Banana Smoothies/Shakes?

Options
I love me some banana.... flavor. I hate the fruit alone, but when put with peanut butter or in a shake it's probably my favorite fruit of all. I know bananas have a bunch of sugars and such but I was wondering if ya'll have any good recipes that would include throwing the banana in a blender with some other tasty ingredients?

As of right now I'm just looking for low-calorie recipes.

I did find one that looked like this:

1 Large Ripe Banana
2 Tbs. Peter Pan Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 Cup Whole Milk

I know some of you are screaming alternatives in your head, but unfortunately I'm new to all this healthy replacement stuff. What could I do to make the calories in the above recipe disappear? (It's like 400 cals)

Replies

• mamabrowneyes
    mamabrowneyes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is very high in calories. It's a pretty healthy fat, but to reduce the calories and fat in it, I would suggest to cut it to 1 tbsp., and to use skim or 1% milk.. Would probably reduce close to 150 cals. Just a thought. I make smoothies in my magic bullet, maybe I'll try this.
  • McManda89
    McManda89 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks!! I will def. try a different milk. I've had Almond Milk in cereal and it tastes just the same to me, so maybe even using that would help the calories a little as well.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hmm, maybe try a banana flavoured protein powder instead? Maybe try replacing the PB with nuts or something, too. Or cut it down to only 1tbs. You could also try almond milk instead of milk....
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I've been switching between two banana smoothies.

1 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup coconut water
    1 tsp maca powder
    1 tbsp flax meal
    1 banana
    4 ice cubes

I then add either:
    1 cup frozen fruit (mango, strawberries, whatever you have lying around)

OR

2 tablespoons cacao powder

The one with cacao powder is 291 calories, and the one with frozen fruit is 243 calories PLUS whatever fruit you add.
    Mango chunks are 93 calories per cup, peaches would be 60 calories, and so on.

The one with cacao powder is so chocolatey and yummy and I love it!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I drink this almost every day and it's totally yummy, low cal, and nutritious as *kitten*.

One cup unsweetened almond milk
    Half frozen banana
    4 medium frozen strawberries
    One cup kale, frozen
    One scoop vanilla protein powder
    (optional) tablespoon peanut butter or coconut oil
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    I don't like bananas, but my boyfriend loves making shakes post-workout!

He uses:
    1 cup of almond milk
    1 banana
    About 3-4 strawberries
    And a scoop of whey protein (we use the envy lab whey)

I would say that first recipe sounds good, but if you want it to be low calorie, definitely cut down the amount of peanut butter and use 1%, skim, or almond milk :)
  • Mochila09
    Mochila09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use half a banana (love them, too!), vanilla protein powder and a cup of almond milk. 180 calories. I recently bought some PB2 (powdered peanut butter with the fat removed: 45 calories for 2 tbl), and add that. It tastes great in the smoothie-not sure if I'd use it as actual peanut butter, though! Most days I also add spinach or kale. The spinach doesn't really alter the flavor; the kale's a little stronger.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you freeze your bananas (peel it, then freeze it) It make a big difference in the thickness of your shake! :)
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I also suggest almond milk, but that's just because I love the stuff. Try different nut butters, too. Almond, hazelnut, etc. or a more natural peanut butter. I say this, not for calories/health reasons, they're just more delicious.

This site has some great shake recipes: http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/beverages/smoothies-beverages/
  • ordnaj3la1
    ordnaj3la1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Seems like you love peanut butter, I feel you, it's amazing! There's this thing called PB2, next time you go to your supermarket check if they have it! Or you could order it online. It's powedered peanut butter, I put it in shakes or whatever to add that peanut butter taste to it without all the calories, it cuts down the calorie count by a lot. So,

1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 banana
    2 tbsp PB2
    4 ice cubes

Depending on the size of the banana, the calories will vary, but I doubt it will go over 200. Enjoy!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I do the following:

.50 banana
    1 Tablespoon peanut butter
    3 ice cubes
    1 cup almond milk(unsweet vanilla is 30 cals per cup)
    .50 scoop chocolate whey powder
    OR 1 pack sugar free chocolate instant breakfast

This is not too bad on the calories because almond milk is 30 per cup and the instant breakfast is 63 per pack and it is filling and tastes great.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    1 small banana
    100g natural greek yoghurt
    1 tablespoon natural protein powder
    100ml milk
    10 almonds

323 calories, 37g carbs, 8g fat, 27g protein

I wouldn't suggest having this every day, as the sugar content is quite high, but it's a great high protein, filling, fast breakfast!
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    For dinner the other night I had:

1C Milk
    1/2 banana
    1TBS PB
    1 TBS Chocolate syrup
    1 scoop Protein powder
    2 TBS Flax seed

My usual is:

Mixed frozen berries
    Banana
    OJ
    Ice
    Protein powder
    Flax seed
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I love me some banana.... flavor. I hate the fruit alone, but when put with peanut butter or in a shake it's probably my favorite fruit of all. I know bananas have a bunch of sugars and such but I was wondering if ya'll have any good recipes that would include throwing the banana in a blender with some other tasty ingredients?

As of right now I'm just looking for low-calorie recipes.

I did find one that looked like this:

1 Large Ripe Banana
    2 Tbs. Peter Pan Extra Crunchy Peanut Butter
    1 Cup Whole Milk

I know some of you are screaming alternatives in your head, but unfortunately I'm new to all this healthy replacement stuff. What could I do to make the calories in the above recipe disappear? (It's like 400 cals)

add some Dannon lite vanilla yogurt and use almond milk instead, plus add a dash or two of chocolate syrup.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    1 frozen banana
    1 c unsweetened almond milk
    1 serving protein powder

Super yummy! I add in other random stuff too, but thats my base.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    This is my current favorite smoothie, throw it into the blender have for breakfast and your set for lunch. I haven't been getting hungry for my mid morning snack so I stopped bringing one when I have a smoothie for breakfast...

Anyway the recipe is:

1 big handfull of baby spinach
    1 med-large banana
    1 tbsp chia seeds
    2 tbsp ground flaxseed
    8oz water
    optional:
    vanilla protein powder- I use teraswhey
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tbsp coconut oil

Enjoy!
  • FitWithTiff
    Options
    1 scoop of chocolate Shakeology
    1 cup (8oz) of silk brand unsweetened almond milk
    2 tablespoons of PB2
    1 frozen banana
    6 Ice cubes

:)) 285 cals
  • ande1560
    ande1560 Posts: 12
    Options
    Banana walnut shake!

1 banana
    Small handful of walnuts
    Vanilla protein powder
    Water and ice (sometimes milk, but honestly the water makes it taste fine, too)

It tastes like banana walnut bread to me!
  • angel_bear60
    angel_bear60 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i have every morning the following shake
    1 frozen banana
    1/2 c frozen blueberries
    1c milk of choice (2%, skim, almond, soy, rice
    2Tbl flax seed
    100 calorie protein powder
    mix in blender til combined.

you can use any fruit combination that you like. i use frozen fruit so i don't use the ice cubes which water down the shake.

been thinking of changing to whey protein but have found out that whey protein is for body building and if you don't consistently exercise, whey protein turns into fat
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Wow some great comments here. I'm opening a smoothie shop in the Dallas area and will be taking all your comments into consideration.

If anyone is interested check out Facebook.com/KamaganaSmoothies. LIKE our page and post your favorite smoothie ideas.