To those who have lost 100+lbs

Options
What did you do? How did you eat ? What kinds of exercise did you do? I'm really curious and need some encouragement. I just feel I am going to be 250 for the rest of my life. I can't even visualize myself thin! I will keep at it because I do want to be healthy and I enjoy a good workout, but I cannot visualize me thin!

Replies

• Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    What did you do?
    I counted calories. I exercised and set little goals and tried to meet them. Like maybe first I'd try to replace water with soda and I would work to that. When that was easier, I would find another goal. Maybe eating more fruit or veggies and I'd see how I could improve on that. Maybe I'd read an article and realize that white bread was bad...so I'd try to eat more whole grains.
    How did you eat?
    I eat more in moderation now. I still eat some junk food here and there. I just try to eat less of it. I don't really eat chips much anymore. No more cookies for breakfast. I eat out less often too. I try to focus on what I can eat than what I can't these days. I figure my body need so much protein, calcium, nutrients, fiber ect so I try to focus on eating that healthy stuff for it to be healthier. I try to eat dairy 3 times a day. I try to eat more protein with chicken, turkey and seafood. I eat a big salad with lots of veggies at lunch. I try to eat healthy fats-olive oil, almonds/nuts as a snack, ect.
    What kinds of exercise did you do?
    I started at 280 and really never liked gym class. Hard to say this was the first real exercise I was doing...I started out with dvds by an instructor named Leslie Sanson and her Walk away the pounds dvds. I started with 1 mile and when that was easier progressed. She has up to 5 miles I think, so you have something to challenge you. I liked that all I had to know how to do was walk and I just moved at my own pace. Plus I could do it inside my home!! After I lost weight and got more confident with exercise I have tried more things. I just find workout dvds at thrift shops and second hand stores I like to visit. I think the most intense dvds I have done so far was Turbo Fire with Chalene Johnson this past fall. Just find a workout that you like to do, and that is at your level...
    At my highest weight I was 312-318. I was overweight all through elementary school and high school so I've never been really a normal weight. You can do it if you think you can!
    And I don't consider myself thin either. My goal is just to be...healthy.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    What did you do? How did you eat ? What kinds of exercise did you do? I'm really curious and need some encouragement. I just feel I am going to be 250 for the rest of my life. I can't even visualize myself thin! I will keep at it because I do want to be healthy and I enjoy a good workout, but I cannot visualize me thin!

I lost 120 pounds once about 11 years ago. I do 22 minutes of cardio 6 days a week and every other day I strength train with one muscle group. I try not to look too far ahead. I have friends in the Navy SEALs and they go through a hell week of 24/7 straight training. They made it through hell week by only looking hour to hour. When the going gets tough, I don't look any further past the next hour. It has served me very well. When you are already struggling to find motivation, looking too far ahead can be psychologically daunting.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Counted calories
    Drank plenty of water
    Exercised 6 days a week
    Made sure I ate enough (I never undereat)
    Ate back my exercise calories (at least 80%)
    Did both cardio and strength training
    Took a cheat day occasionally (which I don't log)
    Did not follow any faddy diet or use diet aids
    Ate a balanced diet and made sure that it included plenty of protein
    Built in treats to my diet
    Varied my work outs
    Remained patient

Hey, worked for me :wink:
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Thanks...this is very motivating for me. I still want to be able to eat treats now and then...like I did today, I had a brownie at the church dinner! I want to be able to eat like a normal person. I want to be healthy, but I'm not a health nut. I'm a broke person trying to figure out cost effective alternatives to unhealthy snacks. I do enjoy veggies and fruit..I have yet to meet a veggie I didn't like! I don't want this process to get complicating! I keep reading things...one article says cardio doesn't work and do just do weights...and then somebody else says the machines don't work because you're sitting....um, after the work out I had today I would beg to differ. I was sweating and shaking and a few machines!
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If money is a consideration, give Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred a try. You can get the DVD for $10 or even look at it on YouTube for free. You'll get your cardio and your strength training all in one shot.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

I barely missed your cut-off but I'll reply! :smile: I'm copying and pasting from my blog so I hope it flows ok....

I joined mfp in Feb 2011 and bought a $200 exercise bike (thank you, tax refund!). I have logged my food on myfitnesspal everyday since then. It's something I actually like to do. I know for some people, logging makes them obsess over food but for me it almost keeps me from obsessing over food I think. I have it all planned out in the morning (or the night before) so I don't have to think "I WANT TO EAT THIS I WANT TO EAT THAT" all day.

I started out eating about 1800-2000 calories per day and slowly got down to around 1600-1700 per day after several months. I just tracked it, whatever I ate and even on days I ate 2800 calories. I do my calories by deficit. When I was obese, I was aiming for a 3500-5000 calorie deficit per week, when I was just overweight, I was aiming for around 3500 deficit per week, but once I got really close to my goal, I started aiming for just about 1000 calorie deficit per week. (I set mfp to maintain and log my exercise calories so my calorie goal ends up being an estimate of my TDEE and the whatever is left is my estimated deficit)

I eat a lot healthier than I used to. Lots of real, healthy foods but I also eat plenty of junk too.

I started out doing just exercise bike, eventually switched over to DVD workouts (lots of Jillian and Tae Bo), and eventually joined the gym and started lifting.

When I started MFP, I didn't know if I could do it and I set my goal to get into the 170s at first. Once I'd lost 10 lbs, I gained so much confidence and set my goal to get to a healthy weight (under 145)! Losing the weight has been a lot easier than I thought it would be. It has not been hard to stick to. I love tracking my food on mfp. I like going to the gym. I hate when I miss gym days. I like playing with my dumbbells at home. I love hiking with the kids. I hated working out at first but I kept doing it 6 days per week and slowly I started loving it. I eat so much healthier than I did before. I still love to eat and I eat so much deliciousness every day.

Patience hasn't always come easily. But 18 months to lose 85 lbs really is nothing in my hopefully 100 years of life. ;) Now that I'm at my goal weight, progress is even slower so I think that was just practice for the patience required now to reach new goals :)
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks...this is very motivating for me. I still want to be able to eat treats now and then...like I did today, I had a brownie at the church dinner! I want to be able to eat like a normal person. I want to be healthy, but I'm not a health nut. I'm a broke person trying to figure out cost effective alternatives to unhealthy snacks. I do enjoy veggies and fruit..I have yet to meet a veggie I didn't like! I don't want this process to get complicating! I keep reading things...one article says cardio doesn't work and do just do weights...and then somebody else says the machines don't work because you're sitting....um, after the work out I had today I would beg to differ. I was sweating and shaking and a few machines!

I think it's great to keep it simple. Find exercise you enjoy, and stick with it. I think it's good to do a bit of cardio (will help with that calorie deficit) and strength training. You might find that your interests evolve over time and you might get an interest in lifting or running or dancing or pilates or something else. As long as you are getting in regular exercise and counting calories, you'll do great.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 pounds once, gained it all back, and I'm on my way to losing it for good and then some this time. I've got over 100 to lose (more like 150 at least). Don't forget to keep it in small, manageable chunks and remember that some weeks you will not do as well as others, but the key is not to lose all hope and fall back into bad habits but to just get right back on the wagon. Also, sometimes you will be doing great and the scale won't show it. Don't let THAT discourage you! I flatlined at 200 pounds last time, and I got so discouraged that I couldn't break the 100 barrier that I let it eventually lead to complete weight regain. Argh!

Here's what I do now:
    1. I log all of my food here so I can track calories and make sure I'm balanced on nutrients (not going over on sodium, fat, or sugar most days, for example).
    2. I log all of my food in a handwritten diary (love my moleskine notebook!), so I can track what times I eat and other items (did I have a headache, am I feeling bloated, etc) that may be of consideration later on.
    3. I set my exercise goal at an attainable 3x/week @ 30 minutes per time. I'm exercising more than that, especially now, as I'm craving it now that I'm active again. However, I know me, and I know if I set my goal at 6x/week and couldn't make it, I'd browbeat myself. So I have a minimum of 3x, and everything over that is gravy.
    4. I eat smaller meals more frequently, and I try not to eat processed foods whenever possible, as that will blow your sodium, fats, and sugars right out of the water, and for me, I'm trying to retrain my tongue and brain to like foods 'as-is' without addictive taste crap added unnecessarily. I'd rather add my own butter, salt, and sugar, so I can control it. Example: Instant oatmeal for breakfast - the health value of plain versus "maple and brown sugar" or some other flavoured variety is way different! So I do the plain and I add a small packet of sugar sometimes or some fresh fruit instead.
    5. BYOL - bring your own lunch. I've got free access to a cafeteria and well-stocked lounge where I work, and that was dangerous! Plus, there's a coffee bar right here too. I bring my own lunch so I know ahead of time what I will be eating at work.
    6. Food scale - it was a great investment for me so I could tell if my 'eyeing it' was right. If I put 6oz chicken, was it really? Or was I fooling myself? The scale helps. You can get some fairly cheaply.

PPMA - proper positive mental attitude! Keep telling yourself you can and will do this. Don't focus on one weight or one 'look' (aka being thin), focus on a lifestyle change. I'm calling it re-healthing myself -- I'm getting the healthy back, and whatever that weight looks like is fine.

Moderation - allow yourself cheats, but try to keep it within your calorie limits for the day. That way you don't feel deprived! You have to select them carefully and not do them all at once, but it really does help so you don't feel like you gave something up forever.

Set small goals (I'm going to eat at my calorie limit for the whole week, I'm going to work out once a week for 4 weeks, I'm going to walk 5 minutes a day more, etc), and log them and celebrate (in a non-food way!) when you reach them :) Pat yourself on the back and slowly ramp up your goals, but not too quickly. If you set a huge goal and don't make it, you may depress yourself. Baby steps! It sucks to have so much to lose, trust me, I know! But self-recriminations aren't going to make me healthy -- small goals and thinking positively will!
  • Fisherdh13
    Fisherdh13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Heather1899 explained it well. Once you've decided this is what you want to do (change your lifestyle, get healthier, etc., which INCLUDES losing weight), you just start. Then you find little things to adjust as you progress. (For example, I thought the "fiber" muffins I bought were healthy but then I read the label, so changed to eggs and veges for breakfast.) You take it a day at a time and you don't beat yourself up if you mess up for a day or two.

I cook larger amounts and eat from them for 3 or 4 days. So each day I'll mix a protein, complex carb, and vegetables (again cooked ahead) for variety. I find I use much less dressings and sauces than before; too much doesn't taste good. For me I was eating even too much of the good stuff so cut down portion size (use smaller plates and bowls, use measuring cups or get a scale to help with portions). Eat lots of protein. Eat lots of complex carbs, like brown rice, quinoa, pasta blends like Barilla plus work for me. Eat as many veges as you can. shop the sales for fresh veges. I steam mine (a combination of veges, not just one kind) in the microwave seasoned with a no salt blend and again, make enough for 3 or 4 days. For me I stay away from both fruit and sugar. You may need to find something you like (and will stay out of) for a reward or treat. I've tried smoothies and whey powder but am more comfortable with what I described above (and that way is cheaper, too). I shop for protein when on sale, like salmon.

I'm not down 100 pounds yet, but I've lost 60 pounds. My goal is nearly 100 pounds. I'm over 60 years old and sedentary. I work full time from home sitting in front of a computer. I've had bad habits for so long that its been hard to change my mindset. I started this journey before I found MFP. I had lost about 35 pounds by doing what I've described above. I went looking for something like MFP because I could see that I needed to be sure I wasn't missing something I should be doing to stay healthy during this transition and wanted to be able to look back and see what I had done..

By logging with MFP and realizing what I was eating, I started trying to hit the MFP goal, and the weight continued coming off. I still don't have a regular exercise program, but am working on it. I still have bad days if I buy things I shouldn't have in the house.

Remember, you didn't get to where you are overnight or in a week or month, so you won't get to where you want to be in those times, either. Just decide that you are worth it. Be patient and kind to yourself. If you are, others will be, too.

Good luck!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

I lost 113 pounds with Weight Watchers. I am now a Lifetime member and still attend meetings weekly. About the time I reached my goal they introduced the Points Plus program and I began to gain weight. It was suggested by someone on the WW Blogs, that I try MFP to see if I could pinpoint what was causing the weight gain. I've been counting calories instead of points ever since.

I always tell people that the first 80 pounds lost was all about learning to eat healthy, portion control, and starting on activity. The last 30+ pounds was (and is) all emotional. In other words, it was at that point I really had to face my issues that got me obese in the first place. I had to learn to deal with emotions without covering them with food. It meant learning a lot about myself, forgiving the people in my life, and letting go of a lot of emotional baggage.

But... to answer your questions...How did I eat? I ate what I wanted. I figured out very quickly that any changes in my diet (food intake) would be for a lifetime so I needed to learn how to have the foods I loved without going overboard. Portion control was key for that. Also finding alternatives for the foods I like (pop chips instead of regular chips, fat free popcorn instead of the butter loaded popcorn, etc), but have the "real" thing when the craving hits.

As for exercise, the first 80 pounds I did very little more than walk and the occasional DVD. Then four years ago I started running. To my surprise (and to my husband and friends surprise), it became my "thing." I run three days a week and I have now completed 9 half marathons. Besides running, I walk, hike, work out to DVD's, do the spin bike, and most recently gave Zumba a try. I am open to trying new activities because I won't know what I like or don't like until I try it.

Good luck on your weight loss! Lots of great advice on here... take what works for you and run with it! :flowerforyou:
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    What did you do?
    Changed my mind-set, first. I decided I wanted to be fit and healthy, not thin. It wasn't about losing weight at all costs. It was about making my body as healthy as I could for the sake of me first and other people second.

How did you eat?
    Reasonably. I probably ate 80-20 most of the time (mostly healthy food, some empty calories).

Generally -
    -No more eating out at lunch except on special occasions; brown bag it.
    - Big breakfast, every day, with protein.
    - I eat all day long. I know there are mixed reviews for this method, but I was never hungry and I like it that way. Three meals, two snacks, one bedtime treat most days.
    - We cook basically everything we eat; virtually nothing comes out of a box. Healthy ingredients, lots of plants.

I eat loads of fat. My typical macros are 30-30-40. With the exception of skimmed dairy (Greek yogurt, sometimes light sour cream), I do not eat diet foods: no fat free salad dressings or "light" butter. No thanks.

I never starved myself. The lowest I got was 1500 and I didn't stay there long. Most of my weight loss was achieved eating 1700-2100 calories a day.

Almost without exception, I plan and pack my food ahead of time. Usually on Sunday I pre-log my entire week. The night before, I pack up all my food for the next day. I rarely deviate from my plan. It's easy to say no to unexpected cookies at work if I know I already have 2,000 calories planned out. Plus, who needs a cookie when you have a snack or meal every few hours?

What kinds of exercise did you do?
    I am nothing if not dedicated in the gym.

Strength training three hours a week from the first month. Free weights - dumbbells and barbells, though sometimes I use the cable cross. I did a lot of circuit training at the beginning, a lot less now that I am maintaining (I don't need that extra calorie burn anymore). Some heavy lifting, some endurance; I vary my weight workouts a lot. My sessions are full body; I don't separate muscle groups. Sometimes I superset, sometimes I split set.

Cardio was 2-3 hours a week, whatever I chose. At the beginning, that meant the elliptical only. Then I progressed to classes. Then I became a runner (and discovered that running is basically the best thing on the planet). I tried to incorporate one HIIT session a week, but didn't sweat it if it was all steady-state.

Cardio and diet burned the fat; strength training made what remains look pretty damn good for losing 135 pounds. I basically love my body.

Gym-time is non-negotiable. For me, exercise is what keeps everything together. It's why I'm maintaining without much effort. It's responsible for keeping me healthy and happy. It is the third most important thing in my life after my family and career. I am able to balance them, and you can too. We ALL have an hour a day to devote to our health, even if it takes a little sacrifice to create it.

My bottom line advice:
    Of course you can do this. You've already started; now all you have to do is not stop. If you feel like quitting, take a day off. But get RIGHT BACK AT IT tomorrow. If you don't quit, you cannot possibly fail. That is basically the only secret to my success...I didn't give up. There are lots of methods to get to the same destination, but all of them require dedication.

My blog has loads of information and photos:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls

This entry might be particularly helpful:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ShannonMpls/view/follow-up-15-months-134-pounds-lost-at-goal-427140
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

1) I am a normal person who eats treats. I ate them the whole time I lost weight. But the thing is? treats are supposed to be occasional! Now I eat them occasionally. That brownie at your church dinner was just fine; log it and enjoy it.

2) Exercise in the way that you enjoy. Screw what is "correct" - I know what works for me; find what works for you. Cardio makes me happy. Lifting weights makes me sexy. I do them both :)