Items to get

Options
I am just starting and know nothing about eating right. I don't like anything fancy. Can someone give me some tips on what to get at the food store? I have two little kids so getting things on the table fast works the best.

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Where to start! Well, just shop the outer ring of the grocery store, stay away from the deli processed meats, and don't buy those salads from the deli either. Eating healthfully doesn't always equate with convenience, so plan ahead. Recipes on cookinglight.com are great, do some internet searching for fast kid friendly healthy recipes and you should be okay.
  • ddoolittle
    ddoolittle Posts: 21
    Options
    Plan ahead is definitely the key for sure! I find the shopping works best when I plan a few days or week at a time. That way you can plan for grilled chicken, steamed veggie and rice on night one, and night two you could use leftovers and add to it for a nice chix stir fry.

My 'always in the frig' items for quick fixes are bags of pre-washed lettuce to easily make a salad (watch your dressing labels!), greek yougurt 0% (high in protein low cal), orrowheat sandwich thins and frozen turkey burgers (you can throw these on the grill for a fast high protein meal).

Good luck! Nutrition is the key to a successful weight loss journey so you're on the right track!
  • MandyKayFrench
    MandyKayFrench Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have found the most important thing is two-fold - planning, like they said, and keeping the healthy foods that you LIKE readily available.

I buy all the fixin's for a salad and make a big bowl once a week. Then every day I can just dip a portion out, put it in a ziploc and take it to work for lunch. Also, frozen turkey burgers are definitely a must-have - the Jenni O kind are relatively low cal AND low sodium. One of my favorite snacks is the Yoplait Greek Yogurt (Honey Vanilla) with one serving of thawed frozen fruit mixed in. With peaches it tastes to me like peaches-n-cream! Who doesn't want dessert for a mid-morning snack?!?

With kids - I don't have kids but my husband is incredibly picky and I have often had to prepare my own food separate from his. Be prepared and willing to do that - you are worth it and your efforts are important! Sometimes its as simple as I'll make him a quesadilla and I have a taco salad - so some of the ingredients are the same, but mine is full of lettuce and his is just full of cheese. :smile:

ALSO - my biggest tip, get a water bottle you can carry around with you and really do work on drinking a TON. As you exercise, it helps to keep you hydrated and it helps to keep you from snacking!! And use MFP - it really does work to keep you on track and focused on your goals!

Good luck!
  • tacey21
    tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just went through the whole shopping ordeal... there was nothing in my house so I basically had to start from scratch. Here's what I got:

* Eggs (or egg substitute)
    * Fat-free Parmesan cheese
    * Fresh fruit
    * Green onions
    * Jar of minced garlic
    * Low-fat shredded cheese
    * Low-fat yogurt
    * Low-sodium soy sauce
    * Pre-washed and sliced veggies
    * Ready-to-eat salad bags
    * Reduced-calorie margarine
    * Fat-free milk

In your freezer:

* Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    * Frozen pasta such as tortellini or ravioli
    * Frozen vegetables
    * Frozen yogurt
    * Lean meat and pork
    * Leftovers!
    * Salad-size shrimp

Tuna
    Pickles
    fat free mayo
    cottage cheese
    canned pineapple
    green tea
    cooking spray
    fat free cream cheese
    tortillas
    grapes
    popsicles, yogurt pop
    fat free cream of mushroom soup
    fat free cream of chicken soup
    fat free chicken broth
    fat free sour cream

Thats the basic stuff in a lot of low cal fat free recipes.

Again... I was starting from scratch... i know thats a lot of stuff. (top half of shopping list i got from WW :)

Edit:
    My shopping day was also my preparation day... I cut all my veggies, portioned all my dips/yogurts, cooked all of what I was going to eat and havent had to take time out of my schedule to prep :) So it is very easy when all you have to do is reheat something from the freezer.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Yup planning is a big deal. I know the weeks I slack on the planning are the weeks I eat out and don't do as well. Also, the suggestion of staying the grocery perimeter is good. The middle is where all the processed junk is (and where your kids will be more apt to be like "MOM! I WANT THIS!" and it's just a shiny box of sugar).

I've found there are healthy convenience items, however. The produce area most likely will already have bags/packs of cut up veggies & fruits if you are in a pinch, but you'll definitely $pay$ for it! The grocers near me also have rotisserie chickens which I have found are great last minute (rip off the skin and you're good). But that's just if you don't have what you need or are running late.

I try to keep good stuff on hand: whole wheat pasta (for the bf, I can't eat wheat, so quinoa pasta for me), wild or brown rice, fresh veggies (romaine lettuce or spinach, carrots, asparagus, broccoli, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash), and I'll stock up on good meats n freeze them. I've kept some of the Morning Star Farms soy crumbles in the freezer too for a super quick protein boost to things like pasta. The veggies can be cooked quickly by steaming or doing a stir fry (spaghetti squash you just roast in oven so that doesn't require a lot of attention). Make extra and freeze it so you can just grab it out when you go to work or for another night when you don't have time. Also, you can get the kids in on things if they are old enough so you don't have the whole burden, and they learn healthy eating! If you want more things to get, just search some recipes or look in the recipe section on here for good things to have. Basically, if it looks like real food from the earth, you're prolly good. :)

It's a lifestyle change we all have to get used to, but it is soooo worth it.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm always planning ahead for each week.

Basic stuff I make sure I always have:

Onions, Garlic, Lemons, Eggs, Rice, Pasta, Lentils, Tinned chopped tomatoes, Frozen peas / sweetcorn, John West tinned tuna chunks in Brine, Stock cubes/broth/Swiss Vegetable Bouillon, Dried Spices/Herbs, Dairy free Sunflower Margarine Spread.
    (I don't use ANY salt in anything I make except for cleaning/washing meats with warm water)

My usual weekly shopping usually consists of lots of fresh vegetables varying from: asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, baby potatoes and many others which I use for casseroles, curries, or quick stir frys.

And of course fresh fruit. I make sure there's always bananas in the house! And any other fresh fruit I can get my hands on for daily desserts or snacks.

For lunches lots of ingredients for salads with a little drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and maybe a sprinkle of pine nuts.

When it comes to meats, I always stick to chicken or turkey; minced or fillets as red meat are VERY calorific (and not so great on my high blood pressure)

And I always try and get lots of fish fillets- well...bags of fish to stick in the freezer and defrost whenever needed, same with the meats. - Salmon, Cod, Sole usually.

For snacks, I stock up on nutty/fruit bars, fruit yogurts that are less than 100 calories
    Raw Almonds, dried prunes, (my favourite) -> yogurt coated peanuts & raisins.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Bumpity Bump Bump:wink: ...saw someone ask this very thing the other day...hope it helps someone! :flowerforyou:
  • bhonniered
    Options
    Bumpity Bump Bump:wink: ...saw someone ask this very thing the other day...hope it helps someone! :flowerforyou:

Thanks - it was helpful to me!
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    In an effort to plan ahead, I let each of my children have 1 night a week that they can choose dinner. Each month I sit down and fill out a calendar with our dinner plans, then I look and try to see how I can make them healthier (at least for me). For example: When my daughter wanted burritos, I made sure we had low-fat beans and wheat tortilla. Another tip that I use is: if sugar is higher than # 5 on the list of ingredients, don't eat it.
  • merguson
    merguson Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My list consists of the following most often,

yogurt cups
    granola
    1% milk
    whole wheat bread
    weight watchers tortilla
    tuna
    turkey
    low cal herb and garlic cream cheese
    snap peas
    cucumbers
    low cal ranch dressing
    low cal italian dressing
    romaine lettuce
    field green salad mix
    chicken
    extra lean ground beef
    low cal margarine
    broccoli slaw in a bag add my own dressing
    apples
    grapes
    oranges
    pineapple
    raspberries

I eat breakfast and lunch on my own. (work) My hubby usually makes dinner for the family so not always low cal or as healthy as i might like, but that's when I watch my portion size. I may just add more salad to my plate than my kids do.
    Or pick the lowest/healthiest food and pile up on that.