Choosing exercise...

Options
anu_6986
anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
I joined this site a few weeks ago, but have been strictly watching my calorie intake only for 2-3 weeks now.

I have started off with walking for now. Walk 5-6km/3-3.5miles per day. I feel I should be doing more.
I considered joining a gym, but I feel I will discontinue after a while. And last time I did that, I gained 2 bulges on either sides. So I wanna avoid that.

I see everyone's posts about Turbo jam, P90X, Jillian's programs, Chalean Extreme. I am not sure which I should be doing...

Please help me with choosing the exercises, I am willing to combine multiple workouts at the same time. Also tell me what all equipment I would need to follow it.

BTW i weigh 180.7 pounds at present.

-Anu

Replies

• karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Zumba. I bought the DVD's and do them @ home so I can be there for the kiddos and chores!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    HI Anu!
    I would hold off on P90X until you are more used to intense exercise. I haven't done the Chalean Extreme, but from what I understand that one is along the more intense route. Jillians 30day shred would be a great place to start. It is challenging, but not so much that a new comer to fitness won't be able to handle it. I think you are doing great with the walking and I would keep that up with whatever else you choose. You can also find many workout Dvd's at the library, on the net (like www.bodyrock.tv) or even on exercisetv. Play around, try out different things until you find something you *like* :laugh: Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I walk also and just started the couch to 5k program. It helps you build up to running and after the program you should be able to run a 5k. Burns more calories than walking but it is still free, which I like. :flowerforyou: Yesterday was my day one and on day one you run 60 seconds then walk 90 seconds and repeat until you have gone 20-30 mins. After that I just finished my normal loop walking.
    Good luck!
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred is fab! and you will find plenty of groups on here who are taking on the challenge together. You can purchase it from Amazon for a reasonable price. I paid £5! BARGAIN! Congrats on your decision to get fitter and healthier! :flowerforyou:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It all kind of depends on what you like to do. Do you enjoy dancing? Do you like super intense workouts? Boxing? Resistance? Slow, flexibility stuff? High impact? Low impact?

Decide what you enjoy doing and build from there. You'll be more apt to do your workouts when they are fun to you :flowerforyou:
  • anu_6986
    Options
    Thanks for your support everyone! :heart: :flowerforyou:

I have decided I will go with the 30 day shred and also incorporate Couch to 5k in my walking schedule. Running instead of walking should be definitely better :drinker:
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It looks as though you've already made a decision, but I wanted to add that ChaLean Extreme is a FANTASTIC program. I love how the strength training workouts change from month to month, and the cardio workouts are really good. Everything in the cardio workouts are modifiable, so those modifications are always a possibility should the exerciser need them.

I, too, used to do the 30-day shred workouts, but I found that I got quite bored with them rather quickly. Because you change things up daily with ChaLean Extreme, and then change them up again every 30 days, I never got into that boredom rut and am ready to start a 2nd 90-day round of the program.
  • ardaniels0417
    Options
    You sound alot like me. I started with doing Pilates by Gin Miller DVD and bar combination(you can buy it at Walmart) 20.00. I did that about 3-4 times a week for about a month or so. Then I switched to power walking. Before It got so hott I would do 3-3.5 miles 3 times a week. Since March Ive lost 18 pounds. I eat good stuff and I continually lose weight,every week!!! I havent been excersing for about a month now because it so darn hott, but Im still losing lbs. The DVD is worth a try, its not intense like that crazy Jillian. Im really not into that, plus I wont do it for long if I hate it. The DVD is relatively easy and quick and you definately feel it in your middle area. Every excercise is focused on your middle. Give it a try see how you like it. Let me know if you like it...
  • anu_6986
    Options
    Thanks for your ideas everyone. I realize that I get bored with a workout easily, So I am planning to take all your ideas and keep rotating my exercises, depending on if its 30 days or 90 days or I will do a each exercise till I get bored :) and come back to it later

Thanks a ton, :heart:
    Anu
  • anu_6986
    Options
    You sound alot like me. I started with doing Pilates by Gin Miller DVD and bar combination(you can buy it at Walmart) 20.00. I did that about 3-4 times a week for about a month or so. Then I switched to power walking. Before It got so hott I would do 3-3.5 miles 3 times a week. Since March Ive lost 18 pounds. I eat good stuff and I continually lose weight,every week!!! I havent been excersing for about a month now because it so darn hott, but Im still losing lbs. The DVD is worth a try, its not intense like that crazy Jillian. Im really not into that, plus I wont do it for long if I hate it. The DVD is relatively easy and quick and you definately feel it in your middle area. Every excercise is focused on your middle. Give it a try see how you like it. Let me know if you like it...

Hi ardaniels, I am thinking I will get this dvd and give it a try. I am gonna be mix & matching all the workouts I think.

Thanks for your advice,
    Anu
  • anu_6986
    Options
    It looks as though you've already made a decision, but I wanted to add that ChaLean Extreme is a FANTASTIC program. I love how the strength training workouts change from month to month, and the cardio workouts are really good. Everything in the cardio workouts are modifiable, so those modifications are always a possibility should the exerciser need them.

I, too, used to do the 30-day shred workouts, but I found that I got quite bored with them rather quickly. Because you change things up daily with ChaLean Extreme, and then change them up again every 30 days, I never got into that boredom rut and am ready to start a 2nd 90-day round of the program.

hi glfprncs2, I got the CE dvd, I am not sure if I am there yet, to do such an intensive workout. But I am thinking I will finish the 30 day shred and maybe start this.

Thanks so much for your advice,
    Anu
  • jandv1991
    jandv1991 Posts: 19
    Options
    Looks like you got a lot of great ideas here. I lost 80 pounds just by watching my calories / fat and walking 2 or 3 miles a day. It took me 2 years and have kept it off. Now I am doing P90x - I agree that if you are not into the Intense Insane type of workout start with the P90 or another lower intense but just as effective work out.
    Just remember : "Do your best and forget the rest" Tony Horton

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Jen
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I found most of my DVDs from yard sales! Ppl (like me:blushing: ) buy them and never use them.

Mixing it up will not only keep you from getting bored, it will confuse your body and you won't go into plateau as easily!

I love the c25k program and bought one for a few dollars on my Ipod that works with MY music......which is super important to me. I cannot run right now, but I am going to use it as interval training.

In the beginning I bought a couple 5 lb weights that I left in a high traffic area (on the end table by my bedroom door and bathroom mirror) Each time I passed them I gave it 10 pumps on each arm! Maybe 10 for tricep too! LOL...

Your doing a great job............keep up the good work:drinker:

~jeannie
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Looks like you got a lot of great ideas here. I lost 80 pounds just by watching my calories / fat and walking 2 or 3 miles a day. It took me 2 years and have kept it off. Now I am doing P90x - I agree that if you are not into the Intense Insane type of workout start with the P90 or another lower intense but just as effective work out.
    Just remember : "Do your best and forget the rest" Tony Horton

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Jen

Jen I just saw your b/a pictures and :noway: great job!!