Is toast better than bread?

Options
crabbok
crabbok Posts: 66 Member
Because after you toast it, are the calories "Burned" ?

Replies

• Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No.
  • mayeast
    mayeast Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Toast is always good - thankfully I don't have any bread in the house. Especially good with butter and marmite mixed and thinly spread.
  • Derpinaaa
    Derpinaaa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I see what you did there.
  • crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not even joking I just always thought that if you toats bread it changes the bread and it might have a different caloric content
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • mstyer2790
    mstyer2790 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Nope it's just like water to ice. Same content, different form:wink:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Toast makes a better frisbee than bread.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    maybe you like the roof of your mouth all cut and bleeding from the toast?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    had to come back for a giggle..
    giggle...
    giggle.,
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Sounds legit.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows 1 calorie is the energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water through 1 °C
    So if your toast is heated it has more calories because it can heat the water faster
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    s6rXbvn.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    s6rXbvn.gif

LOVE
  • Stumason2105
    Stumason2105 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Heating the bread causes a series of biochemical reactions between carbohydrates or sugars and amino acids, which are smaller units of proteins, on the surface of the bread. This changes the appearance of the bread, browning the surface of the toast, and causes a change in the flavor, because the chemical reaction creates new molecules on the surface of the bread through the Maillard reaction.

Unfortunately, toasting bread as part of a diet to cut carbohydrates will not be effective. The Maillard reaction does not significantly reduce the calories or carbohydrates in the slice of bread. The browning only takes place on the surface where the bread is placed next to the heating elements inside a toaster.

According to online nutrition information, a slice of untoasted wheat bread has 65 kcal while a toasted slice has 64.9 kcal. That is only a slight difference. Both the untoasted and toasted slice of bread have 11.8g carbohydrate, 2.3g protein and 1g total fat.

Long story short........No
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

if this is true (less calories because it's burned) i'm going to start burning all my food. burnt onion rings, burnt chicken nuggets, mmmmm how can i burn ice cream so it has less calories???? :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

The caloric reduction will probably be "measurable but insignificant" (like many other things that are discussed here on MFP).

I make my own bread and, when I use a bread mix, I need to track calories based on the weight of the dry mix in the bread that I've sliced. When I toast bread, it loses 10% if its mass due to toasting so I just multiply my pre-cooked weight by 0.9 to get the "dry weight" amount.

To address your question specifically - yes, there is a nutritional value to toasted bread that's missing in fresh bread.

I don't have the citation available (it would be great if "someone" followed up on this!) but a study was done in Germany (since 2000) that tested the nutritional value of toast vs fresh bread and they discovered that, by toasting, a certain substance that is believed to reduce the possibility of cancer in ≤insert name of laboratory animal here≥ is created that is absent in fresh bread.

I don't recall the amount of ≤name-of-substance≥ that was produced and, as best I recall, it was a substance that "might" have an impact on some type of cancer so I filed it in the "Yup, OK" folder.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i don't really advocate eating raw toast. what about salmonella and e coli?
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    You're GD right toast is better!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Heating the bread causes a series of biochemical reactions between carbohydrates or sugars and amino acids, which are smaller units of proteins, on the surface of the bread. This changes the appearance of the bread, browning the surface of the toast, and causes a change in the flavor, because the chemical reaction creates new molecules on the surface of the bread through the Maillard reaction.

Unfortunately, toasting bread as part of a diet to cut carbohydrates will not be effective. The Maillard reaction does not significantly reduce the calories or carbohydrates in the slice of bread. The browning only takes place on the surface where the bread is placed next to the heating elements inside a toaster.

According to online nutrition information, a slice of untoasted wheat bread has 65 kcal while a toasted slice has 64.9 kcal. That is only a slight difference. Both the untoasted and toasted slice of bread have 11.8g carbohydrate, 2.3g protein and 1g total fat.

Long story short........No

May I offer you a beer?