Snacking Question!!

Options
I've recently experienced quite the "Munchie binge" so today at the store I bought a bag of organic carrots. And over the course of the day (not in one sitting... two sittings) I've managed to basically eat the entire one pound bag with the help of a little ranch dip... I am wondering if this is still considered a healthy snack, minus the ranch dip.. What do you guy think?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Define healthy.

For weight loss, it doesn't matter as long as it fit into your day and you're still in a deficit.
  • aehenson
    aehenson Posts: 86
    Options
    If you are going to binge, carrots are better than chips or cookies!
  • AndreaEliz93
    Options
    Good Point! Thanks! :) And I guess considering they are a vegetable it's better to over eat a bag of carrots than a over eat a bag of potato chips...
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If carrots aren't a healthy snack what is? :-)
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Smart move too...better than getting your crunch on with a bag of chips.
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Healthy :) carrots are super low-cal and good for you in general. If you're going to be munching, those are exactly the sort of thing to be munching on rather than fatty, sugary, fake stuff. (By fake I mean super processed and high sodium.) Like adini said, as long as you're still in that deficit, it's good. :)
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    if your gonna binge then do it on vegetables and fruits, carrots are highly nutrtional so its not a bad thing, as for the ranch, that wouldnt be to healthy depending on how many servings youve had unless you have like the walden farms ranch dressing, subsitute the dressing for hummus and lime! that makes a tasty healthy alternative
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    sans dipping sauce you're golden! ..... or at least orangeish
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a Ranch dressing that is rather low calorie and really yummy. Like 30 cals in 2 Tbsp.
    I like to eat whole bags of chips, so yeah carrots are a decent alternative.

If you have time to chop things, check out fresh zucchini & cucumbers too! yum.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Good on you for choosing carrots. If it was me and feeling like a binge, I would def have gone to salty crunchy potato chips..
  • lexidear
    lexidear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    just watch how many you eat or you may start turning orange...
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Were you really hungry enough to eat all those carrots? Were you eating even though you weren't hungry anymore?

The behavior is more problematic than the actual food. I don't think it's healthy to overeat and give your body a whole load of stuff it doesn't want or isn't ready to use, even if it's carrots. And I think you know that otherwise you wouldn't have bothered to post a topic about it.

A lot of people will say it's okay to binge on carrots, but I don't think it's okay to make a habit of bingeing on anything.