Replies

• Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mghp8hcc0N1qb9pa3o1_500.gif
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Yes! Second hand shops. I had never shopped in a second hand shop until the year I spent losing weight. I spent most of the year between sizes and frustrated that nothing fit. A friend of mine suggested I explore seconds shops. I didn't have pre-conceived ideas of what I'd find or what to expect. After a couple of times I was hooked! People throw name brand and designer clothing away and often it is new or nearly new! It can be hit or miss, but my hits are so worth it. I will never pay $40 for a pair of pants again when I can spend $4. I'm pocketing the savings as a vacation fund.

Something like 80% of clothes end up in a landfill. Second hand shopping promotes "Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle" and that's important to me.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I would hit the spring and summer garage sales and shop thrift stores. Maybe go to the thrift stores closer to the ritzier neighborhoods if you live in a metro area. My sister in law has found some awesome deals doing that.
  • hairsprayhon
    hairsprayhon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Consignment shops allowed me to go through the sizes and have temporary clothes that fit. You may need to check some out to find the one that has your size and style. Now that I am a size 14 and will be staying this size at goal, I am willing to get some things altered. I didn't want to pay that for a temporary size. I also have found wonderful things at the Goodwill stores. Another source, the hospitals around here have fundraising sales of donated clothes and they can also have great finds. eBay is usually a bit more expensive, but if you only search your size and pre owned you can find some nice things, still cheaper than new.
    Getting too small for your clothes is great!!! But it is important to find things that fit during your progress, it is mentally not good to be wearing clothes that are too big.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Goodwill and thrift shops are best for that sort of thing.

This! I replaced my clothes each time I entered a new size. Kept me moving forward, you don't wanna let yourself slide backwards, and it's easier to do if you have bigger sized clothing to wear.
  • CupcakeConnection
    Options
    Not sure where you are located... However, I am in California and on Meet Up .com you can join a clothes exchange. It's where girls around the same age meet up once a month and bring clothes from their closet and have an exchange party. The clothes are usually things like work clothes. It specifies the clothing types / rules on the website. If you can't find a group in your area you could start one! Good Luck!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    most dry cleaners have a tailor on site. I pay about $12 to have pants taken in.

should be able to get a new pair of pants at tjmaxx or marshalls for that.

This. Ross, TJMaxx, and Marshalls have been a lifesaver. Kohl's is pretty cheap if you get a great sale or a coupon. My Mom is pretty awesome too. She's been having a blast buying me clothes in smaller sizes. Yeah, they aren't exactly my taste but I appreciate the support and each box I get in the mail has stuff that's useful.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I bought a belt. Luckily most of my shirts are not yet too big. I've always had big tatas. The pants on the other hand were starting to look like hip hop saggy pants before the belt. Good luck! I normally buy my pants at Sam's Club so they're only around $14 but I didn't want to be spending $60 every few months on clothes since I prefer to spend my money on other things.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Thrift shops!! I mean come on by the time you turn around after buy new clothes your going to need new clothes again because your burning that fat away!! :), so easy and they wash everything too before they sell them, so nothing nasty or WAY used will ever be seen. So just have fun and carry on loosing!!
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat not that long ago, I entered a weight loss challenge with the hope of working my *kitten* off to win (which I did) so I could pay for new clothes. We are going on a trip in 5 weeks (gift from my inlaws) and I had not a single piece of clothing that fit.

So I hit of the thrift stores, local for sale sites (kijiji) and hit the sales. I got a ton of clothes from Old Navy two weeks ago because they had an amazing sale for very little (tank tops for $5 and dresses for under $20). All in all for well under $150 I got a ton of new clothes, that and I am getting a friend of mine to take in one dress and two skirts so I can make my clothes stretch.

I love that I need all new clothes, and would love to be able to go get them because hey its fun now but I cannot afford it.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Target has a huge selection of well priced and stylish clothing.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I went to Goodwill when I wasn't done loosing, but stuff was hanging off of me. OK.. so you have to search thru a lot of JUNK, but I got a few pairs of pants that held me over. And the prices are better off.

I probably bought too much stuff brand new that now that stuff is too big.

Or maybe find a church clothes closet that you can go to. Our church does one. Not sure what qualifications you'd have to have.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Is there a Swap and Sell (or something like it) for your region on Facebook? I have no clothes either so I posted my old stuff there for sale and am starting to get a bit of cash back to buy new stuff :) Kijiji or Craigslist might work for selling the old items too :)
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love the thrift shop. I got some really great clothes for cheap. I like to buy the next size down to help me visualize my goals a little better.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. It is very good but very bad!

Along with shopping at thrift stores and consignment shops I highly recommend taking your best too-big things to sell at consignment. It will give you some money to buy new, smaller clothes. I have a growing bag of nice things I will be taking to consignment soon. I have never had much luck at thrift stores and generally do better shopping clearance racks at Dillard's and similar stores.

If you have something very special I would look into getting it taken in but it depends on the value of the item whether it would be worth it.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm all about consignment shops and Goodwill. We have a few consignment shops in the nicer area where you can get things cheaper, and our Goodwill is actually amazing - name brand dress pants, still with tags, for like $5 a pair. That's where I'm getting all my clothes from here on out until I am near the end of this journey!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You say you suck at sewing...well good news! It takes very little practice to get at least decent at it. Really, it's not hard. Give it a try, it's actually pretty fun.
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Where I live, we have a local "trading post" that is based on Facebook. People post items they want to sell and you just meet up at the local Target parking lot (or wherever you decide) to buy it from them. Very very very rarely is there an issue with buyer beware because almost everyone on there knows somebody that knows you. I'm selling some of my too big clothes on there and using the money to buy smaller sizes from people. You may want to see if there is something similar in your area.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Ask your friends! I got a ton of clothes from my sister and my friends. You never know what's lurking in the back of someone's closet! You can always return them when they get too big :)
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Check out your local thrift stores. I can go to mine and buy a few pairs of pants and a couple of shirts for about $30... less on a good sale day.