is this true or rubbish?

Options
someone told me it takes about a fortnight for the food you have eaten to take affect on your body,what i mean is if you have a bad week where you eat junk food and crap and go over the top with your calorie intake it wont show on the scales till a fortnight later if you dont burn them of,thats not right is it?

Replies

• alphaip
    alphaip Posts: 86
    Options
    I say it's ye olde rubbish. They knew this was garbage over four score years ago.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    what is a fortnight? :huh:
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    what is a fortnight? :huh:

haha!! that was my question, too! :o)
  • Roy_Young
    Roy_Young Posts: 2
    Options
    A fortnight is two weeks .......
  • Qbanldy
    Qbanldy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's half true. It does take about a week for your prior bad week to show up on the scale. That was funny though and I learned a new word :laugh:
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    Although, even if you do exercise after several days of eating junk food, the scale likely WILL show an increase due to water weight, at least initially--all the sodium in processed foods has a huge impact on what shows on the scale.
  • apwinchester2
    Options
    Unfortunately for all the wonderful science that has produced useful data, there are still many many many unknowns about some of the marvels of the human body. There is not a complete and absolute scientific story about how all nutritional elements of diet are processed thru the gut and other body paths into their commonly thought of "ending" place. For instance iron supplements can take about 8 weeks to have full effect on reducing anemia. Does it take 8 weeks to get out of the gut – well no, but the body can only do so much with it - and most of it is in blood, but not all.
    How excess energy is processed by the body and deposited as fat is an even more complicated set of paths. The body does not take a bag of chips, grab them from the gut and IMMEDIATELY deposit fat cells. It's way way more complicated. There are many sources of energy the body can use, and usually any one individual is optimized for one – like sugars vs protein – they are different metabolic processes. The body will metabolize some of it and the rate of that metabolism depends on other factors. There are various factors affecting when energy excesses are stored in fats. And all kinds of other processes and factors, I think you get the idea.
    So does it take a fortnight to show up on a scale - Well maybe, and maybe not.
    Do some nutrients take days for the body to make use of - Yes, probably
    Is alot of weight gain fom a week of junk food mostly water from too much salt – well maybe and maybe not
    Is there any way to tell with absolute certainty – NO.

But, we all know a week of eating junk isn't good for you – no matter what the scale says :)
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I say it's ye olde rubbish. They knew this was garbage over four score years ago.

Omg, that made me laugh out loud!!! :laugh:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hope not...I'm not stepping on the scales next week if this is the case :flowerforyou: And I lost 5lbs this week!

Yep....a fortnight is 2 weeks! lol x:flowerforyou: