Afraid of failing?

Options
kiwi6685
kiwi6685 Posts: 19 Member
This may sound really stupid, but I had an epiphany the other day. I realized that one of the biggest reasons that I have been unable to lose weight in the past is because I am terrified of failing! I don't know why I am so scared but it is very difficult for me to make some big changes because the minute that people start asking if I am losing weight, I fall off the "bandwagon" and start gaining it all back again.
It is the dumbest thing ever, but my fear literally sends chills up my spine, even thinking about starting a "diet" and failing at it.
Am I the only one? Do I just need to put myself through therapy or is this "normal"?!?

Replies

• nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    You are definitely not the only one. I'm so afraid of failure that over the course of my life, I would rather not try something than do it less than perfectly. I never danced in public whatsoever, from homecoming to prom to friends' weddings for fear of looking ridiculous. Over the summer, I went to listen to a family member perform at a club one night and finally let myself get dragged onto the dance floor. Shocker...I had a good time.

One of the hardest things I've ever done is to admit to friends, family, and passing acquaintances that I'm working on losing weight to enlist. The most surprising reaction I got was from a number of people that told me that I'm their inspiration to take control of their own health.

I'm learning that it doesn't have to be perfect and that not perfect =/= failure. Cut yourself some slack, because even if you have a bad day, eat all the food and do none of the exercise, tomorrow, you can start again.
  • babsybabe28
    Options
    Hi there. I have been here too.
    Don't give yourself a hard time.
    See this a lifestyle change/ a healthy eating plan and not a diet. Also give yourself the odd treat. If you tell yourself you cannot have something you will only want it more.
    Good luck xx
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I was there too. Until I hit 170lbs on my 5'4 frame, then I realized if I didn't get myself in check I wouldn't be failing at weight loss, I would be failing my own future. Now I take accountability for everything I do, I am the only reason I was like that and I am the only one who can fix it. 31 pounds down, and feeling way better now!

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."
  • corisg
    corisg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can relate. Nobody wants to fail. Nobody wants to gain weight that they have lost. I would like to say that everyone who has lost weight has failed at some point. Wanting to be healthy is a daily and life long task. There will be times when you may overeat or not want to exercise. I've been there numerous times. It is ok. Just take it day by day. Commit to trying to do what works for you the next day. Feel free to add me. :smile:
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time, so I didn't tell anyone I was losing weight (except my boyfriend). Once I lost about 25 pounds, people started saying, "You look like you're losing weight." It definitely took the pressure off. Once I got to 30 pounds, I didn't feel so weird talking about it because I'd gotten over my personal hurdle. People don't check in very often because I tend to post when I've lost another 10 pounds. My mom is the only one who asks with any regularity.
  • kiwi6685
    kiwi6685 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I decided last night that food and I have some issues we need to work through, so I am going to start meeting with a counselor friend of mine on a regular basis to do weigh ins and talk about how I have been feeling lately. But, it is good to know that I am not the only one that feels this way! :)