Race Training Question

Options
JenMc14
JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
I am currently following a 5K race preperation training plan just to get some more running in. Prior to that, I had been running a mile 2 days a week as a warm-up. So, I'm up to 2.5 miles, although that was a bit hard. A friend of mine wanted a running buddy for a 10K in July, so I decided to just go for it. My plan is to finish this 5K training plan (I'm in week 5 of 8 weeks, I believe), then jump into a 10K training plan at the 4 or 5 week mark. I currently run 3 days a week, sometimes 4, as well as lift 3 days a week with some HIIT or walking on my lifting days.

So, background/plain out of the way, on to my questions:

1. If I prepare, a 10K should be doable by July, even if it's slow and ugly, right?
2. There is a local race on June 1 (I'm actually using a training plan put out by this race). Would it be a good idea to run the 5K there, just to get a feel for a race?
3. I run on a treadmill out of necessity. I train in the mornings while my kids are sleeping. I can get outside for my Saturday runs no problem, though, and I plan to start doing that. WIll that be enough outside time, or should I rearrange my workout schedule to try to run more in the evenings? (I am a morning workout person because I make excuses otherwise.)
4. If I do run outside, I'd like to take my dog with me because he'd love it. Will this hinder my actual progress or training?
5. I am currently doing Madcow's 5x5 program for lifting. This requires squatting three times a week, deadlifting once (everything else is upper body). That's ok to do and train for a 10K, right?

THANK YOU!

Replies

• JenMc14
    Options
    Bump.
  • JenMc14
    Options
    I hate to keep bumping my own thread, and this will be the last time, but anyone have any advice?
  • hazymary
    hazymary Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    IMHO.. Get thee outside!! Leave the Dog behind for now. Yes you can do this 10K and yes sign up for the other 5K, practice is good.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    1. If I prepare, a 10K should be doable by July, even if it's slow and ugly, right?
    Absolutely enough time.
    2. There is a local race on June 1 (I'm actually using a training plan put out by this race). Would it be a good idea to run the 5K there, just to get a feel for a race?
    Definitely. Running a race is very different from training runs – I run faster in races and I think most people experience that. The other runners' paces push you.
    3. I run on a treadmill out of necessity. I train in the mornings while my kids are sleeping. I can get outside for my Saturday runs no problem, though, and I plan to start doing that. WIll that be enough outside time, or should I rearrange my workout schedule to try to run more in the evenings? (I am a morning workout person because I make excuses otherwise.)
    Run outside whenever possible. The treadmill can't emulate changes in terrain. Plus, the treadmill dictates your pace. Running outside lets you find the pace you are most comfortable with.
    4. If I do run outside, I'd like to take my dog with me because he'd love it. Will this hinder my actual progress or training?
    Dog might hinder your progress – but if you are more about improving endurance over speed you may be fine with the dog.
    5. I am currently doing Madcow's 5x5 program for lifting. This requires squatting three times a week, deadlifting once (everything else is upper body). That's ok to do and train for a 10K, right?
    I would think so! Anything you can do to strengthen your legs and core is going to help you a lot in running.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I am currently following a 5K race preperation training plan just to get some more running in. Prior to that, I had been running a mile 2 days a week as a warm-up. So, I'm up to 2.5 miles, although that was a bit hard. A friend of mine wanted a running buddy for a 10K in July, so I decided to just go for it. My plan is to finish this 5K training plan (I'm in week 5 of 8 weeks, I believe), then jump into a 10K training plan at the 4 or 5 week mark. I currently run 3 days a week, sometimes 4, as well as lift 3 days a week with some HIIT or walking on my lifting days.

THANK YOU!

i would get outside when you can and at least in the beginning leave the dog (until you're comfortable running more than 2.5 miles) as for signing up for a 10k in july sure why not. you have time to train. if you can sign up for a 5k before the 10k. it's not a big deal however it will certainly help you get a better understanding of what it's like to participate. i think you get more serious runners in a 10k than a 5k but this is not said to discourage you from signing up just IMO that's all. races are SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!

continue with your strength training - it will not hurt your race training.
  • Zaria_Athena
    Zaria_Athena Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts:

If you are currently struggling with your distance then definitely hold off signing up for the 10k. Yes, you could probably finish the distance but 1. you don't want it to be a miserable experience 2. You don't want to get injured.
    Doing too much too soon will increase the chance of getting injured. If you like running then think long term. Build up slowly.

I'd do the 5k race in June. Get outside for at least 1 run/week. Running on the treadmill is great but running outside is totally different.
    There's lots of things to figure out and it's better not to figure it out on race day. Race day should be easy.

Running outside means: dressing for the conditions, running into the wind, dealing with weather, watching the road, dealing with elevations, dealing with other people on the roads, and using your own momentum (as opposed to the treadmill)

I'd leave the dog at home until you transition to road running. It might throw off good running technique.

Just listen to your body for cross training.

Good luck.
  • junkie_99
    junkie_99 Posts: 26
    Options

THANK YOU!

1. yes. You have plenty of time to slowly add to your distance to make a 10k.
    2. yes. some training plans actually suggest 5k races during your buildup to 10k.
    3. I'm not a fan of treadmills, but other than that, have no opinion.
    4. I've tried running with a dog, and it was an epic failure. Your experience may vary!
    5. you should be able to continue your weight training and running without a problem. With longer runs I like to run in the morning and do weight training in the afternoon.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You also might want to try joining the Happy Feet or the Couch to 5k message boards.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You have quite some time before your 5K in June so that should definitely be do-able and if you build off your 5K base I don't see why a 10K should be an issue.

Running outside one day a week is plenty of outside-run time. When I trained for my first half marathon all my runs with the exception of my long ones were done on the TM. The long runs were done outside and that was on Sundays.

Leave the dog at home. You might not be able to concentrate on your running if you take the dog with you.

You should be able to strength train while training for the race. I kept up my strength training when I trained for my half marathon. Besides the leg work will help you avoid injuries.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I think the 5K is a good idea. Races are different. Most people, for example, get really excited when the starting gun goes off, and they run too fast. As a result, they poop out by the end. You can see what that is like.
    Regarding weight lifting, my experience may be different because i am 50 years plus. But, I find that heavy squatting takes all the energy out of my legs that day, and the next. It affects my running. I am much slower.
    That said, if you like the lifting, fine.
  • happyandhealthy65
    Options
    1. A 10K in July is definitely doable. Crossing the finish line will give you such a high. However, make sure you actually enjoy running before you sign up. Too many people run even though they don't enjoy it and have a horrible training experience.

2. A 5K race is excellent preparation for a 10K. It gives you a good feel for races.

3. Run outside when possible. Outdoor running uses different muscles and there is more resistance. It can be hard to fit in outdoor runs but try for just two runs per week outdoors.

4. Depends how well trained your dog is! If he zig-zags a lot or bolts after cats you could risk injury. I take my dog for some, but not all, of my runs. He loves it!

5. Squats are great for runners!

GOOD LUCK!
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon puts out many distance training programs for novice, intermediate and advanced. The marathon, half, 15k and 10 mile are 10 week training programs. I looked at the 10k and it's an 8 week training program.

I have no clue what the general consensus of the people on this site is on the Hal Higdon programs, but I'm in Week 7 of the 10 mile training program and am duly impressed. At first I didn't like the scale back weeks and the total rest day, but now I recognize exactly how important and imperative they are, so I can give him two thumbs up for my personal training.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend not winging it and doing some sort of specific training plan. And you do have plenty of time.

I'd also focus on runner-specific exercises, low weight/high reps, and stretching. Strength training is imperative for a runner, at least if you want to do longer distances, and important to prevent injuries. I will confess that I've taken on a personal trainer twice a week to prepare me for the run, but he concentrates only on strength/endurance and I incorporate it into the Hal Higdon training plan. I use it as my strength and cross training days.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Yes. Although with good training it doesn't have to be all that slow by July.
    Racing a 5K at that time is an excellent idea to gauge you fitness at that time. It will also give you a pretty good idea of what your best 10K race pace will be.
    It doesn't matter. Treadmill running is fine.
    Only if the dog stops all the time. Otherwise it will be good.
    As long as the lifting and running in combination don't put you in an overtrained state it will work. You will know if you get to that point if for several runs in a row your legs are dead and your ability starts getting worse.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think all the previous posts have answered your questions, but I will repeat some of what has been said.

Yes, going from a 5K to a 10K by July is very doable.

As for the running on the treadmill, you did say you can run outside on Saturday's, correct? If so, just make sure that is your "long run" day and you should be fine. I've spent the winter months training for half marathons (did one in January and doing another in two weeks) and I've spent many, many hours on the treadmil. Howevery, I try my best to get outside for my long runs on the weekends. Running outside is always best when training for a road race, but sometimes its just not doable because of time, weather, etc.

Can't wait to hear how you do at the 5K -- and the 10K! :flowerforyou:
  • happyandhealthy65
    Options
    I am no expert, but I think the 5K is a good idea. Races are different. Most people, for example, get really excited when the starting gun goes off, and they run too fast. As a result, they poop out by the end. You can see what that is like.
    Regarding weight lifting, my experience may be different because i am 50 years plus. But, I find that heavy squatting takes all the energy out of my legs that day, and the next. It affects my running. I am much slower.
    That said, if you like the lifting, fine.

I agree with the weight lifting. For running try lower weights, more reps. You don't want to have your legs feeling heaving. My PT recommended jumping squats.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yep, with the right preparation anything is possible. You have a good plan, just stick with it.

Sure, why not. If it fits your time/training schedule the more the better.

I've always been a fan of outside running, and I would certainly suggest doing more of it as you continue .. treadmill is just not the same.

Probably won't know until you try. If he can keep up and it's not a safety concern then it's great for you both.

Certainly, just don't overdo it. Listen to your body and give it a break when it needs it. Strength training is very important imo.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, so let's go with the basics.
    -1 Get good running shoes fitted a running store.
    -2 Make sure that you run at least 3 days a week (5 w-u, 30 run, 5 c-d). Sounds like you are there now.
    -3 Cross-training on a bike, or swimming is good to do once a week.
    -4 Be sure to warm up and stretch before and cool down and stretch after your runs.
    -5 I suggest picking up B210K (Bridge to 10K) and backing in to that schedule to coincide with the week before the race.
    -6 Lots of water.
    -7 Make sure you have at least one rest day a week!
    -8 Have fun!

And I like Hal Higdon plans!
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You definitely have enough time but just make sure to slowly increase and follow training plans to prevent injury. Set the goal of finishing for your first.. not a certain time to finish in. Running on the treadmill is fine during the week with one outside run-if you can get out for a short Sunday one too that would be great. I am training for a half right now and my weekday runs (all 2 of them) are done on the treadmill but i get out on the weekends. I would leave the dog at home until you get more comfortable with running.

I also agree with the others on the weightlifting.. pay attention to your body. I try to do some strength training but don't use too many heavy weights.

Good luck!
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    1. That's definitely enough time to prepare for a 10 k. I see others have suggested Hal Higdon and I agree. Jeff Galloway is another one with great running advice.
    2. Running that 5k is a great idea.
    3. Get outside as much as possible. You have no idea what race day conditions will be so you need to run in all kinds of weather and different elevations. I think that if at least half of your runs are outside you will be fine.
    4. Totally depends on your dog. If he knows you are the boss and will gently run next to you, bring him. If you don't have good control over him, if he wants to stop and pee on everything and sniff everything, leave him home. I run with my dogs and feel much safer with them. I've run in to a few scary people running the trails and feel that having them with me deters anyone from messing with me.
    5. I think lifting throughout training is fine but you may not want to continually up your squat weight and get to failure the month or two before your race. I've run marathons and half marathons and my legs are the first thing to give out on me - not my cardio. I continued to lift throughout training but I did drop the weight down some.