Vegetarians/Vegans: Your best source of low-fat protein?

Options
I'm finding it pretty difficult to get my daily intake up to where I want it with the fat going through the roof...... I do soy drinks, tofu, beans/rice, etc...some almonds.

Love to hear from those of you who actually use the foods you recommend......

Lowell

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    tofu
    seitan
    soy 'meat' products
    Edamame
    whole grain bread

And as I eat dairy:
    cottage cheese
    Greek yoghurt
    eggs / egg whites
    low fat hard cheese
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese. Not sure on the fat but it's only 110 calories with 12g of protein.
    If you like eggs you could eat them not sure on how much protein is in those though I don't like eggs.
    I just bought some garbanzo bean flour and made a veggie pancake type thing with it and it's 220 calories with 12g of protein.
    Black beans are always good. I also drink a chocolate protein shake made by Genisoy, it's soy protein.
  • tx_angel77
    tx_angel77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am not technically vegetarian by choice but for personal health reasons. I can't eat much meat without getting sick so I eat a lot more fish than I used to but I can only eat so much. I love eggs, but they are high in fat. Peanut butter is usually hard to find in my area without tons of sugar. I don't do tofu or soy products except in moderation.

My question I guess would be about beans. They can be high in carbs right? I hear so many different takes on high carb low carb, high fat low fat. Any thoughts???? I'm coming in way low on the proteins and too high on carbs. Help!!! :)

Thanks
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    - Seitan

- Plant-based protein powder mixed into oats.
  • wurstera
    wurstera Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Seitan is pretty tasty when mixed with some spicy sauce as hot wings!

I was a vegetarian for a while and a vegan for 6 months (just to see if I could do it). I bought some hemp protein powder which was decent mixed with bananas and peanut butter in the blender.....
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Protein powders.

Or just eat meat.
  • tx_angel77
    tx_angel77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against meat....it just doesn't like me! lol

Where do I find Seitan? Is this a health food store item or readily available at local super stores?

Thanks
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I use egg whites. Lots of them
    Tons of Quorn
    Any meat sub made of soya I can find
    Quinoa
    Nuts
    Nut butter
    Milk
    Protein powder

I make pancakes.
    5egg white, 2 whole egg
    1/2 tub quark (125g)
    50g ground oats.

Divided by three, macros are below
    Fat 5g
    Carbs 13.7
    Protein 16.6

I hit 130-150g protein a day, 50-60g fat eating 1500-1800 cals, on a veggie diet.

You have to be creative (or very boring)
  • Its_All_Gongfu
    Its_All_Gongfu Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Haikugurl
    Haikugurl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I often eat, peanut butter (higher in fat, but a healthy fat), almonds/walnuts, Ezekiel bread (whole grain), whole grain pasta, black and pinto beans (lots of burritos), tofu, tempeh, and sometimes the pre-packaged stuff (veggie burgers, veggie meatballs, veggie sausage). I usually have no problem meeting my protein needs.
  • Dustybugger
    Options
    Non-fat plain greek yogurt, but it's gotta be Fage brand because the other ones taste like sour cream. 18g of protein for 100 calories, 0 fat, and like 7-8 carbs. I eat it plain now, took some getting used to but because it's not like YUM, I eat it slow. I was eating it with a 1/2 cup of a frozen blackberry/blueberry/raspberry mix (thawed of course) and that adds a nice amount of fiber while staying low on the glycemic index. Super filling and doesn't send you into a carb slumber.
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    Make sure when you are eating beans as a vegetarian that you are pairing them with whole grain rice (brown included) in order to build the complex protein chains necessary for your body to use it. Look at cultures where vegetarianism is the norm and you'll see that they generally pair the two. Many stores now carry gram flour (chick pea flour) that can be used in recipes instead of wheat flour (look for modified recipes online because it's popular with gluten-free diet). We often use a mixture of gram and rice flours.

Be prepared for flatulence! Many times soy protein can be more of an offender than whey protein, but it came as a shock to my daughter when she cut meat from her diet that she could easily (an inadvertently) "crop-dust" a classroom that would linger for hours.
    It was especially embarrassing for her at the gym when she would bend over during workouts and surprise herself.
    It's not just the broccoli that does it! We have found the Beano mint meltaways to be very helpful in this regard.

She is intolerant of tofu (allergies) and utilizes eggs to get much of her protein --- while they may be higher in fat than some other options, they are high in nutritional value also (be skeptical of the eggs=bad cholesterol argument). I have learned to throw a couple of eggs into a non-stick muffin tin and bake them at 350 for 15-20 minutes --- no oil, no extra fat but very tasty with a nice crisp. She then stacks on veggies and seasoning and makes a nice entrée. Eggs pair well with spinach and tomatoes.

I recommend that all new vegetarians purchase a protein "shot" to keep handy on those evenings when you realize that you haven't had enough protein and your body is rebelling --- my daughter got terrible muscle craps after a few days of not paying attention to her protein intake and the little 2oz liquid drink before bed had her in tip top shape in the morning. I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis, but as a backup when you've had a busy week and feel like crap physically. You really have to learn to listen to your own body and what it is trying to tell you (all mine every says is, "give me another cookie now").

I envy and applaud all who have the dedication and commitment to following through on a vegetarian (or mostly vegetarian) diet -- regardless of their motivation to do so. I wish I liked vegetables even a little bit --- there's no doubt I would get a good start on my weight-loss and health goals if I could stand veggies even just a little.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,795 Member
    Options
    my main sources are
    fake meats, sausage and chick'n patties
    greek yogurt
    pb2
    chickpeas
    but i have a hard time getting over 75g
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, soy milk, whole grains, eggs, beans, seitan (I use the post-punk kitchen recipe to make mine), and tofu are all great sources. I've recently started using a protein shake mixed with almond milk. It's surprisingly tasty and helps me meet my protein goals, which I've recently upped because I enjoy lifting heavy weights.

Also, don't worry about "pairing" the right foods in every meal. That's an outdated, incorrect theory.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I recently had this problem and added a protein shake daily after my workouts as a snack. It's low fat/low carb soy isolate. You can get other protein shakes, not sure if you're vegan/veg but you can try different kinds. I just prefer soy because of allergies and it's a complete protein.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Also, don't worry about "pairing" the right foods in every meal. That's an outdated, incorrect theory.

This. As long as you have lots of different foods all day you're fine. Soy is a complete protein though, but other proteins as long as eaten through out the day complete themselves.
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned lentils? Beans. asparagus, brocolli
  • CoronerKris
    CoronerKris Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, greek yogurt(dannon light n fit), edamame, protein powder(jay robb)
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Lentils, pea soup (a bowl has 18 grams), black eyed peas, black beans, pinto beans, any kind of bean. Brussel sprouts, kale, potatoes, zucchini, and mushrooms have a decent amount too. Nuts, peanut butter, pepitas, almond butter. Nutritional yeast has a couple grams in a very small amount and is easy to sprinkle on foods (and has b12.) Every day after my workout I make a "caca-pot" (ha) smoothie that is 4 tablespoons nutiva hemp, 2.5 tablespoons raw cacao, 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, 10 almonds, and 1 tablespoon of PB and it has 33 grams of protein. I am a soy-free vegan and I wouldn't touch "fake meat" to save my life but I still average a decent amount of protein every day. According to CDC it says women my age need about 46 grams a day (I get around 70 ish usually.) I read to times your weight by .36 which for me would be 46.8.

A super yummy kale salad that has 20 grams of protein (not low fat though because it has nuts but I don't care about low fat, healthy fat is good for you) http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/01/spicy-peanut-ginger-kale-salad.html
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and protein powder