mmmmm meatloaf
  • Menene
    Menene Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Love it !!!! I am making them sometime this week. Thanks for the recipe
  • phyl303
    phyl303 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    These can be easily customized for picky eaters, different family member's calorie range, etc.

Example:

basic as original (with or without veggie adds)

Make a little "bowl" in the top of the muffin
    add a teaspoon or so of spagetti sauce
    in the last few minutes of baking, grate some mozerella or parmesan cheese and brown

OR

Make a little "bowl" in the top of the muffin
    add a teaspoon or so of Salsa
    grate pepperjack or colby

OR

get creative!

You can mix and match depending on your household's tastes. They reheat well, too, so you can make up a bunch for those nights when no one has time to prep a good meal.
  • donnettaboone
    Options
    I make these as well mine are 219 Calories for 2. I also make Egg muffins, kinda like making an omelet, but in the muffin pan.
  • kwatkin
    kwatkin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump sounds great!
  • SassyClassyandALittleBadAssy
    Options
    Bump!! Yummy!
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    These sound awesome...thanks for sharing. Sounds like something my son would eat too. I'm always cooking for 2 households.

I would be very surprised if a kid wouldn't like them... I was trying to think of how I would sneak in more veggies though.

I just saw a recipe on cooking channel where they added shredded carrots and celery to ground chiken burger meat mixture, so I'm sure it would work for meatloaf as well.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Tried it, these are awesome. Portioned out, good for leftovers. I add tons of sauteed onion, garlic, and mushroom. The saute step adds more flavor.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Tried it, these are awesome. Portioned out, good for leftovers. I add tons of sauteed onion, garlic, and mushroom. The saute step adds more flavor.

Oh I like this idea.

I like anything that's portioned already and I don't have to think too much.
  • LisaH1967
    LisaH1967 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Will have to try these, thank you for sharing.
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Thank you, sounds YUMMY!
  • Gracie430
    Gracie430 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump. I love meatloaf and all of these suggestions are wonderful.
  • DaniInMaine
    Options
    Awesome idea -- particularly good for those 'on the go' times......I'd have to substitute ground turkey but I bet they'd be equally as good. Thanks for taking the time to share with us!!
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU
    BUMP
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    I will have to google hickory sauce, dare say we don't have that in the land of Oz
  • mab5338
    mab5338 Posts: 14
    Options
    Bump! I just made some of my own meatloaf muffins! I love anything in a muffin shape, it helps SO much with portion control. My version this month came out to 87-90 calories each. I wanted to share my meatloaf tips,

I mix lean ground beef and lean turkey, 1lb of beef and 1.25lb of turkey makes me about 21 muffins

I found you don't need to use eggs! I use tomato paste (no salt!)- half of the mini can will do per pound of meat and add my own spices

If you want to add a couple more calories, cut up a cheesestick (cheddar, motz, cojack) an press it into the middle of the muffins when you bake, makes for an ooey-gooey surprise for the kiddos!

I love the idea of salsa- what type do you all suggest? Any low-sodium store brands?
  • Kerrilyn611
    Options
    Sounds awesome... has anyone made this in a regulare loaf pan? I do not have a lot of cupcake tins...