Thoughts on bootcamp classes......

Options
I am thinking of changing gyms to take advantage of the free bootcamp classes (currently quite $$ at the gym I go to). This new gym would also be a monthly cheaper rate. But I only want to do it if bootcamp is worth it. I am going to find out if they offer a free try but just thought maybe others have some opinions.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
    ?
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I only did 1 bootcamp class and that was last year. The level was not too high and I found it easier than I thought it would be. So maybe trying 1 before signing on the dotted line would be a good idea
    In general I find classes are good because you will "compete" against others, I don't mean that in a bad way, but if you see other people training harder than you do it will encourage you to push yourself more (it is the way it works for me). Also like any class you take part, you usually will have a laugh which makes training a nice social activity.
    If on the top of that you are saving money, why not
    JC
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to say if it would be worth the money or not. Bootcamp classes are very subjective - they depend on the instructor. There is no set standard for what a boot camp class should entail or not (not like Zumba or Les Mills classes where the content is already provided) so instructors create there own.

It could be great or it could be horrible.

My advice? Take a sample class to see if you would like it.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I am going to try it. A male coworker suggested it and said it is great and really whoops your butt. Thanks!!
  • aquilabean
    Options
    I LOVE Bootcamp Challenge! I'm in my 2nd 6 week session now. I've had some pretty fantastic results (or at least I think they are fantastic!) Is that what they are offering? If so, DO IT!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    In my experience most bootcamps are really great workouts. They will vary a lot in style and structure so it's a good idea to try it out to mke sure it fits your goals and personality. A good instructor is key though. Have a look around and make sure that people are doing the exercises with good form, a bad instructor won't bother to correct form. A good instructor will also be able to cater to a large difference in fitness levels so that everyone is pushing themselves and getting an awesome workout but no one feels left out because they can't do something
  • psychjp
    psychjp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I go to a boot camp style class that I LOVE! I have an awesome instructor who really works to make sure that everyone is in proper form and always mixes things up so you're never bored. I would try it out.
  • Aymzc
    Aymzc Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I go to a class called military fitness circuits and its brilliant. every week its completely different so it's not boring. The class incorporates cardio,abs,weights,loads of squats! The instructor works you hard its the only class Ive stuck to as I enjoy it so much :)
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Check with the new gym to find out if they offer a week trial or something similar. As others have said, every bootcamp class is going to be different. There is no set standard so it will vary on the instructor. As find out if they have it offered by different instructors so that you can check out the style of each one.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i love bootcamp. i never work out harder than when i am at bootcamp.
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love bootcamp. I burn about a bajillion calories per session. I've had awesome instructors and some who were boring. Also, some classes with lots of cameraderie and some with people who were not so chatty. I def recommend the trial week to see if it's the right fit for you.