Question for fellow runner

Options
On days i'm not able to get outside to run I'm on my treadmill.On days I'm able to run outside I strech and do a warm up walk first but i'm in so much pain by the time I'm done.The rest of the night i feel as i can barely move and the same for the next day,but i'm not like this when i'm on the treadmill. Is there anything you all do for muscle aches ? I've tried warm bathes, tynenol and resting.

Thank You for your help !

Replies

• htimsm87
    htimsm87 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    What type of surface are you running on outside? Is it asphalt or concrete or something else.

If possible to changing the surface up. If you are running on the asphalt road try moving over a bit and running in the gravel / grass on the side of the road. If you are running on concrete to to find an asphalt surface to run on.

Another option might be to go to a running store and have them look into your shoes. A treadmill generally has much more give to it then an outdoor run.

One other option is to ease into your outdoor runs. Try running the first part on the treadmill and then move outdoors, add more and more time to the outdoor run over time.
  • ProudMotherof4ProudWife2007
    Options
    I'm normally on concrete and sometimes on asphalt.Right now I do a 5 min walk, run for 5 mins then follow that pattern till I'm able to run longer.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Definitely have your shoes checked by a running shoes store. Try taking smaller steps when running, you may be over-striding.
  • emhill21
    emhill21 Posts: 130
    Options
    What incline do you set your treadmill on? I have heard that the treadmill should be set on level 2 or higher to mimic running outside.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    What type of pain? You may need better shoes since concrete/asphalt doesn't have a lot of give like a treadmill does. Get to a running store so they can get a handle on it. Also check your form, make sure you're not taking too long of a stride.

This is a good resource about stride and proper form: http://www.goodformrunning.com/

Good luck!
    Options
    Right now I have New Balance shape up's.My treadmill Control board doesn't tell me what incline i'm at , but its missing two things on the bottom so there is naturally a incline with how it's sitting
    Options
    What type of pain? You may need better shoes since concrete/asphalt doesn't have a lot of give like a treadmill does. Get to a running store so they can get a handle on it. Also check your form, make sure you're not taking too long of a stride.

This is a good resource about stride and proper form: http://www.goodformrunning.com/

Good luck!

Sharp shooting pain to where its painful to walk or do much of anything
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I don't have pains like yours, however sometimes my feet will go numb during my runs (I run outside on the roads/sidewalks). I'm hoping to save up and be able to go get fitted for running shoes, but at the moment it's not possible. I feel your pain though. I am new to running and am starting to like it more than I thought so it is a pain when I'm having issues!
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Better/Different shoes.
    Icing immediately after the run.
    Tiger Balm.

Do you find yourself running faster or pushing harder outside? You may also just need to slow down a bit.
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    On days i'm not able to get outside to run I'm on my treadmill.On days I'm able to run outside I strech and do a warm up walk first but i'm in so much pain by the time I'm done.The rest of the night i feel as i can barely move and the same for the next day,but i'm not like this when i'm on the treadmill. Is there anything you all do for muscle aches ? I've tried warm bathes, tynenol and resting.

Thank You for your help !

Where is the pain? Knees? Quads? Back? What kind of shoes are you wearing? Being in pain sucks- I am sure there's a solution! Fellow RunnerGirl in Maryland here..
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Right now I have New Balance shape up's.My treadmill Control board doesn't tell me what incline i'm at , but its missing two things on the bottom so there is naturally a incline with how it's sitting

those shoes are not meant for running!! Wearing these toning shoes is probably forcing more of a heel strike. As others have suggested, get a proper pair with great cushioning to absorb the impact and try shortening your stride.

Good luck! =)
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options

I am no shoe expert-- but those ShapeUps are probably not the best option for running, because I bet they alter your natural stride. If you're serious about running, you may want to get a good pair of shoes, preferably at a Running store where they can evaluate your stride. Good luck!
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I would think the shoes could be leading to bad form for running. Like others have suggested, head to a local running store to be fitted for shoes. If you don't have on available try a running website such as runnerworld.com and the more experienced would probably be able to help you a little more in selection of shoes.
    Options
    The pain is in my thigh and hips,I was given the shape ups till i'm able to go out and buy a new pair.I try to stay at a constant speed but when i'm getting down to the last min-30 secs i usually push my self a little harder
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Almost sounds like IT Band issues. Check out roadrunner sports . Com They have a good shoe fitting service if you aren't close to a running store. For what it's worth, the treadmill gives you extra cushioning that the road doesn't offer. I either run in a stability plus (because of my weight) or just a stability shoe with soft inserts. Depending on your arch (and a few other variables) you might need something other than a stability shoe. Bottom line, get fitted. Good luck to you!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Don't run in the Shape Ups. Those types of shoes have proven to be bad for your back during normal activity. Running in them is not a good idea.

Get fitted at a running store as soon as you can.