Ladies doing stronglifts - do you also do cardio?

Options
I recently started the stronglifts program to change up my workout routine, build strength and loose my last 10 pounds. I really enjoy doing cardio exercises as well and don't want to completely eliminate them from my workout routine. Are there any ladies who have had success in losing their last bit of weight with stronglifts while continuing to do cardio? I don't want to be counterproductive with keeping some cardio in my routine and really do want to focus on building strength because I think this will help me get to my goal weight/body fat %. My workout routine is as follows:

Monday: Kickboxing class
Tuesday: Stronglifts
Wednesday: light cardio or rest (depending on my work schedule)
Thursday: Stronglifts
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Stronglifts
Sunday: Spinning

Is this too much cardio to see significant gains in strength or will it help with losing fat?

Replies

• Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not doing hours of cardio on weight training days, you will be fine. I usually do a quick 10 minute cool down run on my weight training days and try to get out for a 5k on my non-weight training days and it hasn't seemed to effect my weight training gains. You could also look at doing HIIT as that will not be as counter productive to the weight training since you are using similar muscles. But 30-45 minutes of cardio on off days isn't going to hurt anything.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Meh, I lift then do HIIT or play competitive soccer.. I don't see anything wrong with doing this.. just make sure to get in some protein post workout. It really depends on your goals, for me it works..
  • Blondie251975
    Blondie251975 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I still have lots of weight to lose, so I can't answer your question specifically, but I am consistently losing weight with cardio every day, and stronglifts 3x per week or so. STRONG = AWESOME!
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I am nowhere NEAR close to goal, just barely over half way, but I usually lift 2 days a week, and am in the pool 2 or 3, depending on if I can make it to campus while the pool's open on Saturday or Sunday. And, I am seeing some NICE weight drops still. (Of course, that could be because I'm also having trouble getting my calories to stack up to the burns too!)
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • puppy_amor
    puppy_amor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I think I will continue with this routine until the weights from stronglifts gets too tough to continue.
  • _namaste_
    _namaste_ Posts: 246
    Options
    Great post, subbing for more answers. I just started stronglifts today and about 6 hours later went out for a 2 hour walk (this always helps to alleviate DOMS next day for me) but it got me wondering. :)