Signed up for My first Marathon

Options
I just signed up to run my first marathon(Austin Marathon) in February, I'm so nervous just thinking about it, I ran 2 half marathons before so I know how hard this will be. I'm hoping to lose a few lbs so I can run better, but having the kids at home from school this summer is slowing down my progress, I'm not exercising as I should and eating way too much; I need motivation.

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Iha-I did that marathon last year. It's a GREAT course! The back half of the course is mostly downhill, and it's a beautiful finish. IMO, you're in the best city in the world for motivation! I'm looking to do that race too. Good luck!
  • CAworkout
    CAworkout Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I'm doing my first marathon in three weeks after doing a handful of halfs. Training gets overwhelming at times, but when you accomplish a long run and think about how amazing it is that your body carried you through, you forget about how challenging it is. As for weight loss, you may just end up having to intentionally eat more from all the running. I recommned getting the book The Complete Book of Running. It's put out by Runner's World and has been a great resource. Best of luck!!
  • JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I can't even run for more than 4 minutes on the treadmill, so you must be very fit!

That will be a great experience for you to have under your belt.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I just signed up to run my first marathon(Austin Marathon) in February, I'm so nervous just thinking about it, I ran 2 half marathons before so I know how hard this will be. I'm hoping to lose a few lbs so I can run better, but having the kids at home from school this summer is slowing down my progress, I'm not exercising as I should and eating way too much; I need motivation.
    You will lose wt theres no way to avoid it. When you have 20 mile training runs(and this should be your LONGEST training run.) BUT dont focus on losing wt focus on quality training. Eat 60-30-10 ration of carbs-protien-fat and of course make them quality. Motivation very very very very easy. You are doing what people sit around and WISH they could do. Running a marathon. I wont lie it is very draining when you peak because you have time tgo work and train. BUT its all great in the end. I had to drop from my first because I got injured but am doing a second in ocotber. Remember to have fun and enjoy the glory!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Congrats good luck!
  • Heather_023
    Heather_023 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 halves and am doing my first full marathon in September... It does feel overwhelming doesn't it?! I've only been training 'officially' for two weeks and have already been losing more weight than I have in a long time so I wouldn't worry about that if I were you.

Have a great run!