airlines charging by the pound?

Options
I read yesterday that Samoa Airlines is planning to charge their passengers by weight rather than per seat to fly. Rates would be $1.25 per pound for domestic flights and and $2.27 for international flights.

Really, I'm not making this up! Here's a link to the story http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-airlines-says-paybyweight-plan-is-fairest-way-to-fly-20130403,0,6898697.story

So, what do you all think of their decision? Just curious to hear everyone's opinions!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    My family could travel really cheap lol.
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Isn't Samoa where all those beast of football players come out of?? Sounds like Samoans are at a distinct disadvantage....
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing until I read the airline factors in luggage weight! Lol!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I heard this on the radio today. It includes your weight and everything you are bringing, including luggage. I started considering how light I could pack...
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Yes-I believe 80% of the people who live there are overweight to some degree. I guess that's why the airline wants to charge by the pound!
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    I like the idea of it.
    Might just be able to travel cheaper on air travel and that's awesome on the wallet.
    Another good motivation to stay in shape.
  • Driving_Miss_Daisy
    Options
    Well you have to look at the average size of a Samoan. They are not small people by nature and the planes that fly in and out of there are little puddle jumpers. They only fill up with enough gas to make it to the destination for the amount of weight that they have.

Don't forget luggage is included in the weight.

Were I am at, I get weighted when I get on the flight with my baggage and carry on. I don't get charged by it but they need it for fuel. For these small companies a thousand pounds makes a big difference in fuel consumption.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It's rude, but it makes sense. Airplanes burn more fuel the heavier they are, so it makes sense to charge customers accordingly. Still a hard concept to wrap my head around though.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    It will be a long time before major airlines even touch this but lets be real, all airlines are doing now days is transporting you from point A to point B. Of course they should be charging by weight! FedEx and UPS do. We are simply cargo that needs to pee and poop.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It includes your weight and everything you are bringing, including luggage.

That makes sense.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I could fly cheap.