How did YOU get through your plateau?

Options
2»

Replies

• wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    maybe your body is trying to tell you to man up... you are a man you are not suppose to weight 150lbs...

Very helpful.....thanks for that!
  • Vaisaxena
    Vaisaxena Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Can someone work out my TDEE based on this..........

5"10 29 male
    A 16hr day for me consists of...
    7 hours a day constantly on my feet, decorating,climbing ladders/scaffold,rolling ceilings/walls etc
    2 hrs playing with kids/doing chores
    1hr stretching or exercising weights/cardio
    1hr doing things around the house
    0.5-1hr driving
    2 -2.5hrs watching tv then bed

Also 3 hours fishing one night a week
    And 90 mins of competitive football on Saturdays

I worked it out at either 2850 or 3160 on this site http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee#tdee
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    maybe your body is trying to tell you to man up... you are a man you are not suppose to weight 150lbs...

dude focus on getting leaner not getting to a number on a scale that no adult male your height should be at.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So do I eat at TDEE (maintenance) or above for 3-4 weeks? My TDEE is around 3000 that's a lot to eat lol

TDEE for a couple weeks for sure. Assuming your calculated TDEE is correct.

How can we get a true TDEE calculation? Every one I use comes out different?

You can't, they're all estimates. Take a couple and average them out if you want.
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options

A man can be lean and mean at 150 pounds. My husband is a solid 150 and is a very strong and powerful medal-winning (in national events) cyclist/runner.

150 used to be average passenger weight for US boats/airplanes but now they had to bump it up because the average person isn't that lean anymore...
    I hope you can get through your plateau!
  • amann1976
    Options
    So do I eat at TDEE (maintenance) or above for 3-4 weeks? My TDEE is around 3000 that's a lot to eat lol

TDEE for a couple weeks for sure. Assuming your calculated TDEE is correct.

How can we get a true TDEE calculation? Every one I use comes out different?

You can't, they're all estimates. Take a couple and average them out if you want.

you can... you have to go to one of those nutrition institutes at your local college or health center and have one of those scans done.
  • wattsy84
    Options

dude focus on getting leaner not getting to a number on a scale that no adult male your height should be at.

I don't believe you can get as lean as I want to be at 160lbs else I would happily stay at 160lbs
  • amann1976
    Options

I don't believe you can get as lean as I want to be at 160lbs else I would happily stay at 160lbs

bro there are people out there who weight double your weight and have body fat in the low single digits. as i said before dont let that number on the scale drive your nuts it is not the be all end all to life.
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Everyone had different ideas about what weight/soze med and women should be, we all know BMI is not perfect but 5ft10 and 150lbs is a BMI of 23. well within 'health' range.
  • melaniecmajors
    melaniecmajors Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Cut dairy completely and high GI fruits until your weight comes down. Switch to complex carbs. Should see a difference in about 2 weeks.
  • amann1976
    Options
    Everyone had different ideas about what weight/soze med and women should be, we all know BMI is not perfect but 5ft10 and 150lbs is a BMI of 23. well within 'health' range.

the whole BMI thing should be thrown off the face of the earth... I have a high BMI but i guarantee i am in better physical conditioning than people half my size.

take the average nfl running back according to their BMI they would be considered obese

if you ever worked out with a good trainer they never weigh you to indicate progress everything is done using measurements
  • wattsy84
    Options

the whole BMI thing should be thrown off the face of the earth... I have a high BMI but i guarantee i am in better physical conditioning than people half my size.

take the average nfl running back according to their BMI they would be considered obese

if you ever worked out with a good trainer they never weigh you to indicate progress everything is done using measurements

Yeh good point, I would happily stay at this weight but be lean, but to do that surely I would need to bulk and cut?
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Ok so if my TDEE is 3000 and I'm eating roughly 2500-2750 a day heavy lifting 3x week light cardio 2x week heavy cardio 1x week! And being doing this for 3weeks with no change until NOW, I have weighed myself and I'm up to 166lbs now from being stuck at 162-164. This is the first time the scale has moved, I can't be gaining muscle if I'm eating in a deficit? Is it time to cut back down to 2200?
  • claytonmac
    Options
    Yes - do a hard reset of your metabolism... general guidelines for this would be eating 200-300kCal surplus for 2 weeks... then carry on with a -20% deficit.

How do you do a hard reset of your metabolism??
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and I was recently stuck at a 168lb plateau for a little over 3 months. It also coincided with the deep winter months here in the northeast so I wasn't too concerned as long as I was maintaining and not packing on hibernation weight. My body fat is 19.5% so I know I can move down further. I finally pushed through with a combination of intermittent fasting (1 day a week) and muscle confusion. I changed up my work outs, including what time of day I work out at and added in lap swimming to replace cybex arc training for a while.
  • wattsy84
    Options
    Now I'm wondering if I really need to lose weight or just get lean? How do I do that? Eat at TDEE and lift?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on a plateau for 3 months. My first 3 months of MFP I lost 12 kilos. Then it stopped and it took me almost 4 months to lose another 3 kilos. When I was losing well at the beginning I was eating around 1350 net. First tried restricting further, adding weight training and increasing cardio to 6 hours a week but nothing seemed to help. Finally I took a 3 week total diet break.

Ate at just under TDEE for 3 weeks. Set MFP to 0.5 lb loss per week, and ate back half (sometimes all) of my considerable exercise calories. I tried to only eat half because I don't trust the burn rates on the cardio machines at the gym (I don't wear an HRM). This past week I have restricted back to 1300 net, and have dropped a kilo. Next time I plateau, I will not be so reluctant to do a diet break again. I think my body's response to restricting severely for a long period was to slow down my metabolism. The 3 week diet break seems to have re-set my metabolism.

I was happy not to gain during the diet break, though my weight fluctuated up a kilo at first, but settled back down to my lowest pre-break weight. According to MFP calculations I should have lost at least half a kilo during the break but that didn't happen. It might not be necessary to do a full 3 weeks. If I google Total Diet Break, people recommend one or two weeks.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Try changing up your routine and working out harder. Your body gets use to the regular routine and becomes easier to do each day, maybe need a change to get you over that hump.