what time to workout????

Options
so i work out in the evening most times. i spend all day cleaning , doing laundry , schoolwork etc... so by the end of the day im pretty drained kind of hungry but i try to workout anyways. some one told me that working out in the evening is senseless because i take a shower and go to bed soon after. so it got me thinking. is there a certain time of the day that is better to workout or a certain time of the day that burns more fat during a workout??

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is whenever you can get it done!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you're too tired by evening, try working out mid morning. I work out everyday around 10am. After breakfast and before lunch. I find that's when I have the most energy. But I work from home, so it's easy for me to do. That time might not be ideal for everyone.
  • SerenaBeans08
    SerenaBeans08 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I like to work out right before dinner because after I work out, I feel more inclined to eat healthier. Plus, I work all day so it's hard to squeeze one in before work.
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I find that working out in the mornings is better for me. I'm not sure if there really is a certain time that is better for EVERYONE. My personal opinion is as long as your working out that is what matters.
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i work out at 5am, or after work before dinner at 530pm. As long as you get the work out in, im sure any time works :)
  • angel_bear60
    angel_bear60 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i workout in the evenings before dinner. it helps me eat healthier, i'm better about portion control,i sleep better and it seems to be the right time to workout. but any time that you can exercise is a good time. plus you've already done some exercising with what you do during the day. i try not to exercise 2 hrs before bed or i stay up longer.
  • MichelleMagee0608
    Options
    I work out at 4:30 (yes am!) every other day, plus one day Saturday or Sunday. I have to be at work by 7:15 so that gives me a good hour workout and plenty of time to get home and get my family out the door. I used to go after work, but I found that my workouts were less intense because I was so tired. Working out in the morning gives me energy throughout my day, and I also feel like I sleep better at night. On the days that I don't go to the gym, I get to sleep in, (for me that's until 6:00). So I get those rest days in that I think are crucial, not only for the actual rest, but so that I don't get 'burnt out' from going every day.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Evening for me, I'm not a morning person when it comes to moving my body.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'll do it at any time. I don't really notice a difference. Lately I've been doing it at night because that's what my schedule allows for. I haven't noticed any difference from working out earlier in the day.
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    i guess its agreed anytime is a good time. but i think i may start exercising before i start cleaning. and tht every other morning thing sounded good just gtta see if i can fit that in somewhere. thanks everyone.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It does not matter what time of the day you work out, the key is if you can CONSISTENTLY work out around the same time everyday. If you can do this, it will trigger your body to release that human growth horomone because its anticipating that you are about to workout and its trying to help you by releasing the proper horomones for you to get the most effective burn/energy usage. Also a big key is if you ever incorporate resistance training in your routine, depending on how hard you push yourself you can get an "after burn" where your body is working harder and burning more calories (yes even at night when your sleeping) because its working hard to repair the muscles and get stronger. So if you enjoy working out at night by all means do it, and if you can keep a consistent time thats even better. I have switched to morning workouts just for my own personal preference because if i wait until evening after a long day at work I know I will make excuses to not work out haha... but you can do whatever fits your lifestyle best!:wink:
  • michellewong699
    michellewong699 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually try to work out before I head to class. I am a full time college student and, when I work out in the morning, I tend to be full of energy for the rest of the day. I have anemia so I have the most energy right when I wake up, and it gradually, but noticeably, decreases throughout the day.
    If I fit in the workout, I tend to get very tired at around dinner time rather than the afternoon. If I skip the morning workout, it is really hard to motivate myself to do it later on in the day when I feel slow and sluggish.
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    It does not matter what time of the day you work out, the key is if you can CONSISTENTLY work out around the same time everyday. If you can do this, it will trigger your body to release that human growth horomone because its anticipating that you are about to workout and its trying to help you by releasing the proper horomones for you to get the most effective burn/energy usage. Also a big key is if you ever incorporate resistance training in your routine, depending on how hard you push yourself you can get an "after burn" where your body is working harder and burning more calories (yes even at night when your sleeping) because its working hard to repair the muscles and get stronger. So if you enjoy working out at night by all means do it, and if you can keep a consistent time thats even better. I have switched to morning workouts just for my own personal preference because if i wait until evening after a long day at work I know I will make excuses to not work out haha... but you can do whatever fits your lifestyle best!:wink:

AWESOME totally makes sense!!!!
  • FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I get up early (4:50AM) and head to the gym before work. I wouldn't be able to fit it in the evenings and I feel like I start my day off on the right foot with a workout ;)
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Supposedly morning workout is better because you get to ride on the elevated metabolic rate for the rest of the day. Your metabolism slows down considerably when you sleep, so evening workouts don't give you as much residual burn. Still, the most important thing is to do it frequently. An evening workout is much, much better than no workout!

I don't have time to workout in the morning, so I work out in the evening like most people with day jobs.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If it is a short run, I prefer to do it in the morning before breakfast or anything to eat. That forces my body to used stored energy. BUT...that more often than not doesn't happen due to work, so I get it in when I can.
  • carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Too close to bedtime can keep you awake but you actually burn the calories whle you sleep. Most doctors don't advise it but if that is the only time you have at least give yourself time to unwind even after the shower before bed. Let that heartrate go down first. my opinion.