The No S Diet

Options
Anyone here have a weekness for sweets like me? I do and oh'boy do I hate it!

This morning, I decided to search for easy ways to try and help vercome this hump and I found the "No S Diet Plan" quite interesting. I plan to start it today and decided to share it with MFP, for all those people with a weakness to sweets like me.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************
FYI: Feel free to add me as a friend too, so we can hate on sweets all day long. LOL

HEGHT: 5'8
CW: 180
GW: 160-155

***************************************************************************************************************************************************
The No S Diet, also known as the "Grandma Diet," the "Why Didn't I Think of that Diet," and the "No $ Diet" is a program of systematic moderation.

No funny science or calorie accounting involved, just a few simple and mnemonic tricks for building sustainably "good enough" eating habits.

There are just three rules and one exception:

•No Snacks (But I cant tell a lie, I dont plan to skip my fruit Snacks)
•No Sweets
•No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S"

That's it.

Apparently, do that and you'll probably lose most if not all of your excess weight. You'll probably start eating better as well as less. And you'll enjoy eating a whole lot more.

How could something this simple possibly work? Precisely because it's simple -- or rather, following the Einsteinian dictum, "as simple as possible, but not simpler." Because it is simple, sustainable, and you aren't really depriving yourself of anything. You don't have to sacrifice anything -- not time, not health, not money, not any delicious thing. No pleasure is denied, just unobtrusively delayed and contained. Served up on the platter of limited opportunity, each pleasure becomes even more enjoyable than it was before. There are no magic potions and there are no poisons. You are targeting just the culprit, just the bad habit of overeating itself.

FYI: The No S Diet is a framework for controlling excess. Beyond that it makes no stipulations about your nutritional or gastronomic choices. That doesn't mean they're not important, they're just separate issues. Fight one enemy at a time, not three at once.

Keep in mind that the first three weeks are the hardest.

At three weeks the auto pilot of habit starts to kick in. Until then, make your portions sufficiently generous so that you aren't tempted to cheat. Once you've made it a few weeks without violating any of the literal rules, then you can start scaling the portions down a bit (though you may find, as I did, that you don't even need any conscious intervention on this score). The most important part is your mind. Once you get that lean and tough, the body will follow.

Replies

• mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If this "diet" causes you to eat at a calorie deficit, then you will lose weight. But if you are eating more calories than you burn, you will gain, regardless of what the makeup of those calories are. If those rules help you stay on track, go for it, but I would also track calories if I were you.

I typically don't have seconds, because I will take my calorie allotment in the first go. But I have snacks and sweets pretty much every day and I've lost 58 pounds.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Otherwise known as the "lose 5 pounds, gain 15 diet" or "like all other fads doesn't work diet."
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I started with No S and it worked! I've added in calorie counting and kind of mix the two up, which seems to work well for me. But I did start off losing with purely No S and I have a friend who lost all her weight (not as much as me) purely with No S. As with any diet, you do have to stick to it even at goal weight.

There's nothing magical claimed for and I don't think it's research-based, but the idea is that for most people, limiting your intake to three plates of food (and no sweets) five days a week will reduce your overall intake. Part of the idea is that you don't have to obsess over calories and it's more sustainable - personally, I do like to watch my calories as I started out a lot more overweight than most of the people who do No S. It's true that it does start to become habit.

I don't eat much that is sweet, so it probably wasn't the best diet for me in terms of cutting down my intake, but of course that made it easier to stick to! I did watch portion size too. I'm planning to do something like this in maintenance, mixing it up with calorie counting again just so that I can keep an eye on my intake.
  • Imparablelta
    Imparablelta Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Everyone is correct.
    There is no scientific result and if you eat more obviosly we gain.

Im currently eating more calories than what MFP suggest, but because Im going according to my TDEE...but Im totally working out 4-6 a week so Im good.

IM JUST LOOKING FOR A WAY TO MOTIVATE ME INTO LEARNING HOW TO AVOID SWEETS. This diet, I hope will!. I know

What am looking for is a way to avoid sweets; mentally. LMAO! So, I figure if I'd avoid 2 of the 3 S's lol
  • spanishgirl182006
    Options
    Are you on the No S Diet forum? I think the No S Diet is sensible and a good option for some people. I'm starting back on it today. I need to lose some weight!
  • spanishgirl182006
    Options
    Did you end up losing weight?
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Did you end up losing weight?

Just a heads up, the OP hasn't posted anything publicly at MFP since Mon 04/29/13 12:39 PM.
  • oolala53
    oolala53 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did lose down to my normal BMI range (around 40 lbs. lost) and have kept it and more off for nine years. But I was also very committed to ending my compulsive overeating and that meant eventually also being rather careful about what I put on my plate or in my bowl for meals. I used many thinking principles from Judith Beck and eventually Glenn Livingston. I also learned to use an effective coaching program to implement any eating plan. I offer it free to anyone I meet on MFP. It uses principles from a free book on Amazon: Never Binge Again. Take advantage! Otherwise your odds of staying on the diet see saw are over 95%.