Keep going when you are sore? Or rest?

Options
I have recently really jumped back into exercising... cardio, weights, squat challenge, etc.

My question is my legs are sore. Like hurts when I walk up the stairs sore today... so do I rest my legs and focus on other parts or do I push through the pain? I have always heard "no pain, no gain" but I don't want to get hurt either.

Thoughts???

Replies

• paulajed
    paulajed Posts: 21
    Options
    I am definitely no expert or health nut but I personally ice/take advil-if I still hurt where it is impacting my ability to walk/climb stairs, then I rest. If those measures relieve my pain- I keep going. I do believe in no pain/no gain. I feel like if I am working hard enough, I should be having pain/soreness that I can push through- if I cannot push through it, then I rest.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    If I'm just sore I push through, If I'm in pain I rest.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Maybe ice and a short walk... Take long strides to stretch your legs out! Keep stretching through out the day, but take a day or two off what you have been doing. Could even just do an upper body work out... Different muscles!

Zara
  • dmb0114
    dmb0114 Posts: 49
    Options
    I am definitely no expert or health nut but I personally ice/take advil-if I still hurt where it is impacting my ability to walk/climb stairs, then I rest. If those measures relieve my pain- I keep going. I do believe in no pain/no gain. I feel like if I am working hard enough, I should be having pain/soreness that I can push through- if I cannot push through it, then I rest.

So can you ice the next day? or only immediately after exercising? I did take some ibuprofen and it helped but still very sore.

Thanks for the replies!!
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    Is it a "Ah, hurts so good" kind of sore, or is it more "Holy *kitten*, if I move I might cry" kind of sore? I have done both, and if I feel like I can do a workout properly, i push through, but I usually skip the one that put me in so much pain!
  • dmb0114
    dmb0114 Posts: 49
    Options
    Is it a "Ah, hurts so good" kind of sore, or is it more "Holy *kitten*, if I move I might cry" kind of sore? I have done both, and if I feel like I can do a workout properly, i push through, but I usually skip the one that put me in so much pain!

Without ibuprofen it borders on the "Holy *kitten*"... with ibuprofen... more of a hurts so good. Clear as mud?? ;) So I guess my question is it okay to push through even if I have to take the ibuprofen to keep going? I just don't want to end up injured...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out, don't be afraid to rest a bit between so you don't go from sore to injured. Instead of your workout, maybe a short brisk walk and some dynamic stretches.

If you are not just starting you should be able to work through a bit more, but still make sure to add in some dynamic stretches to warm up.

In any case, you should be able to tell when some thing is getting aggrevated or just sore from use.

Best of luck!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

So can you ice the next day? or only immediately after exercising? I did take some ibuprofen and it helped but still very sore.

Thanks for the replies!!

Actually, pushing through the sore helps believe it or not.

Ice anytime you want in 20 minute intervals. Another thing that helps is a long hot epsom salts bath. I am not talking a cup or two of salt, I am talking a pound of it in the tub. Try air writing (or in this case water writing) the ABC's with your toes while in the water, and do a few stretches while you are in there too.

Last, drink lots of water. And pat yourself on the back. Being sore because you are exercising is a good thing.
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    When I'm really sore I just try to work it out a little. Like stretching, if you feel a bath will help do that. But stretching is usually good for me. Get the blood pumping in your body it helps ease the soreness quicker.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Good kinda hurt = Keep going

Crying in pain wishing you were dead kinda hurt = take a day off
  • paulajed
    Options
    duplicate
  • paulajed
    Options

I ice for up to 24 hours in intervals
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    If it really hurts that bad, focus on something else. If you planned on doing something today, still do so, just do something different. :)
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    as long as your giving that muscle group at least 2 days of recovery its fine to retrain it again. maybe you need to rest more or your undereating and your body is not recovering well, but dont stop training that muscle group just cause your sore
  • srsavaria
    srsavaria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have stopped being sore for about 2 months now!! I don't like taking a day off, and really only do if my schedule gets in the way (kids!!). If just my muscles are sore, I will def. still work out. My knees get pretty sore sometimes, and that's what might get me to take a day off - at least from lower body stuff. Don't risk seriously injuring something just to get a workout in!
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    decrease intensity a bit but keep on truckin, thats what I do. And of course, epsom salt baths, ice and massage.
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    muscle rub before bed and push on.

if that doesn't work then I rest.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I still get sore from my workouts. When your'e starting, take the day off to let your body adjust to the new strain. As it becomes habit, the after workout snoreness should lessen, or you should feel comfortable doing light excercise after. When I do my strength days, I'm sore. I usually just do a run and don't do anymore strength sessions until I feel the pain begin to subside. Just make sure that you don't overtrain from the beginning or else you'll never get into a rhythm.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I went to my trainer on Tuesday and did about 100 squats throughout my workout. By Thursday, I had trouble sitting on the toilet, let alone walking up and down stairs. When I went back to my trainer Thursday night she asked if it hurt or if it was pulled, I said hurt, she said do more squats. By Saturday I was running up and down the stairs again.