Insanity routine

Options
hello everyone,

new here and on my 1st official day after the fit test. Since i was only able to do the first 21 minutes of the plyometrics video, i am not sure if i should continue with this dvd or move onto the next days video and complete what i can. What is your advice and experience? thank you and look forward to what this program can do for my health.

Replies

• BoltzNBrew
    BoltzNBrew Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I did Fit Test on Monday and Plyo Cardio Circuit yesterday and both kicked my butt. By the end of Plyo I was pretty much dead and only able to do 1 or 2 reps for each set but I kept moving and made it through. I realized very quick that the key starting off is pace yourself but keep moving. If you try to keep up with all those fit people in the video you will burn out too fast and never make it through. Better to concentrate on form and the movements and keep moving so you are getting the cardio workout for the full time. If you watched the end of that video you would have seen some of those fit people dropping to the floor at times too.

That said continue on with the next video and stay on track. Just learn from only making it half way through the Plyo video how intense these workouts are, pace yourslef and get through the videos even if you can only do 1 rep each segment by the end of it. Its something to build on. Today is Cardio Power & Resistance. I am so sore after 2 days already I don't know if I'll be able to move by weeks end.
  • SarahSiegle
    Options
    I have completed Insanity twice and I agree exactly with what BoltzNBrew said above. Great advice!
  • jadejoann4
    Options
    thank you! i appreciate the advice and will follow suit as of tomorrow. Good luck on your journey!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I'm week 6 day 3 and never thought I would make it this far after the first week. You just have to keep going!! Boltz is right, do what you can, not what you see them doing (speed wise, not form wise.) Stick with it, I promise it's worth it!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I would just go to the next video.. I could barely do all of the 2nd day but am doing day 3 today.. I will be able to tell on Saturday when I redo plyometrics if there is any improvement.
  • jadejoann4
    Options
    I cant wait to see improvement! i was on the elliptical all the time and doing the harder levels but it did NOT prepare me for this. Congratualtions to all of you who are making such remarkable progress! Ill update my progress soon...i hope
  • Danny0950
    Danny0950 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Isn't the first 21 minutes pretty much the warm up, the stretch and then the first set directly after stretching on plyo? When I first did it I went at my own pace and took extra breaks when needed. If you need an extra 30-60 seconds rest after a set then just take it and continue if you can. You will certainly make improvements as the weeks go by.
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I feel your pain! Idid Fit Test, Day 1 and then day two today I only just made it through the warm up and a bit of the cardio. It was because I was aching so much and I consider myself pretty fit too! I'm just gonna go straight ahead with Day Three tomorrow and see what I can do though...
  • mtneerjk81
    mtneerjk81 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm at day 45 and can certainly remember back to day 1 and 2. After you hit the second week where you know the workouts and have gone through them already, you start to do better. For me, I wasn't able to completely keep up with a workout until the beginning of the third week. You just have to take some quick breathers and then force yourself to jump back into it. Then when you start the second month, it's like the first month never happened! New moves, much higher intensity, but you again start to improve your endurance. I've developed a hate/love relationship with Shaun T. (and yes, I mean hate/love, rather than love/hate). I hate him at the start of the workout and then love him after. Just do as much as you can and you'll start seeing results quickly.

Remember, Insanity will not transform your body. The effort you put forth during the Insanity workouts WILL!
  • newmrsdec10
    newmrsdec10 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Boltz had great advice. I am currently in recovery week of my 3rd round of Insanity.

3rd time through and I'm still huffing and puffing every time! And plyo still kicks my butt!!!!

It doesn't get easier, you get better. Modify what you need to, break when you need - even pause the video if you need longer than the 30 second break. I remember my first round on level 1 drills for example: I would do 4 knee push-ups and just come up on my knees instead of standing up. Just keep moving and try to do better, go longer the next time.

You may also want to look into a good protein shake to drink after each workout. I did one from GNC my first round and did not suffer from complete soreness at all. Feel free to add me if you're looking for more Insaniac friends! :D
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Carry on, do what you can in each workout, just as you feel stronger and are getting to complete more of each workout.....month 2 starts and you back to square one lol!!

Keep pushing play!!!
  • mzootie
    mzootie Posts: 133
    Options
    I am in my 2nd week and love it. I was skeptical cus I was not flexible or a cardio fan just always lifted weights. I been in shape my whole life, I thought , but this is the real deal. This workout takes it to a new level of fitness I have ever done. With MFP and Insanity I have been seeingamazing results in only a few weeks. Just do what you can then take a break but push yourself back in to try to continue. When I can't go any more I take a 5 to 10 second break and jump back in to try to complete exercise on a high note. Soon enough you will be able to go through the whole exercise and you will be glad you brought it. Shaun says dig deeper for a reason. You can and will do it and you feel great after. Good luck friend me if you like. Push push...
  • jadejoann4
    Options
    Thank you for the motivation! I love the statement that insanity doesn't get easier, we get better. Again, thanks for sharing.
  • delvin2
    delvin2 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I keep watching the Insanity informercials, but I'm afraid to buy. I know I'm not interested in following the food guide, mainly due to how successful I've been with MFP. Those fit folks in the infomercial make me believe I can have a six pack. Anyone know someone looking to sell used Insanity DVDs?
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Do the next scheduled video. You will be amazed and how quickly you build stamina! Just do your best and forget the rest! It will come in time!
  • GaryTuwe
    GaryTuwe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there know how many calories Insanity burns?
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    My trick for the first few weeks was to keep the video running even when im completely done. I would either do planks, stretches, or some other moderate exercise during the last half so I didn't feel like I "gave up".

Definitely keep doing it!

p.s. someone uploaded the videos to youtube if you wanna see what its all about before they get taken down.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there know how many calories Insanity burns?

the informercial claims 1000.. I burn an avg of 350 but I don't do the whole thing continuously.. I break more often or longer to get my HR down..I expect my burn to get higher the more days I do..
  • rjesic
    rjesic Posts: 4
    Options
    My Husband and I are finishing our first week tomorrow and I am looking more forward to the rest day than I ever have in any work out ever!! It is kicking my butt hard core! But already I am feeling like I'm able to push myself harder, and just keep going. Rest if you need, because if you're not doing the moves correctly they aren't giving you maximum benefit.

Depends on your weight/height/calorie intake/age and what your heartrate gets to, to what calories you burn. For instance, I'm roughly 150 lbs, 5'7", 1700 calories/day (to lose) at 25 years old, and i burn about 600 calories on a 40 minute insanity work out. Monitoring your heart rate is the best way to tell how many calories you will burn during it.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing about your results!
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm at day 45 and can certainly remember back to day 1 and 2. After you hit the second week where you know the workouts and have gone through them already, you start to do better. For me, I wasn't able to completely keep up with a workout until the beginning of the third week. You just have to take some quick breathers and then force yourself to jump back into it. Then when you start the second month, it's like the first month never happened! New moves, much higher intensity, but you again start to improve your endurance. I've developed a hate/love relationship with Shaun T. (and yes, I mean hate/love, rather than love/hate). I hate him at the start of the workout and then love him after. Just do as much as you can and you'll start seeing results quickly.

Remember, Insanity will not transform your body. The effort you put forth during the Insanity workouts WILL!

THIS!!! Good luck!!