What I really don't understand about gaining weight...

Options
Myself personally, I'm on here as my clothes don't fit well and I can't go on not fitting into my jeans. What I don't understand is those who say they've gained weight over the years, or they put on 20lbs last year. For those who did, did you one day just go and get all new clothes? I certainly can't do that, and my clothes are a better indicator than the scale. Just curious...

Replies

• Keyblr
    Keyblr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For me it was a gradual weight gain over the years. I never owed a scale until I purchased one for my high school aged wrestling son who needed to know if he would make weight or not (he would drop from 155 in football season to 135 for wrestling season).

As I purchased new clothes I went up a size over the years. In reality what happened is i had gone up two sizes but because of vanity sizing in the clothing industry I really never noticed it too much. I'm a clothes horse and purchase a LOT of closthes. I gained it slow enough that by the time the style was out I didn't fit in the clothes anyway.

What did it finally for me was looking at myself in pictures. Ugh! And the fact that I felt tired all the time.

Now I have the opposite problem. I have lost almost 27 pounds since the middle of summer. None of my spring and summer clothes fit. (I have gone out and purchsed new jeans and some new winter items) Luckily I wear a lot of dresses for work and if I cinch them with a belt they don't look too bad.
  • Lyby
    Lyby Posts: 42
    Options
    Although I gained some weight here and there over the years, most of my increases in clothing sizes over time were just a gradual adjustment (followed by the denial that "I'm only a size 16 in this brand......it's cut small, etc).

Just over two years ago, I had a major abdominal surgery that drastically changed my body -- for the worse. I have no belly muscle at all and so the pleasant layer of fat that was there has now extended to the point where just last weekend my former sister-in-law said to me, "You haven't lost your tummy, you look 9 months pregnant." Wow, that felt fantastic since my youngest child is 18 years old. [I must refrain from comments about her broad backside in this post but y'all know I really wanted to say something mean].

In the midst of recuperating, I tossed my work clothes for a bigger size because "it needs to be looser over the incision site". I bought a pair of slacks here or there, a pair of jeans when I really needed it (or found them on sale). I am furious at the fashion industry for the proliferation of hip-huggers that simply won't stay up on a woman shaped like me now matter what size I get (my hubby, who is rounder around the middle since he quit smoking, gets to wear suspenders) -- there is no way to look dignified while pulling up my jeans every time I stand up or walk across the room.

A promotion gave me a chance to get out of slacks and into "mom" jeans --- and a reason to buy the bigger size with the control panels. I also picked up my first "foundation undergarments"......my justification was that the lack of belly muscle meant it needed some support (may have been true for a few months but we are way past that now). The jeans hit high enough to prevent a muffin top and on days like today (the last couple of weeks actually), I just don't tuck in my shirt.

I promised myself I would lose 20 pounds for my son's wedding so that I could wear the beautiful dress I had purchased for the occasion --- I had a year to do it. Not only did I not lose the weight, I gained another 10 and had to settle for another dress and still felt like I was in a sausage casing. I hate that I am big, and I hate that too many of my clothes make me look bigger because they are ill fitting. Too many of the women's clothing lines are too revealing for my tastes and my favorite local department store just eliminated their women's section (I have to hunt out the XXLs amongst the 0s and XXSs). I'm going to have to haul out my sewing machine and tailor some things so I feel comfortable and maybe a little less self-conscious as I continue on this journey.
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this too, although I can sort of see how it happens. I gained 20 pounds in a couple of years and I just stopped wearing my tailored clothes and wore a lot more stretchy jumper dresses and looser fitting stuff so I didn't have to buy anything new.

I decided to lose weight when I got to the point when even my biggest clothes were getting too tight and it was a choice between buying new ones or shrinking to fit into my old ones.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The extreme weight I gained in 2002-2007 was a sneaky little buggar. I gained 50 lbs during my first pregnancy, I really thought that all of that would just go away after the baby was born ( I had never been over weight a day in my life before this). I remember how shocked I was that I couldn't fit into ANY of my pre-pregnancy clothes!!! I had an extra 25lbs! So I went ahead and bought some other clothes while I "lost" this weight. Then the vicious vicious cycle began. I'd put on a pound here and a pound there....I hated the way I looked and felt, so I'd binge eat and binge drink. Then I'd buy some new clothes in hopes that I'd look better....the fashion industry changing of sizes doesn't help the cause either. In 2006 I topped off at 80 lbs overweight....I don't have many pictures from that period in my life, but the few I have just shock me now when I look at them! from 2006-2007 I began my journey to lose that weight. I even had baby number two in 2009 (only gaining 30 lbs as I continued to eat right and exercise throughout my pregnancy) I am now, at 33 yrs old in the best shape of my life!