pre-diabetes

Options
natalieterkildsen
natalieterkildsen Posts: 1 Member
I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes yesterday. The doctor wants me to eat 120 grams of protein a day and minimize the amount of carbohydrates I intake. I was also diagnosed with intracellular hypothyroidism. Are there any natural ways that I can treat this? Any suggestions?

Replies

• cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat low carb. When you do consume carbs (preferably in small amounts and whole grain), have something with lemon juice or vinegar on it (like a salad) at the same meal to minimize blood sugar spikes. Cinnamon is also known to keep blood sugar level, so use it wherever you can (coffee, tea, on apples, etc.). Cook with it when you can. It's good in Indian-style foods.

Your carbs should be mostly coming from vegetables. Be aware of the sugar content of different fruits. One fruit per day should be fine. Dairy is also surprisingly high in carbs, so limit that. Greek yogurt is not a bad choice...low in lactose (milk sugar) and twice as much protein as other yogurts.

Also, do NOT replace dairy with soy milk...research is showing that it may be implicated in hypothyroidism, so I wouldn't touch the stuff.

Lots of veggies, lean proteins, and add healthy fats (olive oil, virgin coconut oil). You need some fat to keep you from getting hungry too quickly.

Diabetes runs in my family, and I'm trying to avoid it.
  • Bejede
    Bejede Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump--same here.
  • pittcurl
    pittcurl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Exactly what Cidalia says... January 2012 I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes (totally skipped the pre-diabetic phase). I have dedicated myself to watching all that I ate, learned altertatives, and exercised a lot. I have lost about 50lbs and to this day my Dr says she can't believe how fast all my blood work has changed. I'm only on Metphormin which was lowered. It's always essencial to monitor what you are consuming every day. Keep searching on here for different recipes. My favorite alternative meal is cauliflower crust pizza. Even looking at different Adkins diet recipes helps. Just remember you can do it!!! Reverse before it's too late. Remember to exercise with this too. This year I'll be doing my first Tour De Cure (bike ride to help diabetes) and last year at this time I got winded with just a 5 mile ride (which took an hour)- now I'm doing 10 miles in 40 minutes and still smiling.
    You can do it!!!!
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    I have the same dilemma, I also have diabetes and I am reducing its effects with a good healthy diet.

Getting on the Paleo diet really helped a lot, maybe even more than my medication because I barely had the troubles that I used to way back when I wasn't even eating healthy.

http://cooklikeacaveman.com/paleo-cookbook-review/
  • jmsladky
    jmsladky Posts: 46
    Options
    Not being nosy, but do you mind telling me what your blood sugar level is? I am in the same boat and wanted to know if mine is really high or not?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes yesterday. The doctor wants me to eat 120 grams of protein a day and minimize the amount of carbohydrates I intake. I was also diagnosed with intracellular hypothyroidism. Are there any natural ways that I can treat this? Any suggestions?
    Consult a registered dietician (not a "nutritionist"). An RD can help.
  • NYFAN07
    NYFAN07 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I overheard my uncle (whos a PT and RD) the other day telling a client (whos also pre-diabetic) to cut down on carbs and start working out on a regular basis. If you do both, you wont become a diabetic
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Do some research on the primal diet. I recommend marksdailyapple.com for LOADS of information plus they have a message board if you have questions or whatever. For recipes, I LOVE civilizedcookingcreations.com & paleomg.com
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have hyperinsulin, so I feel we are very similar. At the very least, eliminate or reduce all high-gi foods. Foods which are "white" in color typically fall in this suggestion. I.e. sugar, high fructose corn syrup, white bread, potatoes, ketchup, etc.

I suggest researching the Dysglycemia Diet, which is a lower carb Mediterranean-style diet or other lower carb diets (i.e. Primal, Paleo, the Zone, etc.). I prefer the recommendations from Primal as I prefer eating vegetables over anything else.

By lower carb, I am inferring 1 gram per body weight, not the extremely low carb based diets. Also, I suggest start working out and walk for 20 minutes before each meal. The 5x5 strength building program is a great beginner's program.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Not being nosy, but do you mind telling me what your blood sugar level is? I am in the same boat and wanted to know if mine is really high or not?

My MD is very anal about guidelines (and that is all they are) and diagnosed me as pre-diabetic at 126 (based one one fasting blood sugar test), guideline is 90-125. Really should have a bit more information to get an accurate diagnosis like; repeat blood sugar level, consider stress levels and recent changes in lifestyle, etc. Losing weight and adding exercise to my daily living has completely eliminated that diagnosis