Shin Splints..work through or rest them?

Options
Trying to do the 30 Day shred w/ JM. Encountered shin splints and sore knees for the first time. I enjoy the challenge, but the pain is keeping from moving forward concerned with doing damage. Any helpful ideas or information on addressing these issues?

Replies

• Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Get a good pair of shoes for overpronation... ideally I would recommend orthotic insoles to correct the problem
    Trying to do the 30 Day shred w/ JM. Encountered shin splints and sore knees for the first time. I enjoy the challenge, but the pain is keeping from moving forward concerned with doing damage. Any helpful ideas or information on addressing these issues?
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Could definitely be pronation issues as mentioned above. Also might be incorrect form. Try to identify the moves where you become conscious of the knee pain, and do those moves in front of a mirror to make sure your form is correct. I normally would say that working through the pain is best, but not if the pain is more than minor, and not if you're just doing more exercises with the wrong form, which could lead to an injury.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The only way to heal shin splints is to rest. FIll up dixie cups with water about half way, freeze them and then roll them up an down your shins for relief. There's not a real "cure" per se, but getting shoes that fit your feet well and using proper alignment will help. Also, when taking off and landing jumps make sure you bend your knees, so bend knees, jump, land, bend knees. Practice that slowly until you feel comfortable and it becomes a fluid motion. If you keep your knees locked when you take off or land you will aggravate your shin splints.

* I have shin splints that I got from dance, I have been dancing for 24 years and have my bachelor's degree in dance, and I have been teaching for 5 years. This is what I have found from personal experience. See a medical professional for more in depth information*
  • babynun
    babynun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need to rest! It may take a few days to feel better but that's ok. Make sure you rest, ice, compress and elevate them if possible. Take some NSAIDs if you can tolerate it. If after a few days you're not feeling better, you should make an appointment to see your provider because it could be an early stress fracture...

I've had shin splints before and they're painful. Could barely put any pressure on my legs making moving/walking difficulty. I increased intensity too fast and running daily on a hard surface. I never stretched before or after my runs either.

Good Luck.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Time to look up Pronation. Thank you.
    Could definitely be pronation issues as mentioned above. Also might be incorrect form. Try to identify the moves where you become conscious of the knee pain, and do those moves in front of a mirror to make sure your form is correct. I normally would say that working through the pain is best, but not if the pain is more than minor, and not if you're just doing more exercises with the wrong form, which could lead to an injury.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I believe the jumps are the issue, and will try to focus on a bent knee approach. Also will try the ice. Should jumps be landing on the tips and front of the feet? Going to give it another try. I enjoy the Challenge. Just not the pain.
    The only way to heal shin splints is to rest. FIll up dixie cups with water about half way, freeze them and then roll them up an down your shins for relief. There's not a real "cure" per se, but getting shoes that fit your feet well and using proper alignment will help. Also, when taking off and landing jumps make sure you bend your knees, so bend knees, jump, land, bend knees. Practice that slowly until you feel comfortable and it becomes a fluid motion. If you keep your knees locked when you take off or land you will aggravate your shin splints.

* I have shin splints that I got from dance, I have been dancing for 24 years and have my bachelor's degree in dance, and I have been teaching for 5 years. This is what I have found from personal experience. See a medical professional for more in depth information*
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    rest!!....and then go to a sport shoes store and get professionally fitted for the right kind of shoe. I had all kinds of issues when I began running but then i was fitted and I have zero issues since I got the new shoes.