Cravings. Women Only (Warning)...hehe

Options
Just wondering if any other women have this same symptom! So I don't get typical PMS symptoms, never had. I don't get cranky, crampy, crave foods, etc. Pretty low key periods. Glad I shared? :) What I do get is a surge in appetite during ovulation... does this happen to anyone else? No, I am not pregnant... this has happened for a long time and not currently happening at the moment. I was just reminded of this during a conversation I had earlier and couldn't find anything on the web, so I thought I would post here. Thoughts? I work in healthcare, but obviously this is not my area of expertise. :)

Replies

• literaryshots
    literaryshots Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yep I too have this surge in appetite. Took me a while to make the connection. My stomach will growl and even though I know I should be satisfied with my food choices, I won't be.
  • Ms172u
    Ms172u Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am on the same page..I actually get extremely hungry up to the point of my period showing up, it's terrible.
    I had my tubes tied in 2008 and I've had this problem ever since I gave birth to my oldest daughter in 2005... I don't know what it is, but it sucks... but what can we do?
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm ravenous around TOM... and I crave carbs... I just let myself have them within reason and within my calorie intake and it seems to work. I'm still losing weight consistently.

If I don't eat the carbs my body craves during this time.. I am ONE cranky *B*!! I'm a believer that your body craves certain things for a reason... so... I eat them! :laugh:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I get really hungry too. No cravings at all just actually, painfully hungry. And yes, as somebody else said, it's beforehand... I know when it's coming because I eat the same thing every day between breakfast and afternoon and when I'm about to get my period is the only time it doesn't satisfy me. You do burn slightly more energy during your period so I always just plan some extra snacks in.... or perhaps (although are you already on maintenance?) you could eat closer to your maintenance calories those days and have some treats :flowerforyou:
  • Brittangel
    Options
    I can really relate on this subject its always chocolate that gives me a whirl. I haven't completely said no to my sweet tooth but I watch it like an eagle eye these days. Depriving myself of something like this only upsets me. Yet one thing that really helped me realize that I was really doing alot of good with my diet is my last cycle surprised me. I had maybe two cramps the entire time and I only went for 3 days compared to my normal 5 days. The flow was not nearly as bad as normal either. I hate it but what you eat makes a HUGE difference if you eat the right stuff. (Oh and I'm not prego) I cannot wait till my next cycle to prove my own tests that I've been doing on myself :bigsmile:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I read a study somewhere (just need to find it) that said that while cycling your metabolism surges a bit. Many women burn an additional 200-300 calories per day...this could easily explain the ravenous feelings...
  • fraochin
    fraochin Posts: 48
    Options
    A few days before mine I eat like a horse! I am liabel to eat anything that sits still for long enough! My body CRAVES sugar! I try to up my fruit intake now so I get lots of natural sugar but ya know what, for that one week of the month I think it's ok to allow yourself some chocolate!

I think we get more dehydrated then too so I also try to increase my water for the week! Seems to help... a little!
  • johnsoag
    johnsoag Posts: 59
    Options
    I am the same way - no bloating, cramping, yadda yadda.
    funny thing though - my appeitite goes up and i eat more, but I feel skinnier. haha
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    See, this is what I mean... it's totally opposite for me which is strange! I don't get hungry or anything during "TOM" as everyone calls it, just during "ovulation" which is mid-cycle... anyone else?
  • fraochin
    fraochin Posts: 48
    Options
    TOM visited me today. I've been craving sugar!

I ate a pretty good diet but then this evening I got really shaky so I had four biscuits. Then I had two bags of crisps. Oops! Ah well!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    See, this is what I mean... it's totally opposite for me which is strange! I don't get hungry or anything during "TOM" as everyone calls it, just during "ovulation" which is mid-cycle... anyone else?

I get really hungry during the "pre" time, but then I know the day I am going to start my actual TOM because I feel sick and not hungry at all.............