaging a 3.5 mph pace.
    I know this stinks! Is it even worth it?
    I really do like running. In high school I ran track but was a sprinter (100yd and 200yd dash, relays). I have never had endurance.
    I feel bummed because everyone seems to be doing <10 min miles.
    Should I give it up and try something else?

Oh, not everyone is doing <10 minute miles. Some are, some aren't. I usually run about a 12 minute mile. I've done marathons and was at about 13 minute miles. Sometimes it is hard being in the back of the pack, but it is what it is! I'd rather do it and be slow, than never have experienced it. Also, people seem to want to be good at running without practice. Running, like everything else, improves with practice. You are just in the beginning stages so don't be hard on yourself. You'll improve with time.
  • Kcerka62
    Kcerka62 Posts: 2
    Options
    My Dad ran every single day for 33 years - through blizzards, tendonitis (I know, a little OCD). He figured he ran over 76,000 miles in his time. I decided, in his memory and honor, I would run (after I shed 75lbs). I hate running. I do not get the same catharsis he did. But because I don't like things to beat me, or define me, I run - 5ks, Warrior Dash, etc. I am not fast, but I am determined. I don't care who else finishes where, but I like to try to beat my own personal best. And this will be the second year I host a 5k, in honor of my Dad, to raise money for mesothelioma research. I watched people last year cross the finish line in tears - for a lot of them, it was their first one, and a huge accomplishment.
    Run on. For you, and no one else. :)
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I felt this way just last night at the gym when I walked by guy who had his treadmill set at 7.6 mph and he ran at that for an hour like it was no problem. It made me feel like, "Why do I even run, I will be slow forever!"

But the truth is that when I started running 6 months ago I was running at your pace, a 15 minute mile. Now I can easily run a 10:30 minute mile pace for a 5K, which is still freaking slow compared to most people, but that is a lot of improvement without really focusing on improving. I didn't do C25K, or sprint intervals, which help you get faster, I just ran. I love running outside, and that is my favorite form of exercise now. 5 miles go by in no time at all! I don't check my pace anymore, I just push myself where I can and run for the feel of it.

I still like to do 5K races and have done many since I started, but it's hard to sign up for timed races because I know I will be at the back of the pack and I don't want to get discouraged. Just sign up for fun runs and have fun and be proud of yourself for doing it!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what everyone else has posted!

Who cares about the speed as long as your out there running and giving it your best! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Really lol
    I am training for a 5k and am on week 4 of the C25K program (run 1/4 mile, walk 1/4 mile, run 1/2 mile, walk 1/2 mile and repeat).
    I really do like running. In high school I ran track but was a sprinter (100yd and 200yd dash, relays). I have never had endurance.

It's totally up to you. If you enjoy it, then I say stop worrying about others and go enjoy yourself.

Or switch to sprints and do a HIIT running workout of sprints/walking.

Or switch to something totally different that you enjoy. But whatever you do, there is likely going to always be someone doing it better, harder or faster.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I run that slow also. I was going faster the first week but I was struggling to catch my breath and there was no way I would advance past week 2 lol I slowed it down to what is still hard, but I'm going to repeat weeks if I have to and commit to doing it every other day. I start week 4 tomorrow, if I don't decide to repeat week 3 and add an extra interval. It's not crazy easy for me either but I NEVER REGRET DOING IT. I feel good afterwards, and yeah - we're faster than the person on the couch.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Actually, some people really are designed to be sprinters and not mid- or long-distance runners. You might be one of them. This is determined by how much fast twitch muscle fiber you have and is largely genetic. I am a sprinter by nature, too. (By the way, if you are a born sprinter, you would probably make a decent weight lifter, too.)

That is me, to a T! I finally gave up on chasing the elusive 13.1 miles. I am content on getting my 5K time down below 27 mins as my new goal. Much, much better at sprinting (and lifting hahahahaha).

Yep :)

I figure it's better to find what your body is good at, and train to improve your potential there, rather than force your body to do something that is against its nature. I have never been even remotely tempted to do a marathon, for example, because I think my body is just not made for that. But I seem to have some lifting skillz. I am pretty close to benching .7 of my body weight--my understanding is that this is not bad (for a woman who has only been training with a barbell for 3 months).

There is something to be said for doing things that are unpleasant and that do not come easy. A good friend of mine is not at all flexible but has been stubbornly doing yoga for years, and she finally managed to get those palms on the floor in Uttanasana. A lot of natural tendencies can be overcome with practice, but you'll reach a limit eventually.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." -John Bingham
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." -John Bingham

I love this!
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

This might be my most favorite quote, ever! Thank you for sharing it! :flowerforyou:
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Back when I started almost exactly 3 years ago, I could do about 3/4 of a mile at 5mph. Now I'm up to 14+ mile on my long run and working towards my first marathon. It gets easier, trust me. Try breaking up your goal into smaller, more manageable chunks. Stick with C25K, it does work. Don't get down on yourself. The gains in speed and endurance will come with time. Best of luck!
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    I can't even run half a mile. Even at school, our 'long' runs that we had to do were 800m and 1500m and they both killed me. I'd love to be able to run - I actually enjoy it for maybe a minute or two before the pain starts and I can't breathe.
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Original poster-- It's a month later. Are you still running? Have you progressed passed week 4? Have you gotten any faster? Come on..... inquiring minds want to know. :smile:
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    Keep going! My issue is that I don't like it AND I'm not good at it.....but I keep going! I just did my very first 10K. It doesn't matter how slow you go, you're still going faster than the ones on the couch. :happy:
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose is to quit. I started C25k not able to run more than 30 seconds in January, and finished a 5k last month with a time of 34 minutes. Then, this morning, I barely made it a full mile. It just wasn't happening. It's you versus the road, and sometimes the road just wins. It's never easy, only fun sometimes, but ALWAYS worth it. Just stick with it, give it your all, and it WILL happen. :)
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! I don't run all that fast but I'm most definitely faster than my husband who is sitting in the recliner.
    Good luck with your 5K!
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I hated running. But I started in February and I'm not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm running a 5k next week and I'm just looking forward to crossing the finish line!! Doesn't matter how long it will take me, I've only just begun. And I'm sure the next time I run one (hopefully some time in June), I will finish faster.

Don't give up. Especially if it's something you LIKE!! LOL Seriously. You'll get faster -- and if it's only by a couple of seconds, it's still faster, right?
  • nlewis22
    nlewis22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Here's my take: If you LIKE running, why in the world would you stop? You're not doing it for anyone else! You're doing it for you! It's free therapy, it keeps you healthy, and I'm guessing it keeps you sane. So why would you ever stop?!?!!?
  • junkie_99
    junkie_99 Posts: 26
    Options
    Really lol

You don't stink at running! It takes a lot of training to hit <10 min/mile. Keep running, you'll get there!
  • BohoLovin
    BohoLovin Posts: 19
    Options
    I haven't read the thread, but I am also doing C25k, and my advice would be to not compare yourself to other people, but only to yourself. Today, I ran for ten minutes. Sure, the program wants me to run for 20, and I barely ran 2 miles, and my pace was only 14:55, and I've been running since Dec. 31st, and am only on week 5, day 3 of the program, but I am so proud of myself. I ran for 10 minutes today. When I started running for 30 seconds was hard! You can't get bogged down in what others progress is, only your own. So you run slow, so what? You are running, and you have to give yourself time to build that endurance.