Is Body Pump real strenght training?

Options
2»

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Do you guys consider Body Pump and Barbell Strength type classes good for strength or do I need to do some other type of heavy lifting type of workouts.

I take a barbell strength class once a week and I have a few barbell strength DVDs that I do 3 days a week for 55 minutes and then after I’ll complete a half an hour of cardio. The DVD segments include rows, dead lifts, squats, abs, triceps, shoulders, biceps, back, chest, abductors, adductors and lunges. I only use around 35 pounds for my squats, dead lifts, and rows. I use 5, 8, and 10 pound dumbbells for pretty much everything else.

I noticed here that some are using a lot heavier weights than I use and I was just wondering if I will see results with the weights I’m using and with body pump type of workouts.

No, you will not see much in terms of increases in strength with a BodyPump type workout. I did Pump for around 6-9 months/ 2-3x a week. I did not see much at all in terms of strength gain. Once a track became easier in class I would up my weights even if it meant I had to skip a few reps but the increases were very small. I gave up Pump, only trying a class every now and then, and began working with a trainer and saw much bigger increases in my strength in a shorter amount of time. This was doing a lot of functional work.

Recently I began lifting on my own, doing compound lifts with the barbell, for the past two months (technically closer to a month and a half because I took a break to learn to swim). Here are my numbers:
    Front Squat - 45 lbs to 85 lbs
    Bench Press - 45 lbs to 60 lbs
    Bent Row - 45 lbs to 60 lbs
    Dead Lift - 65 lbs to 90 lbs
    Overhead Press - 45 lbs to 50 lbs

AND, now I can do 5 pullups! (<---- Very proud of that!)

In 6-9 months of Pump my increases were 4.4 lbs - 11 lbs, depending on the exercise and it was not for lack of trying.

The most noteworthy thing in your post is that you can now do pullups. This is one of the biggest fitness milestones people who are struggling to get fit will reach in their lives. Congratulations!
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    The most noteworthy thing in your post is that you can now do pullups. This is one of the biggest fitness milestones people who are struggling to get fit will reach in their lives. Congratulations!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think it's real strength training. I do it 2-3 times a week and over time my weights are increasing and I do get DOMS sometimes. I see progress as time goes by and don't view it as a cardio workout. My HR during body pump is nothing like when I do my cardio workouts...it's much much lower.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

I think that, when all is said and done, for most people, the day you reached your goal weight will never seem as big a deal as the day you banged out your first unassisted pullup with good form. At least that's how it is with me, and with others I know.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Check your local library or Amazon for the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." It's an awesome program. There's a group of women following it here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
    I'm a new Rules girl too. By the end of the program I was able to do the unassisted pull up. Not to mention loosing 18lbs, 4 pant sizes, 10% Bf
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Recently I began lifting on my own, doing compound lifts with the barbell, for the past two months (technically closer to a month and a half because I took a break to learn to swim). Here are my numbers:
    Front Squat - 45 lbs to 85 lbs
    Bench Press - 45 lbs to 60 lbs
    Bent Row - 45 lbs to 60 lbs
    Dead Lift - 65 lbs to 90 lbs
    Overhead Press - 45 lbs to 50 lbs

AND, now I can do 5 pullups! (<---- Very proud of that!)

In 6-9 months of Pump my increases were 4.4 lbs - 11 lbs, depending on the exercise and it was not for lack of trying.

See I need to start doing the weights on own, I have a gym membership, plus a barbell and bench at home
  • nashai01
    Options
    Check your local library or Amazon for the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." It's an awesome program. There's a group of women following it here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
    I'm a new Rules girl too. By the end of the program I was able to do the unassisted pull up. Not to mention loosing 18lbs, 4 pant sizes, 10% Bf

Thanks Just joined the group
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

See I need to start doing the weights on own, I have a gym membership, plus a barbell and bench at home

Since you have access to weights and you are willing to lift them then BP or anything similar would be a waste of your time. Good luck!
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy for nearly a year and I went into bodypump feeling pretty confident. Came out feeling SORE. It's a totally different kind of workout, but I don't think any worse or better. Doing 5 heavy squats is all very well if your goal is to put on muscle and lift the most amount you possibly can, one time. If you want general fitness, muscle endurance and cardio plays it's part too.

I think all big lifting guys should try it, just to see there can be other ways to challenge yourself in your lifting. But they are all about the GAINS and if there are no GAINS it is useless to them, haha.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Strength training is anything that improves or maintains strength. If it's challenging enough to do that, it's strength training.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't see body pump as being on the same plane as a solid compound lifting program. I view body pump as circuit training, as other people have said. I don't think that makes it any better or worse, just something entirely different from what you're asking about. Apples/oranges.

Yes, you can build endurance and change your body a bit with body pump, but your results and your strength gains will not be comparable to someone who is using a compound lifting program.
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy for nearly a year and I went into bodypump feeling pretty confident. Came out feeling SORE. It's a totally different kind of workout, but I don't think any worse or better. Doing 5 heavy squats is all very well if your goal is to put on muscle and lift the most amount you possibly can, one time. If you want general fitness, muscle endurance and cardio plays it's part too.

I think all big lifting guys should try it, just to see there can be other ways to challenge yourself in your lifting. But they are all about the GAINS and if there are no GAINS it is useless to them, haha.

Well said! And I don't see anyone actually mention that Body Pump is fun! I can't ever imagine having the same amount of fun doing few reps of compound lifts as I do in a Body Pump class. I've been doing Pump for several years now, and will never stop doing it because I ENJOY it.

By the way, take no notice of those studies which quoted the cals burned, it is ridiculous to try and pin point an average on cals in that class because there are so many variables, dependent on release type, how much weight you use, so saying you definitely won't burn more than xxx cals is pointless and wrong. I regularly burn in excess of 400 per class and have burned 550. And the direction Pump is going in is that there are a lot more plyometric/athletic moves which will increase calorie burns.

So whilst it might not be about building strength per se, Pump is a great class with overall fitness benefits and is highly enjoyable. And my biceps are looking pretty darn hot thanks to Body Pump. I don't do any other "strength" training.

I really don't understand why there is so much hatred on these forums for Body Pump, heavy lifters should just accept that not everyone wants to do what they do. I would be bored out of my brain.
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    If your training for strength only then the answer is no. Any strength gains made early on from body pump will be a neurological response for adapting to the weight. If you want to know about serious strength training look up the nsca or acsm guidelines for strength training.
  • nashai01
    Options
    Thanks again, everyone