Skinny fat?

Options
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum so I have a number of questions.

I am underweight (I am 5"3 and weigh 90 pounds). I am not exactly sure how I lost the weight (my normal weight was usually between 105-110 which was still on the low end) but I've been at this weight for 3 years or so now. I imagine too much cardio/bad eating habits was the likely culprit. My goal is to gain back the weight I lost and be at a healthy weight level.

I have been reading a lot on the internet about the "skinny fat" phenomenon and I am not sure if I fit that description. I certainly am very skinny everywhere except on my belly where it is soft and flabby. I have read that I need to eat more (and better) and work out to build muscle without doing too much cardio.

However, does anyone have any tips on what exactly I should be doing (what sort of workouts, what I should be eating etc.)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Eat, Train, Progress" group to get awesome advice on how to gain weight and workout to combat the flabbiness.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    lots of protein and strength training and make sure you eat enough!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Eat, Train, Progress" group to get awesome advice on how to gain weight and workout to combat the flabbiness.

This.

To me you don't sound "skinny fat", skinny fat is pretty extreme. Sounds like you just need to do a little bit of body recomposition. Check out that group you'll get tons of great advice.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Compound/whole body strength program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5, or possibly New Rules Of Lifting For Women. And 1g protein per pound of lean body mass per day. And a calories surplus of 10-20% above TDEE.

Eat, Train, Progress will give you a more personalised & detailed answer.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    At your current weight, you might want to consult your doctor about the best way to gain and exercise. Please don't worry about being "skinny fat" at this point.

Please take care of yourself.
  • newbie444
    Options
    At your current weight, you might want to consult your doctor about the best way to gain and exercise. Please don't worry about being "skinny fat" at this point.

I appreciate your concern. I have consulted a doctor and my blood tests etc have all been normal. I thought for sure I would be low in iron at this weight but I surprisingly was not (albeit I was at the low end of the range). The only advice I received from my doctor was to gain weight which is easier said than done. My doctor also said it was fine for me to work out provided that I continued to eat well.

My concern wasn't about being 'skinny fat' per se but rather on what sorts of workout (and nutrition) I should engage in to gain weight healthily.

Thank you all for your responses!
  • newbie444
    Options
    Also would someone mind telling me how I would find that group? I literally just signed up with this site and can't seem to figure out where the 'groups' are. Thanks again!
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I wrote an article about fixing skinny-fat here:
    http://liftstuff.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-skinny-fat-annihilation-protocol.html
    Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum so I have a number of questions.

I am underweight (I am 5"3 and weigh 90 pounds). I am not exactly sure how I lost the weight (my normal weight was usually between 105-110 which was still on the low end) but I've been at this weight for 3 years or so now. I imagine too much cardio/bad eating habits was the likely culprit. My goal is to gain back the weight I lost and be at a healthy weight level.

I have been reading a lot on the internet about the "skinny fat" phenomenon and I am not sure if I fit that description. I certainly am very skinny everywhere except on my belly where it is soft and flabby. I have read that I need to eat more (and better) and work out to build muscle without doing too much cardio.

However, does anyone have any tips on what exactly I should be doing (what sort of workouts, what I should be eating etc.)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Also would someone mind telling me how I would find that group? I literally just signed up with this site and can't seem to figure out where the 'groups' are. Thanks again!

Up on the top there is links to the message boards, groups, etc. but here is the link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    Hey. I hate this phrase but unfortunately it describes me pretty well. I'm towards the lower end of 'healthy BMI' and have a small build overall but no muscles or strength to speak of. I'm trying to do a lot of strength exercises. I don't go to a gym so it's just bodyweight stuff at the moment, but I do some exercises every day always trying to improve on my number of reps, and I have seen an improvement.
  • dexter4564
    dexter4564 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Skinnyfat guy reporting in.

I'm going to start P90X in ten days, I already have everything I need waiting next to my bed. What I'd suggest is trying something like insanity but make sure you don't eat at a calorie deficit. You should be able to build some muscle and tone your flabby skin.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options

I appreciate your concern. I have consulted a doctor and my blood tests etc have all been normal. I thought for sure I would be low in iron at this weight but I surprisingly was not (albeit I was at the low end of the range). The only advice I received from my doctor was to gain weight which is easier said than done. My doctor also said it was fine for me to work out provided that I continued to eat well.

My concern wasn't about being 'skinny fat' per se but rather on what sorts of workout (and nutrition) I should engage in to gain weight healthily.

That's great that you checked with your doctor first. I meant that in the most genuine way possible and hope it didn't come across the wrong way. There is a lot of great advice on these forums and I hope you find what you need.
  • newbie444
    Options

That's great that you checked with your doctor first. I meant that in the most genuine way possible and hope it didn't come across the wrong way. There is a lot of great advice on these forums and I hope you find what you need.

Not at all! I know my reply was on the defensive side but I wanted to ensure that people knew my goals were legitimate and healthy. Thanks again!