FRUSTRATED eating back calories and now gaining weight :(

Options
I am so frustrated. I've been at this almost 10 weeks! I should be getting skinnier every week, but now I'm gaining steadily. I went from 1200 to 1500 calories and not eating exercise calories back for the first 7 weeks, then stopped losing. upped my calories because(started to eat back exercises calories and gaining steadily all the weight that lost. I don't get it. I just am so beyond frustrated at this point. I look like i am still pregnant and I feel flabbier. I can't win for losing.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Three possibilities:

You're underestimating calories consumed (using a food scale will help if this is so).

You're overestimating calories burned (this can happen even with a good HRM, to solve this either cut what it says you burned down when you do your calculations or just leave a calorie cushion that you don't eat back).

Or you need your thyroid checked.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Three possibilities:

You're underestimating calories consumed (using a food scale will help if this is so).

You're overestimating calories burned (this can happen even with a good HRM, to solve this either cut what it says you burned down when you do your calculations or just leave a calorie cushion that you don't eat back).

Ohhhh it drives me nuts when people say I am under estimating my calories. To me its like saying "Your telling me I am under estimating my 1500 calories a day enough to make me gain a pound, which would mean me accidentally eating 3,500-5000 calories more than what I expect?" I highly doubt my homemade sandwich with wheat bread, ham, and spinach with a serving of chips is anything close to 1k calories. Didn't mean to directly fire this at you, but when people say that booooy It gets me pissed lol I'm not even the poster, but I doubt she is under estimating that many calories to make her gain. >.<
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    If you are on point with all your logging and you are still gaining then drop your calories until you lose. Everyone is different.

People get advised to up their calories when they stall out on 1200 - but if you are gaining on more calories then reduce.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    When my daily calories was on 1240, I ate my exercise calories back. Now, that it's on 1966, I don't eat 'em back :wink:

How many calories are you on BEFORE exercise?
  • ponyfan81
    ponyfan81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Define "gaining"...are you 2 lbs heavier all of a sudden? If so, you aren't gaining - it's water weight. If you start eating more it takes a few days for your body to adjust.

Everyone needs to stop freaking out about a pound or two here or there. You aren't going to see meaningful results, positive or negative, over a period of less than a week.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Three possibilities:

Ohhhh it drives me nuts when people say I am under estimating my calories. To me its like saying "Your telling me I am under estimating my 1500 calories a day enough to make me gain a pound, which would mean me accidentally eating 3,500-5000 calories more than what I expect?" I highly doubt my homemade sandwich with wheat bread, ham, and spinach with a serving of chips is anything close to 1k calories. Didn't mean to directly fire this at you, but when people say that booooy It gets me pissed lol I'm not even the poster, but I doubt she is under estimating that many calories to make her gain. >.<

Overestimating exercise, maybe then? :flowerforyou:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private, so that makes it a little difficult to help?

How are you doing with your water are you drinking plenty?

Are you logging everything you eat?

Do you think you have reached a plateau?

If you eat less calories than your body needs and add exercise to tone then you will lose weight?

I don`t want you to feel that I am putting you down in any way I am really just trying to get you back on track by asking some questions :smile:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Three possibilities:

Over estimating exercise calories to eat back. Many people use online calculators or MFP numbers to get their exercise burn. From experience those numbers can be way off and if you eat them back you can be eating a substantial amount more than you should be.
  • missylee117
    missylee117 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water too?? It really helps, get some more exercise and drink that water! good luck
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Three possibilities:

Do you use a food scale to measure EVERYTHING?

If you don't, then I don't see how it's unreasonable for anyone to ask the question.

Underestimating by 200-300 calories a day would add up over time.
  • kookanddra
    Options
    Drop your calories back down again and try not to eat all of your calories back. You wont show loosing weight if your exercising but your measurments will change. Its very easy to get frustrated. I've been on this for 4 months and I'm at a complete standstill. I've lost 20 pounds and can't get any further. So I decided to try and focus on toning my body for a while. Partly because I started to loose my boobs. So, I stick with my calories and try working on my trouble spots. Everyone is different but when you find your spot again you'll be very happy you did!! Good luck and hang in there!!
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Three possibilities:

I think you're blowing his statements out of proportion. If people are just estimating how many grams/ounces/cups/tablespoons/etc things are, they may be sorely mistaken and it creates threads like these. If OP could verify using a food scale diligently and opening her food diary, then it might help to narrow down her issues.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    From what I've been reading, and I've been reading a LOT since I have the same issue, under-estimating calories consumed is a very common problem. People will report that they are not losing or even gaining weight on 1200 calories per day, but if those same people are put in a controlled environment and fed 1200 precisely calories per day, virtually 100% of them will lose weight. I was on 1200 calories per day for 4-5 weeks and didn't lose at all. I know I wasn't precisely at 1200 calories per day every day because I would sometimes have a taste of something my husband was eating or lick the spoon, but I figured I couldn't possibly have been eating that many more calories so as to put me at maintenance, but somehow or another, I can't really explain it, I was maintaining, not losing.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Little hard to give an opinion with a closed diary. But the body is an amazingly adaptable piece of work. There are so many possibilities.

As mentioned
    Hormones play a big role
    Food plays a big role (especially sodium, simple carbs etc..)
    Water plays a big role.
    Exercising plays a big role
    Pretty much everything you do!

A few questions that may help you: What are your goals (1 or 2 lbs per wk)? What is your TDEE? What is your BMR? What are your current calories set at? What is your water intake per day? What is your exercise routine? Is there a possibility of being pregnant? Hey gotta ask all the questions.

Your ticker states you have lost 15lbs. That great results for 10 - 15 weeks worth of work. Of this how much is gained back (if any)?

Weight loss is not linear...some days, weeks, months will be better than others..just keep at it. It is very frustrating and many folks on here feel your frustration, but you will get there, Keep a positive attitude and you will achieve.

Oh and if you gained back weight from eating back calories, try only eating back half. See how that goes for 3 weeks.

Good luck and we are with you!

My two mottos: If it were easy, everyone would be healthy. and Nutrition is a diet......Nutrition with exercise is a LIFESTYLE
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    P.S: Weighing things out in grams instead of cups and measuring spoons can make a huge difference, I've learned. 1/2 cup can vary by as much as 100 calories depending on whether your measurement is level with the top of the cup, slightly rounded above the top of the cup, or slightly under the top of the cup.
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So I got to the same point as you. SOOO frustrating and no matter what I did I couldn't shift any more weight. So I decided to sign up to a personal trainer and do ALOT of online research. This is what I have learnt which is helping me shift the weight pretty quickly.

1) It is not just about the calories you consume but the types of calories. Drop the white bread, white pasta, white rice and alcohol. Replace them with wholemeal of everything even then limit it to only 30% of your meal (unfortunately the alcohol does not come in wholemeal so that will need to go fullstop..sniff sniff).
    2) Change your exercise regime to give your body a shock. All I used to do was cycling and spinning, my body was so used to working those muscles it had given up trying. I now do brisk walks, intervals and boxing.
    3) Do some weight training. I know this sounds shocking but for every 1lb of muscle you gain your body burns 50kcals a day more. You won't look like Jody Marsh either as long as you do low weights high reps.
    4) This last one is just from my experience and it might not work for you but I supplement my diet with psyllium husk capsules makes me feel fuller for so much longer. I don't use them instead of food but along side.

Hope that helps
  • Hleaver
    Hleaver Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started January 10 and so far have lost 44 pounds. I started on an arbitrary figure of 1200 calories a day. I am a man and I am 6'4" tall. According to this site I should be able to lose weight if I stay on 2000 calories a day, I have learned that, that does not work for me. I learned through trial and error what I needed to do. I hate exercise so I don't do that and 1200 calories is working. I suggest that you use this site and record everything you put in your mouth, water, green tea, bacon whatever it is. I think it is important to be accountable for what you do to yourself and I also suggest you weigh yourself everyday. I know this goes against conventional thinking but it works for me, and I get an immediate response to what I have done the day before. If you are gaining weight you are eating more than you need or more precisely more calorie rich food. Good luck I know it's hard but in the end it's worth it. If I can offer any moral support let me know...Howard fellow weight struggler.
  • Lillouns
    Lillouns Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Define "gaining"...are you 2 lbs heavier all of a sudden? If so, you aren't gaining - it's water weight. If you start eating more it takes a few days for your body to adjust.

Everyone needs to stop freaking out about a pound or two here or there. You aren't going to see meaningful results, positive or negative, over a period of less than a week.

Yes! Pretty much exactly right. 1200 could have been too little for you. Yes, you will lose to begin, but you will eventually plateau (like you did) By eating more, your getting your body out of that under-eating mode. You will gain back a few pounds, but it will be OKAY! Give yourself a week or two, and I bet you'll start losing again!
  • Naomi0222
    Naomi0222 Posts: 84
    Options
    Three possibilities:

OMG, I totally agree with the frustrations, I'm tired of reading that also.