Breakfast ideas needed

Options
I am a teacher, and I like to eat my breakfast at school while I am reading my email. I have been eating oatmeal everyday, and it is filling and relatively healthy. I am getting a bit tired of it, though. I am looking for suggestions I can easily make or keep at work to have for breakfast. I do have access to a fridge and microwave to use as well as eating something that I can just pull out of my desk drawer. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Today I took a PB&J sandwich and an apple for my breakfast. Some days I'll have yogurt with thawed frozen fruit and rolled oats and unsweetened coconut sprinkled on top. Yum! Smoothies are always easy and taste good. I normally have oatmeal for breakfast in the winter so I'm trying to change up my breakfast routine too!
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast - in case you haven't already tried that.

http://liftstuff.blogspot.com/2012/09/your-intermittent-fasting-questions.html
    I am a teacher, and I like to eat my breakfast at school while I am reading my email. I have been eating oatmeal everyday, and it is filling and relatively healthy. I am getting a bit tired of it, though. I am looking for suggestions I can easily make or keep at work to have for breakfast. I do have access to a fridge and microwave to use as well as eating something that I can just pull out of my desk drawer. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Netteyc
    Netteyc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How about a low fat yogurt with a fruit salad? Or you could take a continental breakfast - sliced meats, low fat cheese, some fruit. Or a cereal bar!
  • Netteyc
    Netteyc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Corn and Ham Muffins

These are really nice:

•2 cups plain flour
    •1 teaspoon baking powder
    •1 egg
    •1 cup low fat milk
    •2 tablespoons olive oil
    •1 x 125g (1/2 cup) can corn kernels , well drained
    •3 slices (50g or 1.7oz.) ham, finely diced
    •1/4 red capsicum, finely chopped
    •2 teaspoons finely chopped chives

1.Preheat oven to 180 degrees (160 degrees fan forced).
    2.Sift flour and baking powder into large bowl. Mix egg, milk and oil together.
    3.Place wet ingredients with corn, ham, capsicum & chives into the flour, & fold in very carefully.
    4.Spoon mixture into a greased 6 hole muffin tin.
    5.Cook for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
    6.Serve warm with your favourite chutney or relish.

Servings:

196 Calories each, 4g Fat
  • dianna_p3
    dianna_p3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher too... I need quick and easy for breakfast because time is very limited.

Oatmeal and grits don't fill me up and so I am usually reaching for a snack before lunch. The last few days I have toasted one slice of whole wheat bread, added 1 tbsp peanut butter and topped it with 1/2 banana. I have made it to lunch both days without craving a snack or feeling hungry.
  • kariannmbc
    kariannmbc Posts: 144
    Options
    My breakfasts vary a ton, and I usually eat at work. These are my most frequent (they all include coffee):
    - cheese stick (or slices) & fruit
    - slice of bread with nut butter w/fruit or jam
    - hard boiled egg
    - scone (okay, not the most healthy)
    - muffin
    - Greek yogurt with nuts or granola
    - cottage cheese

ETA: when I eat at home, I'll do oatmeal, scrambled eggs, or something like that.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I tend to make "baggie" scrambled eggs or omlets the day before. If you make these you can seperate them according to your diet.

Get a ziplock bag (preferably freezer bags), add a little oil or butter to the inside and rub around (to keep from sticking)
    mix your eggs (add whatever you want), add them to baggie, then boil them in water, cook until med soft, remove and place in refrigerator or lunch box, microwave to warm

This way you can have eggs to take with you and no dishes to wash.

Learned this while teaching boy scouts.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt with mango and banana

scrambled eggs mixed with avocado and veggies in a tortilla

leftovers from last night

toast with pb&j or pb and honey or banana

Chocolate whey protein powder milk. :~p

add ground flax seed to most things.

steel cut oats don't seem to fill me.. odd. but i mix them with fruit too.
  • EmiBun
    EmiBun Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    1) Smoothies: Filled with favorite fruits, avocado, peanut butter, milk, protein powders etc.
    2) Homemade waffles/pancakes(Made with whole grains) Topped with nut butters, berries, light/SF/reg. maple syrup
    3) Omelet/egg sandwich/wrap: Puts eggs in a wrap, on a bagel, English muffin, between two slices toast. Fill it with cheese, veggies, or other toppings of choice.
    4) Toast/bagel: WW topped with pb, jelly, low fat cream cheese, butter, or plain.
    5) Cereal/granola and milk/yogurt: Top granola on greek yogurt(pref. plain) load it up with nuts and berries and your good to go.
    6) Baked oatmeal: Bake it in a oiled ramekin with less liquid(or use fruit puree instead) and make a "muffin" (Look up chocolatecoveredkatie.com she makes a **** ton of healthy DELICIOUS breakfast ideas, boatmeal included)
  • simonhalee
    Options
    Skipping meals are not an option because I become physically ill from not eating.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Hard boil some eggs to grab in the morning

Make a quiche and eat a slice for breakfast either cold or reheated
  • pterradactyl
    Options
    I really like the PowerBar performance energy bars-they're glorified candy bars but they seem to do the trick nonetheless, especially with a banana or an apple. Also good is cottage cheese or Greek yogurt and a piece of fruit. Smoothies/drinkable things can also be nice.
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with fruit and/or yogurt mixed in.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Fruit and nuts.

Yummy, filling, nutritious, portable! A good sized high-calorie fruit (like banana) will be about 100 calories, and a handful of nuts will add 200.

I like to add lentils or beans and maybe some rice, but I'm a fan of a big breakfast. I usually just pull it out of the fridge and eat it cold.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cereal. Keep some milk in your fridge and bring your favorite cereal in a tupperware. It's easy and has a variety (I love raisin Bran). If you miss something warm, just make coffee or tea on the side.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I worked and ate breakfast at my desk every day I would take a container of "lite" yogurt, about 1/8 cup of granola, and about 1/2 cup of mixed fresh fruit to work and mix them all up together in a styrofoam cup and eat that for breakfast. Now I'm retired I'm basically eating the same thing for breakfast except now I just spoon some yogurt out of a large container instead of using the individual cups. Also I've added a couple tablespoons of protein powder to my mix.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast but something fast and easy (done night before) is egg salad.
    I'm boring so I just use 3 eggs and 3 tbsp light miracle whip which is only like 270 cals.
  • rustynan
    rustynan Posts: 1
    Options
    Well, I had a similar problem when I worked. A few cooked eggs, some turkey bacon (put in microwave) cold cereal w/almond milk (I wish I knew about that when I worked..) If you have time to eat cold cereal. Yogurt is good. Bananas/fruit cut up. I hope that helped a little.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've been eating overnight oatmeal the last few weeks and I'm hooked. It taste nothing like regular oatmeal.

1/2 cup of oatmeal
    1/2 cup of almond milk
    1/2 cup of Greek yogurt
    1/2 ounce of crainsins
    1/2 ounce slice almonds
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have 6 egg whites every morning I add, salsa or other veggies to it.
    I have made breakfast cookies...6 egg whites blended with 3/4 oatmeal...you can add nuts or dried fruits (coconut) cinnamon.
    Or make a huge batch of breakfast burritos...and then just freeze them.

saw a post of how to make a huge batch of them on Pinterest