Are you a runner? Help me out! :)

Options
I honestly think that my lack of endurance when it comes to running is a mental issue rather than a physical issue. Can anyone relate to this? I can go on the elliptical for 60 minutes straight, and yet I have great difficulty running for over 10-15 minutes at a 5.0mph speed. I used to blame it on my breathing. I would start to wheeze after running, and couldn't get a full, deep breath in. Now that I have a puffer, there's no excuse.

My friend asked me to run a half-marathon with her in October (I know, lots of time!). So, I was wondering how you've overcome your mental blocks for pushing yourself to run longer? If you've ever ran a half-marathon, was there a specific training plan that helped you?

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Five miles an hour is pretty fast. Try slowing down for your longer runs - aim for half an hour at six miles an hour, for example. My key for tackling longer runs (because an hour or more on your own can get really boring) is to find a running buddy or group who run at your pace and get one good, long run in each week.
  • Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options
    There is a huge difference between the eliptical and actually running outdoors. The elliptical and similar machines were built for people who have difficulties with running/swimming/etc. You'll just have to build up to it. Alternate running/jogging/walking for 60 minutes. It will always get better, just takes time.
  • KylieJordan16
    KylieJordan16 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself!!
    My boyfriend is that super fit, naturally skinny, can eat whatever he wants guy, and the first time I went running with him (January 2013) I was trying to keep up with HIM!
    Needless to say, we ran 2.5 miles in about 50 minutes and I was super annoyed.

Yesterday we ran the same 2.5 miles together in 29 minutes!
    I started on the treadmill by building up. Running at 4.1..4.3..4.5...4.8.. and so on! Now I run 3 miles at a pace of 5.1 & I literally love running. Everything fell into place for me when I decided to pace myself, no matter how slow I had to start.
  • bedwards4904
    Options
    Some of it is mental, but I have found you have to learn how to breathe when you run. The best I have found is breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth. When you are running find a comfortable pace (faster and longer will happen when you continue to run), and then figure out a breathing beat, i.e. breath in for two or three strides, and then exhale for two or three strides. I haven't ran a half marathon yet, but I plan to. I have ran a couple 5ks. There a few plans you can Google, couch to half marathon. It will tell you when to start and what to do until you get there. They seem pretty good.

Good luck, and keep with it. There are going to be days where it is not as easy. Another bit of advice that I can give you is don't over do it. I was told by a friend who is a marathon runner and triatholon, and he always says only have one long run a week with a couple short runs. So if your long distance for the week is 3 miles then do a couple 1-2 mile runs with a couple days off where you can do other exercises. If you over do it you can just injure yourself. Trust me I learned the hard way. You take a couple weeks off from running, and then you're starting all over for distance and pace.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Five miles an hour is pretty fast. Try slowing down for your longer runs - aim for half an hour at six miles an hour, for example. My key for tackling longer runs (because an hour or more on your own can get really boring) is to find a running buddy or group who run at your pace and get one good, long run in each week.

^ This.

Especially if you're short like me. I know there are people who can walk faster than my typical 4mph and I really don't care. It's a run on these short legs and I'm a runner. I'm just a slow runner who will die first when the zombies attack.
  • PVarns
    PVarns Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey one of the best ideas someone gave me was have a different subject to think about for each minute of your run. For example; the first minute the reason you love your partner, second minute groceries, third what your goals are in 5 years etc... I eventually made a subject for each mile I would run instead of every minute.

That same person also told me not to think about the exhale while breathing because it comes naturally. Focus on your inhale. That helped me feel more in control.

I have always believed the first mile is the worst and then the rest of the miles feel like cruise control.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that running is mostly mental- and if you're running on the dreadmill it gets that much more difficult. You may want to try something like Couch to 5k- it starts you off with intervals which help to keep it a bit more interesting and then builds up to a solid 30 mins of running.

Still, in the end, you're not going to be able to do it until you BELIEVE you can do it.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    "The ability of the athlete is more mental than physical." It's a fact.

You might want to check some running form videos to make sure you're not beating yourself up to bad pounding the pavement. Take it slow, it's so much easier when you run with proper form.

I'm sure you can do it, it just takes time.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Intervals are a great way to increase your endurance. You can find lots of interval training online, such as couch to 5k. Or just do it yourself. If you can only run 5 minutes before stopping, then take a walking break and then get back to it. You can increase your endurance by either lengthening your running minutes or shortening your breaks--or both. See what works for you and then push your limits a little each time you go out. Eventually, you'll be able to run longer with shorter breaks. I've also heard of an app called "Zombies, Run!" that lots of newbies swear by. I've never used it, but it sounds like fun! I like listening to loud music, but I mix it up sometimes with an audio book. Do anything you can to make your run an enjoyable time. :)

And don't forget to REST between runs! You don't want to blow out your joints. Good luck!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Well it could be mental but more likly you just need to start a bit slower then if you feel you can do a bit faster after about 30 mins go for it
  • FuzzyDicePHL
    FuzzyDicePHL Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Some great advice here - I'm facing the same challenge. Bumping so I can check back for more answers later. ;)
  • Runningnorth
    Runningnorth Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Start with a walk/run program and slow down. Once you get the hang of running you can increase your speed but for now just focus on getting a stride and work on your breathing. Try running one minute and then walking 4 minutes, then slowly increase running and decrease walking. If you are running outside try running between telephone poles and then walking to the next one. You will start to enjoy it once you ease into it. Good luck
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I really think most of the true answers have been placed in here, just to recap though:

- Do intervals, slowly increasing them, allow yourself to learn to have a longer endurance
    - Slow down, let yourself build in to better speeds
    - Find a running buddy to take your mind off things
    - Don't compare an elliptical to running (whether on a treadmill or outside) they aren't really as close as you'd think
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options

6 MPH is LOTS faster than 5 MPH. Trying going to 4.8 MPH for longer runs. Or just run outside. I don't know about you but treadmills tend to test my ego and I want to go faster. I can't do my long runs on the treadmill for this very reason. I prefer outdoor runs anyways. Outside, you just need to make sure you are running at a pace that is comfortable to you. Speed will always come later...that you can do speed workouts on the treadmill in intervals.
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was exactly the same way - I could go forever on the elliptical but 5 min on the mill was murder. Take it slow, build up to the run. It took me a month, running every other day, to build up to do a 5k. And I highly recommend using any of the available couch to 5k type programs, they really help!!

Edit: You mentioned a marathon, or a half... so... couch to half marathon... you get the idea.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that my lack of endurance when it comes to running is a mental issue rather than a physical issue. Can anyone relate to this? I can go on the elliptical for 60 minutes straight, and yet I have great difficulty running for over 10-15 minutes at a 5.0mph speed. I used to blame it on my breathing. I would start to wheeze after running, and couldn't get a full, deep breath in. Now that I have a puffer, there's no excuse.

My friend asked me to run a half-marathon with her in October (I know, lots of time!). So, I was wondering how you've overcome your mental blocks for pushing yourself to run longer? If you've ever ran a half-marathon, was there a specific training plan that helped you?

Thanks a lot!

Running is always about shattering your mental blocks ~ what we know as "the wall."; It'll push, hold and work against you; It'll challenge you in ways yachtsmen, climbers and deep sea cave divers can relate to, only that when choosing to run outdoors you control where and how you apply your pace to accommodate the duration along an active surface changing, climate dependent route ~ you must consider what will immediately affect and increase the gradient of difficulty at any one time ~ Know that it's not in a controlled environment, but allows for more flexibility.

You need to psyche yourself ... Visualise your entire route ... Consider the degrees of difficulty along your route ~ Immediately think of how you are going to run it better whilst efficiently working your energy and your breathing, whilst maintaining your hydration ... IF and when you neglect an element, it'll suffocate you ruinous to all your efforts and exhausted energy. There is no room for slap dash but responsible (thought approaches) ~ Running will always demand all of you and it will get the absolute of all you've got left each time ~ to expire you.
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely mental more than physical. Here's what's helped me:
    1) Run slower.
    2) I used Hal Higdon's training plans to get to my first half marathon a couple of weeks ago, and I could barely run a mile a year ago.
    3) When I'm on the treadmill (aka dreadmill), I listen to music and figure out roughly how many songs I will need to listen to (at ~4 min/song) in the time I want to run. Somehow this helps the time go faster. (For safety reasons, I don't listen to music when I run on the street, but also because I don't get as bored when I run outside.)
    4) My trainer always used to ask me when I complained about anything, "what's wrong -- are you hurt, or just tired?" Usually the answer was "just tired" and then he'd tell me to basically get off my lazy butt and do it (in the nicest way possible :) So when I'm running and I feel like I want to stop or to walk, I think -- am I injured? Or just tired from exerting myself? This helps me realize that I *can* do it, it's just my mind (not my body) that is telling me no, so I should keep on.

Keep at it and you'll get there!
  • Hwalsh0304
    Options
    I firmly believe that running is mostly mental- and if you're running on the dreadmill it gets that much more difficult. You may want to try something like Couch to 5k- it starts you off with intervals which help to keep it a bit more interesting and then builds up to a solid 30 mins of running.

Still, in the end, you're not going to be able to do it until you BELIEVE you can do it.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post! I used to HATE running, and in 2011, I made it my resolution to run my first 5k. It wasn't pretty, but I did it. I am now signing up for at least one race a month (5k, 5 mile, 10k..) and even ran my first half marathon last month. Running outside really does make a difference.
  • Roxie8611
    Roxie8611 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm new to running myself and went from not being able to run for 2 minutes in January to building up to 25 minutes tonight (mini victory) and I weight 226 pounds.

You have to just tell yourself one more minute, one more minute as thats whats worked for me over the past 3 months to be honest.

Also get lost in the music.....lastly pick a treadmill (if your a gym member) which faces outside as you dont notice the time so much.

I still haven't mastered the whole breathing part of it but its a work in progress.

Hope it gets better for you :)
  • florulent
    florulent Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies! I'll definitely slow my pace to probably 4.5mph, given that I do have short legs haha. I'll also look into doing some intervals, and focus more on breathing. I'm aiming to be able to run 30 minutes straight by the summertime, and then once I achieve that, I'll start training for a half-marathon which is in October.

Thanks again!