Juicing Help!

Options
Hey All,

So last year I bought a juicer, I was really excited to use it and up my veggie intake. Well lets just say... after the whole 2 times I used it... it's been sitting in the very back of my kitchen cabinet.

My problem was a). That it requires a lot of fruit/veggies to make a cup of juice, b). Cleaning the thing is a pain bc the rinds get stuck in the filter! and c). I ran out of juicing ideas, and d). I kept buying fruits/veggies and they would go bad bc I was a slacker at using them all up before expiring.

Do any of you Juice? If so... any tips? I eat healthy, but just want to be one of those avid "Juicer lovers." Is there an easy recipe that you swear by?

Thanks! xoxo

Katie

Replies

• dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I use mine. I make the Mean Green Juice from Fat Sick and Nearly Dead at least 3 times a week. I buy my veggies from a local farmers market so it's pretty cheap. The biggest expense are green apples currently. You don't need to make lots of recipes just find one you like and stick with it. (Also, green apples are key, substituting red in a recipe will change the taste drastically.)
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can make nut milks with a juicer if you are into that kind of thing - almond milk, cashew milk... if I had a juicer that is probably what I would do with it.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I juice from time to time. Zucchini juices well, is a good low-sugar juice and blends well with other juices. It also yields a good amount of juice and is easy to prepare. Just wash, cut the ends and juice it. :)

While it's not the best practice, I'm guilty of making a fair bit of juice and putting it in glass mason jars in the fridge. I made juice on Monday and had it a day later. It probably loses some of its vitamins, but it's got to be better than the sugar sweetened stuff in the store. :)

If your juicer has a side bin to catch the waste, if you line it with one of the bags that you bought the veggies in, it helps with the clean up, provided that the bag doesn't touch any of the moving parts. ;)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can make nut milks with a juicer if you are into that kind of thing - almond milk, cashew milk... if I had a juicer that is probably what I would do with it.

All you need for this is a blender and a cheesecloth. It's super easy, I make my own almond milk.
  • Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options
    You can check out my profile and look at all I mix into my daily juice. Mine tastes horrible, but I go for specific characteristics in the nutrients they provide. To keep it real though, you just need to find a mixture that you think tastes great. The natural sugars in fruit aren't going to kill you and if you are juicjng daily, you'll be getting more way more vitamins and nutrients than you likely would otherwise. I could give you juicing tips beyond this if you'd like. Ive juiced for myself for quite some time, and I make juice for family members that fit their needs.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If you didn't use the juicer it's not your fault.. it's your juicer's fault. I had a juicer long ago and I HATED IT. I felt I was wasting my money on all the stuff int he pulp bin and cleaning it was a nightmare. When I decided to give juicing another go last summer, I bought a new juicer and OMG, what a difference. I bought the omega 8004/8006 model. It gets tons of juice from my greens and it takes less than 3 minutes to clean. It's also super quiet.. and It has a blank plate so I can puree foods in it too.

My favorite juice is a variation of the mean green recipe from fat sick and nearly dead:

1/2 pound of kale
    1 cucumber
    4 ribs of celery
    1-2 green apples
    1 lemon
    1" of ginger (less if you're not used to it)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

You can make almond milk in the omega 8004/8006.. you need to put the nuts through twice though to get all the milky goodness from it... you can also make nut butters in the 8004/8006..... The omega Vert makes better almond milk but it does not make nut butters.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You don't need to juice to get greens in... like you can just make zucchini bread muffins etc... be creative where you get your veggies. I just made an egg bake with 10 eggs, a jar of low calorie alfredo sauce, a whole lot of deli meat, tomatoes, and spinach... each slice which is generous is still only like 280 calories. I add a green drink powder into my yogurt sometimes with some honey.. you can sprinkle in a few berries. The excess pulp seems like a hassle and unless you bake a lot you would just have to throw it away or compost it.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i gave up juicing cause i hate cleaning the thing.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

So last year I bought a juicer, I was really excited to use it and up my veggie intake. Well lets just say... after the whole 2 times I used it... it's been sitting in the very back of my kitchen cabinet.

My problem was a). That it requires a lot of fruit/veggies to make a cup of juice, b). Cleaning the thing is a pain bc the rinds get stuck in the filter! and c). I ran out of juicing ideas, and d). I kept buying fruits/veggies and they would go bad bc I was a slacker at using them all up before expiring.

Do any of you Juice? If so... any tips? I eat healthy, but just want to be one of those avid "Juicer lovers." Is there an easy recipe that you swear by?

Thanks! xoxo

Katie

Just going to be real with you here for a sec.......no matter what ideas or recipes people give you, 3/4 of your reasons for not doing it still exist. Maybe you just shouldn't juice. That said I hope you get some great ideas if that's what you are looking for.
  • Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options
    You can check out my profile and look at all I mix into my daily juice. Mine tastes horrible, but I go for specific characteristics in the nutrients they provide. To keep it real though, you just need to find a mixture that you think tastes great. The natural sugars in fruit aren't going to kill you and if you are juicjng daily, you'll be getting more way more vitamins and nutrients than you likely would otherwise. I could give you juicing tips beyond this if you'd like. Ive juiced for myself for quite some time, and I make juice for family members that fit their needs.

Well I just checked out your profile and it would seem you know, quite well, how to eat healthy already. There are tons of great juicers at all price ranges from $150 on up. If you don't have a juicer that works well and cleans up easily, you'll probably just give up. Im using a breville at the moment and its served me well. Like I was saying, use any recipe that tastes good to you. Then slowly mix in vegetables later. You'll just have to experiment around, I sure did =/ went through tons of combinations. I love berry mixes and anything with apple. Keep in mind that most fruits and veggies only last 5-6 days!
  • bonniebell5936
    Options
    I've made some yummy stuff out of the pulp. We did apple cinnamon pancakes with leftover pulp from apple juice. http://mommynificent.com/2012/05/26/high-fiber-pancakes/
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I don't Juice.... but Sweet Baby Jesus you have AMAZING ABS and Everything else In between :smile:
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I make mine with 2 apples, 3 carrots, 1/2 cucumber and either kale or romaine lettuce. Romaines a bit cheaper and both are packed with nutrients. It's pretty tasty. We have the same juicer Joe used in Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. It is great and pretty easy to clean if you line the pulp chamber with a plastic bag.
  • cardinalsfootball
    cardinalsfootball Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Vitamix.

You eat all the fiber, so it's 100% consumed, and cleaning it takes 35 seconds (just blend with a drop of soap and water, pour out, rinse).

I do a green smoothie about 4x per week. In fact, check my diary today for the unbelievably tasty one I just drank 15 minutes ago.
  • Kcapitano
    Kcapitano Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you SOOO much for all your help everyone! I'm going to hit the store tomorrow and give the juicer another chance. I think some of you may be right, I prob just need a new juicer... bc the one I have works well, but the strainer takes foreverrrr to clean.

Thanks again! :)
    xoxo

Katie
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Thank you SOOO much for all your help everyone! I'm going to hit the store tomorrow and give the juicer another chance. I think some of you may be right, I prob just need a new juicer... bc the one I have works well, but the strainer takes foreverrrr to clean.

Thanks again! :)
    xoxo

Katie

I've found soaking it right away and using a veggie brush on the outside first helps clean it faster than anything else I've tried.
  • Richgee1
    Richgee1 Posts: 1
    Options
    The Ninja is awesome for juicing