SAVORY OATMEAL!

Options
Elliehmltn
Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
This is a great breakfast change for me..... a new oatmeal taste, forget the milk and sugar!

1/2 cup dry rolled oats
1/2 cup water (you don't want it mushy like milk-and-sugar oatmeal)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/8-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (depending on how much you like garlic)
1/8 teaspoon salt (optional -- I prefer to salt the top of mine after cooking)
1 tablespoon olive oil

Mix oats, water, and seasonings in pan, cook and stir over medium-high heat until water is absorbed. Transfer to bowl, sprinkle with salt if desired, top with olive oil.

This is really different and really good! On a day when you're needing more calories or protein, top with a fried egg. Yum.

Replies

• ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    This is so interesting. I'll have to give it a shot.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump--worth trying
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    interesting... bump
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a healthier substitution for polenta. Worth a try, for sure!
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I made some savory oatmeal this morning and it was a GREAT start to the day:

Ingredients

One 1/4" slice fresh ginger, the size of a quarter, peeled
    1/2 cup oats
    1 cup chicken broth or water (I used chicken broth)
    1 poached egg
    a drizzle of gluten-free soy sauce
    a drizzle of sesame oil
    hot sauce, optional
    fresh minced scallions

Directions

Place ginger, oats and broth in a bowl. Microwave for 3-4 minutes (longer if you like it creamier).
    Place poached egg on top of oatmeal, and drizzle soy sauce, sesame oil and hot sauce on top. Sprinkle scallions on top.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Might be a good alternative to rice, since I hate cooking rice and I feel guilty buying the 1 minute kind.
  • wrests
    wrests Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Might be a good alternative to rice, since I hate cooking rice and I feel guilty buying the 1 minute kind.
    Get a rice cooker!
  • Elliehmltn
    Options
    Innovation #2 -- after cooking the seasoned oatmeal until it glopped together, I scooped it into a frying pan sprayed with cooking spray. Cooked on one side a few minutes till browned, then flipped it and did the same. Slid it onto a plate and topped with the olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside. Super! So good I made another one, since I'm going to be biking and running today.
  • Elliehmltn
    Options
    I made some savory oatmeal this morning and it was a GREAT start to the day:

Ingredients

One 1/4" slice fresh ginger, the size of a quarter, peeled
    1/2 cup oats
    1 cup chicken broth or water (I used chicken broth)
    1 poached egg
    a drizzle of gluten-free soy sauce
    a drizzle of sesame oil
    hot sauce, optional
    fresh minced scallions

Directions

Place ginger, oats and broth in a bowl. Microwave for 3-4 minutes (longer if you like it creamier).
    Place poached egg on top of oatmeal, and drizzle soy sauce, sesame oil and hot sauce on top. Sprinkle scallions on top.

Mmmmm, cook in chicken broth, shake on soy sauce..... I'm making this tomorrow!