Best macros to get lean?

Options
Hi guys,my goal is to shed a few more pounds and get lean so I'm eating in deficit and heavy lifting 3x week cardio 2x week!
My protein intake is 160g (30%) but how much fat do I need? Is 25% fat and 45% carbs a good set up?

Replies

• AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's recommended to eat 0.5 grams of fat per total body weight. So figure that out and fill the rest of your calories with carbs, or even more fat and protein. I usually keep my fat around 80g a day. (thats not quite .5 per pound but still good)
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    40%P/10%F/50%C
    and
    40%P/40%F/10%C

will both yield the same fat loss results if you are in a deficit... it's more about high protein and lower calories regardless of %'s of macros... I personally tend to have high carbs on training days, high fat on rest-days... and 1g/kg is a good level of fat as an average throughout the week
    Hi guys,my goal is to shed a few more pounds and get lean so I'm eating in deficit and heavy lifting 3x week cardio 2x week!
    My protein intake is 160g (30%) but how much fat do I need? Is 25% fat and 45% carbs a good set up?
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's a good split. That's how mine are set and I lift heavy 3x per week. I view it as 30% is the MINIMUM amount of protein I need. If I go over occasionally it's no big deal.

Another popular split for lifters is 40/30/30 protein/carbs/fat.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    IDK...I'm pretty lean (around 17% bf and losing) and I do 25% protein, 50% fat, and 25% carbs
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    I eat a gram of protein per pound of body weight and when I follow it (unlike I have been, please don't go by my current picture) it works out really well, and I can get pretty lean.
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    Cool thanks for responses guys/girls!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    IDK...I'm pretty lean (around 17% bf and losing) and I do 25% protein, 50% fat, and 25% carbs

^^^That's pretty close to where I'm at. 20% protein, 50% fat and 30%carbs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It depends on your calorie intake because protein and fat minimums are by the number of grams. For me, it works out to be 45/20/35.
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    240g carbs
    160g protein
    59g fat

Does that look ok?
  • LeenaRuns
    Options
    240g carbs
    160g protein
    59g fat

Does that look ok?

300 or more grams/day - Danger Zone!

Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

150-300 grams/day – Steady, Insidious Weight Gain

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

100-150 grams/day – Primal Blueprint Maintenance Range (This is where I eat)

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

50-100 grams/day – Primal Sweet Spot for Effortless Weight Loss

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#ixzz2PQPMYqqx
  • Vaisaxena
    Options
    Not sure where you found this but that is complete nonsense... 300g carbs is insidious weight gain??? carbs don't make people fat... calories do. I eat well over 400g of carbs on training days 3x per week - no metabolic syndrome to speak of.

Easy to reach with the “normal” American diet (cereals, pasta, rice, bread, waffles, pancakes, muffins, soft drinks, packaged snacks, sweets, desserts). High risk of excess fat storage, inflammation, increased disease markers including Metabolic Syndrome or diabetes. Sharp reduction of grains and other processed carbs is critical unless you are on the “chronic cardio” treadmill (which has its own major drawbacks).

Continued higher insulin-stimulating effect prevents efficient fat burning and contributes to widespread chronic disease conditions. This range – irresponsibly recommended by the USDA and other diet authorities – can lead to the statistical US average gain of 1.5 pounds of fat per year for forty years.

This range based on body weight and activity level. When combined with Primal exercises, allows for genetically optimal fat burning and muscle development. Range derived from Grok’s (ancestors’) example of enjoying abundant vegetables and fruits and avoiding grains and sugars.

Minimizes insulin production and ramps up fat metabolism. By meeting average daily protein requirements (.7 – 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight formula), eating nutritious vegetables and fruits (easy to stay in 50-100 gram range, even with generous servings), and staying satisfied with delicious high fat foods (meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds), you can lose one to two pounds of body fat per week and then keep it off forever by eating in the maintenance range.

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#ixzz2PQPMYqqx
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

You actually look a little leaner than 17%. it could just be the picture, but I'd guess more like 14-15%. Either way, nice work :smile:
  • LeenaRuns
    Options
    Um...link at the bottom? But good job reading.
    Not sure where you found this but that is complete nonsense... 300g carbs is insidious weight gain??? carbs don't make people fat... calories do. I eat well over 400g of carbs on training days 3x per week - no metabolic syndrome to speak of.

• stestut
    stestut Posts: 42
    Options
    I am not a professional, yet. But for the last 12 months or so I have been following a 45% Carbs, 15% fats and 40% protein diet, on 1200 calories on rest days and 1500 on others. 3 days a week I get in 30-45 min of cardio plus heavy weight and TRX training, the other 2-3 days I work on 45-60 min of cardio only. This has worked for me.

As I have tried to drop these last 15-20#, I have changed things up...For 2 weeks, I would follow a 3 day cycle starting with 2 days of 30% Carbs, 15% Fats and 55% protein. Then one day of the high carb days as mentioned above. And when I speak of carbs, I mean whole grain carbs, not white starchy ones. In fact, I have changed all of my breads, pastas & rice to whole grain. I will have the occasional baked potato...maybe 1ce every 2 months or something like that.

Again, this is what has worked for me. Worth a try?? Maybe it will work for you?
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Um...link at the bottom? But good job reading.

I have eaten 250 to 300 carbs daily for years and have had a slow, steady loss (46 lbs). But as a cyclist I (and runner) I use a lot of carbs for fuel. But yes, stating that 300 cals of carbs a day will lead to a steady gain is nonsense. Those in pro cycling world routinely far exceed that and are some of the skinniest people around. Most cycling coaches recommend way more carbs than I eat, like hundreds more daily than I eat. Carbs are fuel!
  • Vaisaxena
    Options
    I second this - not that I'm a cyclist, nor do I condone extended periods of endurance in anyway. But the concept is somewhat correct.

Also - suggesting diabetics to be in ketosis for fat loss is absurd. A diabetic (1, 2) is highly prone to ketoacidosis which can be life threatening.

You cannot believe everything you read on the internet - do your own research and use discretion.
    For example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3165600
    I have eaten 250 to 300 carbs daily for years and have had a slow, steady loss (46 lbs). But as a cyclist I (and runner) I use a lot of carbs for fuel. But yes, stating that 300 cals of carbs a day will lead to a steady gain is nonsense. Those in pro cycling world routinely far exceed that and are some of the skinniest people around. Most cycling coaches recommend way mare carbs than I eat, like hundreds more daily than I eat. Carbs are fuel!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    As a PS to my previous comment, in Chris Carmichael's book "Food for Fitness", the recommended carb intake for my weight and activity level is 400 to 500 grams a day, or 1,600 to 2,000 calories per day. Iv'e never come anywhere close to that, but thousands of people follow this advice. Carmichael, through his Carmichael Training Institute, has successfully trained/coached more pro and elite level cyclists than anyone else on earth, including the likes of Lance Armstrong ( I probably shouldn't open that bucket of worms)! They follow a high carb regimen and enjoy unparalleled success in health and fitness. Anyway, my points are two. 1. High carb intake does not automatically lead to weight gain. 2. Carbs are fuel for the body and there is no need whatsoever to avoid them. If you have success with Paleo, Adkins, South Beach or whatever, good for you. Do what works for you. But avoiding carbs is not necessary. There is no need for the average person to avoid or severely restrict an entire food group to lose weight and be healthy. What's the proper mix of carbs/protein/fat? As one can see in the many post here people have had success with a wide variety of ratios. There is no magic ratio, each of the macros has it's place in a good, well rounded diet.