What do you mix with cottage cheese?

Options

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Robin. You have to buy Fat Free Cottage Cheese, and you can mix fruit or tomatoes with cottage cheese. Doesn't matter if it's big curd or small curd, just so long as it's fat free.
    Write to me if you wish
    Robin

Who says cottage cheese has to be fat-free??? I use 1-2% and occasionally full-fat and I eat it every day.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Sweet and cottage cheese weirds me out. I like to mix tomato, egg and cucumber with salt and pepper.
  • KaraKramerRapp
    KaraKramerRapp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird, but my favorite way to eat it is heated up with bananas. I take 1 Tbs of real maple syrup and one banana sliced up. I "fry" the banana in the syrup and then put it on top of the warm cottage cheese. It's kind of like a bananas fosters.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird, but my favorite way to eat it is heated up with bananas. I take 1 Tbs of real maple syrup and one banana sliced up. I "fry" the banana in the syrup and then put it on top of the warm cottage cheese. It's kind of like a bananas fosters.

It sounds weird, but that sounds delicious! I will definitely try that for dessert at some point... If I'm feeling really crazy I may include a teaspoon of butter with the syrup!
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Robin. You have to buy Fat Free Cottage Cheese, and you can mix fruit or tomatoes with cottage cheese. Doesn't matter if it's big curd or small curd, just so long as it's fat free.
    Write to me if you wish
    Robin

Who says cottage cheese has to be fat-free??? I use 1-2% and occasionally full-fat and I eat it every day.

Haha yeah I agree. I usually eat fat free because i like the less runny texture but to say you "have to buy fat free CC" is silly.
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Tuna
  • cmulligan101
    Options
    I enjoy cottage cheese on its own but do like to add frozen berry fruit. It is also really good with cinnamon mixed in, kinda ends up tasting a little like rice pudding :)
  • nytefalle
    nytefalle Posts: 63
    Options
    Do you do this before cooking the eggs or after?

I can not eat cottage cheese, I can not get past the texture. BUT, I know it's a great protein source, so if I can find a way to get it into my diet, I will~!!

I can't do cottage cheese as it is. Pureed to death in a protein shake, bring it on. It makes the shake very creamy & "rich" tasting, even if you're using fat free.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I like it plain :)
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of cottage cheese most of the time, but I do mix it with equal parts salsa and put that in wraps, use it as a dip, or mix it with my eggs. It's also alright in lasagna.

There was someone earlier today who called it "devil's semen" and I was definitely able to sympathize with her on that except when I can't taste it.
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use the low fat cottage cheese and mix it with one splenda (I know that is not the best choice, but it works for me), one tablespoon of mini chocolate chips and some vanilla extract and then it almost tastes like the inside of a cannoli :smile: ! I also add raspberries or strawberries to it and it is really good!
  • rocnicalb
    rocnicalb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I buy large curd and mix it with apples, pineapples, papaya or fresh mango. makes a great breakfast.
  • TheKadester
    Options
    I always eat mine plain. I just add salt and pepper to taste. (: It goes awesome with a whole wheat bagel & low fat cream cheese. Yum!
  • missmluvinlife
    Options
    I like to put pineapple if I want something sweet I also like peas and a dash of salad dressing in it if I want savory
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options

Tomatoes, fresh basil, a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper (cottage cheese caprese)

Yummm. Great idea! I am going to try this. I like cottage cheese with tomatoes, never thought to add basil, O&V. I might have some of this tonight!
  • Apyl32
    Apyl32 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use cottage cheese as a side dish with dinner. A couple times I had it with fruit, I think peaches and pinapples. I use it in recipes like stuffed shells and lasanga, put it on top of chili. We love cottage cheese in my house.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am just starting in my cottage cheese "journey", so not a lot to offer that hasn't been already. Usually a tsp of honey drizzled on top of the cheese, then add strawberries (and blueberries if I have them). Sometimes I'll add mango (and if it's a honey mango I won't use additional honey).

I started with full fat just to get used to eating the stuff, but have started getting 2% so I can eat more volume and stay full. Not much difference in taste between the 4% and 2%, to me.

Glad to hear lots of great ideas, including savory stuff! Especially love the "caprese" idea :)
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My spoon :D
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I can't stand cottage cheese, but I make 2 things with it. First of all, a delicious strawberry parfait that's slightly over 200 calories. I take 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese, mix in 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp almond extract, then add 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt. Stir that together and top with sliced berries.

The other thing, not so healthy, is a jello salad. I use one carton of cottage cheese and mix in part of a package of jello (any flavor, add as much as you want flavor... sugar free is fine to use). Add canned fruit, I like crushed pineapple, a small container of cool whip (again, FF or SF or light varieties are fine), and then you can add marshmallows (which will really push the calorie count up) and/or coconut.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I eat the 4% and the best kind so far is walmarts brand. Really good with cherry tomatoes