Eating after a certain hour in the day

Options
Does eating after a certain hour in the day really matter? I have a late evening Taekwondo class and am always feeling the need for food afterward. I stay below my calorie budget, no matter when I'm eating. So does the hour really make a difference?

Replies

• MissKaay
    MissKaay Posts: 25
    Options
    It always has to me, if I eat after 6, I gain it. I don't eat after 5 though unless I have to..
  • cward2010
    cward2010 Posts: 2
    Options
    "Eat late, gain weight? This myth has been around for years, and although some people could swear that their late-night eating habits do make them gain weight, recent research has shown that your body doesn’t process food differently at different times of the day. The total amount of calories that you take in, and how much you exercise during the day, are what affect your weight. However, many people do tend to overeat and choose high-calorie foods as snacks at night, both of which will cause weight gain." ~

http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/TherapeuticCenters/WeightManagement.aspx?ChunkID=156995
  • brwneyes71
    brwneyes71 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor not to eat two hours before i go to bed. so that's what i follow every night. try that and see if that works for you. good luck
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a problem eating late (11pm) and go to bed an hour or two later- MD's say to wait 1-2 hours to prevent gastric reflux
    I'm still loosing 1-2 #s/week, but I've also been trying to have the bulk of my cals at breakfast and lunch, hope that helps:smile:
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    My last meal, which is a snack, is at 1 am. I've lost almost 40 lbs.
    That said, I'm on a totally different schedule than most people. My day starts when most are having lunch. I'm on my husband's schedule where we get up between 11:30am-noon. We usually sit down to "breakfast" at 12:30pm. We eat 5-6 meals a day every 2 1/2-3 hrs. apart.
    As long as you're staying within reason of your calorie limits, watching sodium levels so you don't retain water, getting enough fiber, etc... Then, getting exercise... One of the most important things: getting 7-8 hours of sleep... Then, I'd say eating before bed is a myth.
    Think about it... The typical overweight person that is snacking at night and not watching what they eat are consuming a ton of calories with chips, cookies...the bad stuff.
    One thing I've learned...it IS possible to have ANYTHING you want to eat. Just budget for it and you'll do fine. Never say you can't have something because that's just setting yourself up for possible failure.

Good luck! :)
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I feel the same way as you. I eat late just because that's what fits into my schedule and if I eat too early, then I am hungry around 9 and then I end up eating more anyway.............I had this annoying boyfriend who would not eat after 6 and it would absolutely drive me crazy............we had to go out on very early dinner dates and there would be times that we didn't make his 6 o'clock deadline and he refused to eat and would just sit there and watch me eat............I don't understand it, if you have a deficit of calories at the end of the day, you should lose weight still, right?
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is right. What time of day you eat food has very little to do with weight loss. Some people find success with not eating after a certain time... but this is because that is the time people tend to snack in front of the tv (which is not what you are doing) and therefore they take in more calories if they don't give themselves that restriction.
  • Dcjones
    Dcjones Posts: 12
    Options
    I think if you eat right and exercise..time is not an issue.
  • deborahmora
    Options
    I just talked with a personal trainer who said .. "eat and burn"! If you eat and are inactive, your metabolisim slows down. I am seeing a nutritionist and a trainer who both say i need to raise my motabolisim by eating smaller amounts but eat 5 times a day and i should put something in my stomach within minutes of walking up. My night time, even late night (2 hrs before bed) snack should be something that burns easily, such as fruit. ~ I have always been a terrable eater. I am in the first stages of a new way to live. ~ Good luck
  • Sara1478
    Sara1478 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Does eating after a certain hour in the day really matter? I have a late evening Taekwondo class and am always feeling the need for food afterward. I stay below my calorie budget, no matter when I'm eating. So does the hour really make a difference?

Providing I stay at my daily allowance of calories, it makes no difference to me. The thing is, you have your class and are then starving hungry, what are you going to do, try to sleep on a completely empty stomach - try that and I bet your brain won't let you nod off, it thinks it will get some nosh and keep you awake. Just allow for having something to eat after your class - I bet you use up tons of calories in Taekwondo anyway!