Should we eat what we burn?

Options
Hey Everyone!
So according to my HRM I burned 1000 calories during my workout this morning. When I put it in my tracker its obviously adds to what I have remaining for consumption the rest of the day. So should I really eat them? HELP!
Jen

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • urmyeffinstar
    urmyeffinstar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat them all back if you aren't hungry. But you should at least eat enough calories to give your body energy, they say 1,200 but it is different for everyone. Just listen to your bodies signals.
  • iiijeniii
    iiijeniii Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Like the previous person said, if you need more food because of exercising , eat. I am older so I don't burn like I used to so I count about half. I do have a problem with whether I am hungry or I am used to eating. Good luck.
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If you are using the MFP method, yes. There is a deficit factored in before exercise. Not eating back your exercise calories creates too large of a deficit. If you use the TDEE-20% method, no. Exercise is already factored in.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I would have to force myself to eat more than I want if I did that. So for me the answer is no. But, for some they might have to eat back at least some calories, like if for example they are budgeted 1500 calories (that would be too low for me), they might want to go up to 1800 but without creating a bigger deficit of calories than the 1000 they burned exercising. Yeah, that made some kind of sense when I typed it so the math. You have a 1200 calorie budget without exercise which creates a 500 calorie deficit (this is just an example not me by any means) Then you exercise off 1000 more calories to create a 1500 calorie deficit. I would say in that case you would want to eat back some of those calories, if you don't want to lose more than 2 lbs a week because it might be difficult to handle big shifts in your weight both mentally and physically.