coffe mug cup

Options
hi all, i can find the coffee i drink [kenco decaf white one sugar] but it comes up as a cup but i drink from a mug,
the drop down only comes up cup, with no other options.#
what can i do ?

Replies

• LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    By cup they mean 8 oz. Measure out how many ounces you drink, so if you drink 12 ounces you log it as 1.5 servings of what registers.
  • His_Buttercup2015
    His_Buttercup2015 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Most coffee cups hold about 6 oz. Since a cup is 8 oz I would put in .66 which is the equivalent of 2/3 of a cup. You're drinking 6 out of the 8 oz (6/8) so you are consuming 2/3 of the portion. 2/3=.66 Make sense? You can always measure exactly how much your mug holds by pouring your usual serving into a measuring cup and reading the oz. Then you put your oz divided by 8 oz to get the number to put into your serving size. Hope this helps!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking your coffee black with sugar, just count the sugar. The coffee is only a couple calories and most likely lower than the margin of error for black coffee.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking your coffee black with sugar, just count the sugar. The coffee is only a couple calories and most likely lower than the margin of error for black coffee.

This. There aren't enough calories to worry about getting the serving size exactly correct.

But for future reference on things that do matter, MFP is set up to take decimals. So you could put in that you had 1.4 servings of something. And most entries have a 1 oz/gm measurement so you could say you had 11 oz of something instead of 1 cup.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Pour the amount you would usually drink into a measuring cup. (I used water from the mug.)

Google cup to ounce conversion.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    Most coffee cups hold about 6 oz. Since a cup is 8 oz I would put in .66 which is the equivalent of 2/3 of a cup. You're drinking 6 out of the 8 oz (6/8) so you are consuming 2/3 of the portion. 2/3=.66 Make sense? You can always measure exactly how much your mug holds by pouring your usual serving into a measuring cup and reading the oz. Then you put your oz divided by 8 oz to get the number to put into your serving size. Hope this helps!

ummmm....math. 6/8 =/= 2/3. 6 oz is .75 of 8 oz, or 3/4.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    what can i do ?

Math. Ciphering and stuff.

I don't log coffee or the half-half I put in it. That's my vice. Step away.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Brewed coffee has like 2 calories per cup. Just drink it. If you land in the hospital, log 50 calories.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    hi all, i can find the coffee i drink [kenco decaf white one sugar] but it comes up as a cup but i drink from a mug,
    what can i do ?

The confusion comes as this is a USA site and they measure stuff in units called cups. They don't mean cups like us Brits use the word.

I'd just log the sugar and kenco as separate units - you'll see lots of stuff here measure in cups - but unless it is liquid it can be very inaccurate and so you are better off going for grams or oz's.

:drinker: Enjoy your coffee .

Edit: I think one cup is 250ml
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Coffee without the accoutrements like milk, cream and sugar, has negligible calories. You can log "coffee-brewed from grounds" and however many oz you drink, then add the individual measurements of milk, sugar etc. Then, save it as a "meal" and you can just enter one thing rather than three each time you drink coffee.

*eta: fixed spelling.
  • aaronlawrenc
    aaronlawrenc Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    ColbertNOOOOO.gif
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    INTENSE.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You should record it anyway. Not many calories, but 117 mg potassium per cup. Important to note if you are trying to improve you intake...

This. There aren't enough calories to worry about getting the serving size exactly correct.

But for future reference on things that do matter, MFP is set up to take decimals. So you could put in that you had 1.4 servings of something. And most entries have a 1 oz/gm measurement so you could say you had 11 oz of something instead of 1 cup.
  • His_Buttercup2015
    His_Buttercup2015 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Lol wow...my bad....:blushing:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You should record it anyway. Not many calories, but 117 mg potassium per cup. Important to note if you are trying to improve you intake...

pro-tip: do NOT rely on the MFP database for all of your micronutrients, *especially* potassium. Potassium in particular isn't listed on 90% of the foods in the database that contain it, and many other entries are missing vitamin and mineral information. Hell, last year I was inputting a steak that had 700 calories but no protein.
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options

Lol wow...my bad....:blushing:

happens to the best of us :) I just have math and grammar OCD, apparently.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I agree. That number comes from much research. I had to do even more work for the potassium content of this bean blend I bought. Companies aren't required to list potassium on nutrition labels. So recording it often takes some work.

pro-tip: do NOT rely on the MFP database for all of your micronutrients, *especially* potassium. Potassium in particular isn't listed on 90% of the foods in the database that contain it, and many other entries are missing vitamin and mineral information. Hell, last year I was inputting a steak that had 700 calories but no protein.
  • reverend10
    Options
    wow, didnt expect so many replies lol
    i think i got the idea tho, i take the coffee into accont as i can drink upto 10 a day if its a bad one , and i have semi skimmed at work and skimmed at home...dont ask lol
    and the occasional mc donalds cappachino, so tbh they are really worth adding as between them they add up.
    thank you all again :)