So confused -TDEE, BMR and why I am I not losing!!?

Options
AnneU93
AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
So I have read about every single post that is ever possible to find to figure out why I am not losing -including doing the in place of a road map a million times and also the metabolic reset.

I am 20 years old, female. 75 kg, 174 cm (166lbs 5'9") I am danish so if you look at my diary you will see plenty of danish words, but I ensure you that there are not a lot of processed foods in it (I like to cook myself) and that there are plenty of vegetables.

I have already gone to the doctor and the doctor said that nothing was wrong with my metabolism.

I only ever drink water -I eliminated everything else as being something you could possibly drink back in August of 2012.

I use my scale religiously to track even the littlest food that go into my mouth.

Now the thing is -I have done what I am supposed to do -> calculated my BMR wit fat2fit: as prescribed by in place of a road map 3.0

Entered information: 20 year old female, 68.5 inches tall, weighing 166 pounds, BMI of 24.9 (Normal weight).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 166 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula
There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1605 calories.

Katch-McArdle Forumla
The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 28.8%, you have a lean body mass of 118 lbs., and your BMR is 1529 calories.

Which makes my BMR between 1500-1600 calories.

Now how much should I eat:

Activity Level Daily Calories
Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1926
Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2207
Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2488
Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2769
Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3050

I am a student and in Denmark that means sitting down in the same classroom, not moving all day and then when I come home I sit down at the computer /because I am addicted to MFP as others are to Facebook). I do exercise, but I use the Polar ft40 HRM to calculate my exercise calories and I eat those back. Therefore I would make med sedentary.

Now that gives me 1926 calories to maintain on days that I don't exercise. And to lose 1lb a week I need a deficit of 500 calories -> 1926 - 500 = 1426 -but wait this is way less than my BMR and everybody is saying that you can't eat less than your BMR, but then the math just doesn't add up.

Changing my activity level to lightly active won't make a difference cause that just means that my exercise has already been added and I would still have to net my BMR and therefore still only making my deficit 200-300 calories.

All in all the math isn't working. I haven't lost any weight (except water fluctuations) in 3 months.

Would someone just please tell me what is up and down and what to do?

Much Appreciated
Anne

P.S. has also been posted under general weight loss help, but most of the people who is having success with weight loss don't roam in that forum.

Replies

• bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion, and do with it what you want, as I'm no expert by any means, I just know what works for me...eat your daily calories, but don't eat back workout calories...since what you are saying is that your calorie intake is pretty nutrient rich calories, I'd say that you should be ok not to eat back your workout calories...at least while you're tryin. To lose...start eating back workout calories, once you attain your goal so that you maintain...also MORE EXERCISE!!! I know it's not always easy, but the thing is, muscle burns calories even when it's not "working" hard (like when you're Hangin out browsing MFP or something) so logically, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn even at a rest...don't believe me? Look at athletes (I'll use one that has been noted for his diet) like Michael phelps...he consumes over 12,000 calories a day, and there's not an ounce of fat on that guy...so those would be my suggestions...WORK, and a little less intake for a bit.
  • kbrhelker23
    Options
    im going through the same thing, i just found out about BMR nd TDEE yesterday, MPF set me to eat 1200 cal a day. i am 23 years old 60 in tall and weight 172, i have gained 6lbs since i started eating pretty clean and working out 5-6 days a week. pretty discouraging, and since then i have stayed at 172 for about a month now. so i found out about BMR and TDEE and i should be eating around 1900 cal a day with those calculations, which kind of makes me mad that MPF said 1200, so i have been eating to little to loose BUMMER. but im super nervous to eat more it sounds rediculous to eat that many calories to lose, i mean in a healthy way ... at max i eat like 1400 cal a day and i am full the whole day. but i have noticed the days i eat under 1200 i am almost lethargically tired, workout has been suffering last two days. SO i will give it a go for a few weeks, maybe ill start off with 15-1600 cal first. hopefully it works :0)
  • AnneU93
    Options
    Just a suggestion, and do with it what you want, as I'm no expert by any means, I just know what works for me...eat your daily calories, but don't eat back workout calories...since what you are saying is that your calorie intake is pretty nutrient rich calories, I'd say that you should be ok not to eat back your workout calories...at least while you're tryin. To lose...start eating back workout calories, once you attain your goal so that you maintain...also MORE EXERCISE!!! I know it's not always easy, but the thing is, muscle burns calories even when it's not "working" hard (like when you're Hangin out browsing MFP or something) so logically, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn even at a rest...don't believe me? Look at athletes (I'll use one that has been noted for his diet) like Michael phelps...he consumes over 12,000 calories a day, and there's not an ounce of fat on that guy...so those would be my suggestions...WORK, and a little less intake for a bit.

I would just swim in tacos if I could eat 12,000 calories a day!!
  • Rgl2112
    Rgl2112 Posts: 4
    Options
    Subtracting 500 isn't necessary for everyone. I would subtract no more than 20% of your TDEE, and as you get closer to your goal and have less to lose, change that to 15% and then 10% and finally 5%.

That way your body gets use to your maintenance caloric intake.

Based on 20%, you should be eating 1541 which is right around your BMR. If you are truly sedentary, and you are eating back your calories, I would eat no less than that number. As you get closer, change it to TDEE- 15 which is 1637, etc.

You have lost 8 kg already, so you are in the correct direction. Just make sure you aren't underfeeding.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Online calculators only give you a guideline. Your actual number might be lower.
    You apparently are not creating a consistent calorie deficit, or else you would be losing. First off, you need to be measuring everything accurately and logging everything, every day. A quick look thru your diary showed quite a few days that weren't filled in completely.
    Try doing this consistently, and sticking to 1600 total cals, without eating back exer cals, and see what happens in a month.
    Patience and consistency is the key. You can do this!
  • nicholeuf
    nicholeuf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started out at a similar weight (160's). I am 5'6". I used the BMR tool in MyFitnessPal and it suggested I eat somewhere around 1400 calories a day (going off of memory), which was based on losing 1 pound a week with a lightly active lifestyle. I lost about 30 lbs in 4 months with that strategy. I am now in maintenance mode and I am eating in the 1800-1900 calorie range. I ate my exercise calories most of the time. I ate as clean as much as possible, exercised 3 days a week, and tracked my food and it worked! Also, I did not follow the protein/carb/fat suggestions. I only ate 30g of carbs in every meal and all snacks were a combination of fat/protein with a vegetable or fruit. A limited carb diet works better for me. Based on my experience, the calorie suggestions you mention seem a little high, but maybe that's due to the height difference? I hope you find an solution that works for you!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are too focused on numbers and way to stressed out about those numbers. You have a broken metabolism. You didn't gain weight because you were a lazy glutton. And you can't fix a broken metabolism by increase energy expenditure while decreasing energy intake. You might improve things but you won't fix them because that isn't where the problem is manifested. You have to regain your metabolic flexibility - that can take months or it can take years. But you're young and your body can possibly bounce back pretty quickly. I've been Primal for about 2 years now. I've had my ups and downs but I've managed to fix some inside damage. I'll never stop evolving my WOE and lifestyle, though.

And it's going to take more than a bunch of numbers to fix it.

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/

http://www.gnolls.org/3374/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie-to-your-body/

http://www.gnolls.org/1984/the-science-behind-the-low-carb-flu-and-how-to-regain-your-metabolic-flexibility/ (the article is much more than a "low-carb flu" discussion)

http://www.primallyinspired.com/the-problem-with-counting-calories/

I have a lot more links on my profile - from the sites I frequent the most. Once I stopped with the whole stupid numbers game (they are based on averages and none of us are average) and started looking at what I was putting in my mouth things got easier.

Eat only what you can pick, dig or spear. Mostly spear.

I'm 42 years old. The lowest weight I have been since before puberty. I'm getting healthier every day while everyone else around me my age are collecting doctors visits, doctors bills and medications. I don't take a single one and I feel amazing!!

(and exercise is stress. The body treats it as stress. Exercise is breaking down. Gains are made during recovery/rest. More exercise isn't necessarily better - search "Tabata Sprints" on Mark's Daily Apple. Sheer hell for 8 minutes and you're done). It's the quality/intensity of the exercise, not the quantity - you can also search "chronic cardio" on MDA). You don't have to follow the lifestyle to take away something from his articles.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    You've read and researched enough on MFP to already know all you need to know. Your only missing piece is; EXERCISE! It is really not hard at all to get in 30 minutes of exercise per day. Once you start to do that, it will all become clear to you. A great place to start is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred because it's only about 1/2hour per day and gets great results. The first level is free on youtube from Lionsgate BeFit channel. If you want more variety, check out fitnessblender.com where you will find a huge range of free workouts--HIIT, Pilates, Kickboxing, strength/toning...whatever you want. Just do something everyday. Get yourself as addicted to workouts, as you are to MFP (I'm not judging--I'm addicted too!!). It's the missing piece of the puzzle. You'll get results, feel better, and be healthier.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Ok, I just checked your diary and noticed a few things. First, alot of quick add calories. Be careful about that, first that you have calculated correctly and aren't selling yourself short, and also because it doesn't take into consideration macros, which you might eventually be interested in knowing (especially if building muscle, in order to change body composition and help with metabolism). Second, I see some exercise in your diary, so why'd you say "sedentary"? If you are working out, from the few days I looked at, you are not eating enough. I am twice your age and I am eating 2000 calories per day (and sometimes going over, without even caring).
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are too focused on numbers and way to stressed out about those numbers. You have a broken metabolism. You didn't gain weight because you were a lazy glutton. And you can't fix a broken metabolism by increase energy expenditure while decreasing energy intake. You might improve things but you won't fix them because that isn't where the problem is manifested. You have to regain your metabolic flexibility - that can take months or it can take years. But you're young and your body can possibly bounce back pretty quickly. I've been Primal for about 2 years now. I've had my ups and downs but I've managed to fix some inside damage. I'll never stop evolving my WOE and lifestyle, though.

And it's going to take more than a bunch of numbers to fix it.

http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/19/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-1/
    http://thatpaleoguy.com/2012/12/24/calorie-rants-and-ketosis-part-2/

http://www.gnolls.org/3374/there-is-no-such-thing-as-a-calorie-to-your-body/

http://www.gnolls.org/1984/the-science-behind-the-low-carb-flu-and-how-to-regain-your-metabolic-flexibility/ (the article is much more than a "low-carb flu" discussion)

http://www.primallyinspired.com/the-problem-with-counting-calories/

I have a lot more links on my profile - from the sites I frequent the most. Once I stopped with the whole stupid numbers game (they are based on averages and none of us are average) and started looking at what I was putting in my mouth things got easier.

Eat only what you can pick, dig or spear. Mostly spear.

I'm 42 years old. The lowest weight I have been since before puberty. I'm getting healthier every day while everyone else around me my age are collecting doctors visits, doctors bills and medications. I don't take a single one and I feel amazing!!

(and exercise is stress. The body treats it as stress. Exercise is breaking down. Gains are made during recovery/rest. More exercise isn't necessarily better - search "Tabata Sprints" on Mark's Daily Apple. Sheer hell for 8 minutes and you're done). It's the quality/intensity of the exercise, not the quantity - you can also search "chronic cardio" on MDA). You don't have to follow the lifestyle to take away something from his articles.

For clarification I wasn't telling her to over work, and under eat...from the way she described her plight, she made it sound as though she doesn't excercise regularly, and when she does she eats back every single calorie...which is causing her to maintain...so using simple logic, if you increase work, and stop eating back calories you will be at a deficit...enough so that weight loss should resume...I don't encourage having unhealthy habits, and if you read her opening statement it clearly states that she's seen a doctor about her metabolism, and that the doctor said there was nothing wrong with it...not arguing, I just don't want anyone to think I'm trying to influence people towards unhealthy habits.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Just because you aren't losing weight doesn't mean that your body isn't improving.

Eat what seems right to you and switch up your exercise routine. Try and keep track of your measurements and take photos instead of what you see on the scale.

You might be losing fat while gaining muscle.
  • AnneU93
    Options
    Just because you aren't losing weight doesn't mean that your body isn't improving.

Eat what seems right to you and switch up your exercise routine. Try and keep track of your measurements and take photos instead of what you see on the scale.

You might be losing fat while gaining muscle.

As I have written, I have a very expensive scale that measures body fat%, muscle mass, water balance and bone density and nothing is moving except water is going up and down a little everyday changing from the one to the other so therefore just water fluctuations.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Its very confusing to admit it all

heres my take - change your food intake up slightly and eat back your excercise calories less 20%, try this for a couple of weeks and you will see the weight begin to move
    your body has possibly aclimatised itself to your input output levels and is holding on to every calorie consumed hence no weight loss
    so confuse it and it will start to come off
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My 2cents

You have over estimated your exercise calorie burn, Heart Rate monitors are just an indication and never completely accurate. Also calorie intake by logging again is an estimation as there is margin for error.
    ( I always log 20- 25% less of estimated calorie burn through exercise)

If you are not losing then change something be it increase your exercise and don't eat back your exercise calories examine for 2 weeks and see if there is a change?

Our bodies are all different so have patience and keep going...
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Just do what works.

Everyone on MFP is constantly on about not eating less than 1200 calories a day. My BMR for my stats is 1050. If I ate 1200 and did no exercise, 1200 calories would cause me to gain.

You can't take everything you read on here as gospel. What works for someone might not work for someone else. You need to experiment and find out what works for you as an individual - even if it goes against the conventional wisdom.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    You are at a normal, healthy weight for your height, so it's going to be a lot more difficult for you to lose than someone that is overweight. I'm not sure what your goal weight is, but at your size a 20% deficit is too high. Take 10% off your TDEE and aim for a 0.5lb a week weight loss, and give it some time. Patience is the most important thing.

Also, is it your body or your weight that you want to change? Personally I think you would be better off ditching the scales and try picking up some weights instead. You won't lose lbs, but you will lose inches.

Edited to add: a friend of mine on here uses this method:

Day 1: Eat at your TDEE
    Day 2: Eat at 20% below your TDEE

And alternate. This will give you your 10% deficit.

He said this broke him out of a year long plateau. Something to do with the body being under pressure when it's constantly at a deficit, so the days where you hit your TDEE help. But to be honest, I don't know too much about the science of it, but you could message him and ask. He's Pu_239.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    if you're not losing weight, then you need to cut your daily calories down, regardless of what you think your BMR is, and apparant concerns at eating below BMR.
    Take 100 cals off whatever your daily allowance is at the moment. Exercise more, and eat back your exercise calories. Do this for a month. If you haven't lost any weight, then take another 100cals off and repeat for a month.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what is wrong with a 200 or 300 calorie deficit?

as you are already in the healthy range, you should expect your weigt loss to be slow - half a pound a week is about right. too large a deficit can work against you when you dont have loads to lose.

try TDEE -10% for 6 weeks,,,, measure and take pics, if you get no results, then change it up.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Right, I've looked at your food diary and you eat a ridiculous amount of fat.
    Sort your macro's out...
    Hit your protein target of 100g/day..
    Don't eat so much fat, 0.35g/lb of LBM. Which probably works out to be less than 50g/day!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I agree with hpsnickers...

Read That Paleo Guy; Marks Daily Apple; the Smarter Science of Slim... All good. Concentrate on the QUALITY of calories that you are eating. Do some resistance training.

FYI, I used to get uptight about TDEE and BMR... They are just numbers. If I eat under my BMR some days, but it's all good healthy food from lean proteins and vegetables and fruit, I'm not that worried. Most days I eat TDEE minus 500 or so, but it's just a guideline. I mean, how do I really know without getting in a bubble machine what my TDEE really is.... It's just an estimate depending which site you use.

Best wishes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!