Who watches the sugars as much as counting total calories?

Options
Just curious, how many of you watch closely the sugars you take in as closely as the calories? I've been doing good with the calories but not with the sugars :( Thoughts?

Replies

• Danalynn39
    Options
    I have just added the column to mine for that. Because I tend to eat more if I'm not keeping my eye on it. You can update your tracking so it's is included which I wasn't aware of at first!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored. As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings. If this isn't the case for you there's no need to limit sugar.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Sugar, for me, is as important to watch as calories. So are fats, sodium, and carbs. However, I have been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, and HTN, DM, and high cholesterol run in the family...on both sides. If you want to watch sugars, go for it! There is no harm that can come from it. Just don't worry too much if you go over if you don't have a specific reason to watch them. But, if it bothers you, go back and see where most of your sugar is coming from. See if you can substitute one thing for another to cut back (i.e. Truvia for sugar in your coffee).
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I watch carbs more than I watch calories. Calories are a nice thing to know and monitor just so I can be aware of how much I'm eating but my ratios are far more important to me.
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am cutting, so I make sure to keep my sugars under 15 g. per day, usually I get them under 10.
  • Alyssa__Lauren
    Alyssa__Lauren Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't. Most of my sugars come from fruit and dairy and seeing that number go in the red so much freaked me out so I stopped tracking it.
  • charliesangel13
    charliesangel13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I watch sugar closely. Occasionally I'll have a treat, but most often avoid it completely except in fruit. Also, all the research I've done shows sugar feeds cancer and is the main culprit that promotes food cravings. I have to agree. Nearly 4 months later, cravings are gone. Feeling like a million bucks!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have just been avoiding simple processed sugars as of late.
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I added the (sugar) tracker recently and It doesn't take much for me to go over on the sugar ugh!, Not sure for how much longer I will track it. Since I don't add sugar to anything but for my morning coffee.

I try to stay within my daily allowance for the calories though, and if I need the excercise calories then by all means I will use them.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Same as Alyssa said, most (if not all) of my sugar comes from real fruit, and I usually go over. I don't feel this is a problem, because I think the benefits of whole natural fruit outweigh any negatives that might exist from the natural sugar.

However, If your sugar is high because you're adding sugar to coffee, eating foods with HFCS (High fructose corn syrup) or other fake sugars that exist in processed foods or desserts- I definitely think you should track it and limit those amounts.