Office Lunch

Options
Ok..just need to stay connected to MFP at the moment while the rest of my office orders lunch from one of my favorite places..Portland Pie Company, which is actually a pizza and amazing sandwich pub!! I am only on day 3 back on MFP, usually we order out a couple times a week, but I am limiting myself to Fridays, and of course good choices. I know I could order something yummy, and healthy, but it is so much easier to count calories and feel successful when I eat what I bring. So, just needed to ramble to people who are in the same boat, otherwise I would hear "you can get a healthy sandwich" or "just be good at dinner"....

Have a successful day everyone!

Replies

• bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    Keep at it! You not only know exactly what you're eating but you're saving some $$ too.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have successfully kept off 20lbs and I really think it is the fact that I bring a lunch and snacks everyday to work. If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. I participate in food days and the odd pizza day but I kinda feel very empowered to beable to say no and stick to it.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have successfully kept off 20lbs and I really think it is the fact that I bring a lunch and snacks everyday to work. If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail. I participate in food days and the odd pizza day but I kinda feel very empowered to beable to say no and stick to it.

Oh my god. Best motivational quote EVER!!!!!

No, but it's true though. Days that I forget my lunch, I am off track. Period. Like today, I've only got 300 calories left for the day and it's noon. I still have the afternoon snack I know I'll need and dinner. BAH
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want to waste my nice salad!

Good on you for establishing, and sticking to, a few reasonable rules!
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I sit in an office full of guys who love to order takeaways for lunch, you will sometimes find a curry or a kebab in our office or a greasy portion of chips, it has been hard but I have so far managed to keep out of the loop, it also seems like my efforts have been noticed as less and less takeaways have been ordered.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The guys at my job ALWAYS order lunch. Tacos, burgers, pizza, you name it. Just stick to your guns and say NO! Bring your lunch, do not cheat (hey now we all do it, just one bite is still a bite!!) and i like your idea of opting in for something healthy on Fridays.

Be sure that healthy means you checked the nutritional value on their menu and didn't just opt for a salad that's likely more calories than a burger and fries.
  • Jbrown6684
    Jbrown6684 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Being new in an office environment (I was in the field as a sales rep), its amazing how many people order in! I didnt even used to eat at all during the day. It's also hard to distract myself from the "donation" bin in the kitchen that gets you a candy bar...."its for a good cause though!". Its definitely hard but worth it in the end!

Dont get me wrong - Im also all about indulging on certain days. It makes you want to stay on it when you can indulge every now & then.
  • caseym87
    caseym87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I leave the office at lunch time when everyone's eating takeout. I eat my lunch at my desk then go to the store or walk around or something.
  • djr140
    djr140 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your support! I knew I could get the motivation and support I needed here!! :smile:
  • bthewes2
    bthewes2 Posts: 23
    Options
    Just an idea we came up with at our office was to have a "Weight Watch Food Day" Everyone brought pot luck of Weight Watcher foods with calories per serving and points. It was a huge success! It wasn't all that unhealthy either. A lot of different takes on salads.

We also encourage people to only bring in half of what they think will feed the team. That way there are not leftovers sitting out all day.

Good Luck all!
  • kbalonis
    kbalonis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Portland Pie?? Are you in Portland Maine? If so we are neighbors. I have been eating at my desk for some time now. Then walking for a few miles. Saves money and is better for you.
  • djr140
    djr140 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Actaully, I work in Nashua, NH and there is one up the street!
  • summergirl_nj
    summergirl_nj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stay strong. I know the first few weeks are the hardest. But think how great you are going to feel when you drop those pounds.
    Have a great day..

:smile:
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate!!! There's actually a coworker who has recently lost about 15 lbs and decided to take a week off of eating healthy and working out.....I just need her to quit asking me if I want a slice of her pizza, a bite of her chicken wings, etc....

Stay strong!!! :)
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Every single night I pack up Breakfast, Lunch, and an afternoon snack for work the next day. I also keep a bowl of fruit on my desk for my mid morning snack.

My breakfast is always straight proteins... 2 eggs scrambled with 1/2 an ounce of cheese and some sort of leftover meat from dinner the night before (today it's 2 oz of London Broil).

My morning snack (from my fruit bowl) is whatever fruit is in season and cheapest. This week I've got 5 bananas in it. (@.49 a lb how can you eat anything else?!)

Right now my lunch of choice is a nice fruit salad and a container of vanilla greek yogurt for dipping my fruit. YUM! Since summer is just about here this will probably last through the fruit season... I can't WAIT to add fresh raspberries and blackberries to it!

My afternoon snack is always the same. A bento box with cauliflower, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, and celery. One little container has salad dressing in it. This will change a bit with summer as well as fresh veggie varieties are more available.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Ok..just need to stay connected to MFP at the moment while the rest of my office orders lunch from one of my favorite places..Portland Pie Company, which is actually a pizza and amazing sandwich pub!! I am only on day 3 back on MFP, usually we order out a couple times a week, but I am limiting myself to Fridays, and of course good choices. I know I could order something yummy, and healthy, but it is so much easier to count calories and feel successful when I eat what I bring. So, just needed to ramble to people who are in the same boat, otherwise I would hear "you can get a healthy sandwich" or "just be good at dinner"....

Have a successful day everyone!

As long as the restaurant doesn't close tomorrow (and I'm guessing it most definitely won't if it's that good), you can always get more later. You don't have to have it today. They make more every day.

^Remembering that helps me to not overeat or binge. There will always be more food and more chances to eat tasty stuff.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Not only that but think of all the money you're saving by eating your own food instead of buying lunch with the rest of the crew. Maybe as a treat put the money aside that you would have spent on that lunch and at the end of the month buy yourself a new blouse or smaller jeans to celebrate. :smile:
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Good for you resisting the temptation. Your body will feel better from avoiding crappy takeout anyway.

It amazes me how many people waste money on takeout during the work week. I have been bringing my breakfast, lunch, and snacks to work for over a year now. I am so used to my homemade food that the idea of takeout skeeves me out. I always feel like a bloated pig when I ate takeout. Besides that, I save $200 a month bringing my own food and have kept my weight off, too.

If you cant get people to make better food choices in the office try and get them to calculate how much money they are spending monthly on takeout. Let it build up by getting them to figure out daily, weekly, then total monthly so the shock factor sticks. Maybe they will be disguested by that number if they are not disgusted by the food :tongue:
  • Pinkkfrost
    Pinkkfrost Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Lol, Portland OR here, and I eat out every day and it is SOOO hard! I'm just working on finding the fast food/deli type places that are as healthy as possible. I just found a vegan place that does comfort foods. Sooo exciting.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Way to be strong!! I only eat lunch out 2 or 3 times a month now. Brown bagging saves me calories, fats, and sodium. Not to mention money. I eat at my desk and spend my lunch hour working out.