Can i hit the bars if i stay within my calorie intake?

This is extreme but let’s says you drink 15 bud lights around 1700 calories, you’re given in my case 2300 calories anyway. I never usually eat that much especially during the week. But is it ok to go out to the bar if it fits in your calorie allowance?

Replies

• ton40orbust
    ton40orbust Posts: 155
    I say yes as long as it isn't an all the time thing.
    Also keep in mind that when your losing weight alcohol affects your body differently. So if 15 beers is what got you drunk or buzzed before you started losing weight, 5 might have you dancing on a table with a lamp.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 402 Member
    Its not the beers themselves, but the snack food that almost always comes with drinking.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    if youre not eating then you'll get drink faster and probably wont need as many beers :D
    just a hint. dont advise it
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Just drink water, every bit as filling, and much cheaper. Get the same effect.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Yes although I think I've read that alcohol has a particular affect on hampering muscle growth and increasing fat. Something to do with the hormones it triggers or mimicks... just do some quick research but otherwise it sounds good to me.
  • Netteyc
    Netteyc Posts: 18 Member
    Yes, I think that you will be ok - just stay away from the snacks that you will be craving after one too many beers, have a good night!
  • I have a burn out every so often, what i do is just have a good time and the week after im very good in what i eat and do some extra training if i can, and has long has your not doing all the time then y not.
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Everything in moderation. 15 Bud Light sounds like a waste of calories in my opinion.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Its not the beers themselves, but the snack food that almost always comes with drinking.

Nope, at 100+ calories each, it's definitely the beers. There's a reason for the phrase 'beer gut'. The snacks may make it worse, but the beer alone is more than capable of making you fat.

Saving enough calories in a day for a night on the town is probably going to leave you very short on food for the day. I'd suggest either -

> Just taking it as a night off, assuming it's not something that's done on a very regular basis. We're people, not weight-loss machines, and if you deprive yourself of everything, you'll get very miserable, very quickly. Even 15 beers will only cause a half pound weight increase IF they are consumed over your maintenance calories. If you ask me, it's worth it for a great night out.
    > Banking an extra 200 calories a day over the previous week (i.e. take your normal deficit and add 200)
  • Thank you for all the speedy responses, this was my first time posting and it was very helpful. I do have one more question, should i be eating all my calories or like one of you said leave some on the table for a night out or special occassion.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Thank you for all the speedy responses, this was my first time posting and it was very helpful. I do have one more question, should i be eating all my calories or like one of you said leave some on the table for a night out or special occassion.

Depends how big your deficit is.

If you're running a 1,000 calorie deficit, many will tell you to always eat all of your calories, plus all exercise calories. You will hear dire predictions of all your hair and nails falling out if you don't. These are alarmist at best, in my opinion. But I do think for general happiness I'd not eat at anything over a 1,000 deficit on a regular basis.

If you run a 500 calorie deficit, then it's not going to hurt to 'bank' a hundred or two each day for the weekend.

The MFP 'program' isn't really a prescribed program at all - all it's doing is telling you the calorie deficit needed to lose a given amount in a week, and leaving the rest up to you. So long as your trend is eating less than maintenance, you will lose weight. If that means only dieting on weekdays, and eating/drinking at maintenance or even a little above on the weekend, then so be it.