Tabata anyone?

Options
Does anyone else do Tabata? If so, what exercises do you use?? I'm looking for more cardio stuff and I'm sick of jump rope, burpees and box jumps....

Replies

• gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    I do tabata on a spin bike and with running outside.

Spin bike: 10 sec max (your max) resistance sprint standing, 10 sec same resistance sprint sitting, 10 sec low resistance sitting recovery.
    Running: 20 sprint, 10 walk. To make it harder, find a hill and sprint up 20 sec then walk down (20 sec sprint uphill tends to equal 10 sec downhill so you cover the same ground over and over).
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My trainer sometimes uses are whole 30min session for tabata. She has me throw punches, do pushups (varying hand positions), mountain climbers, squats (with weight), sprints, situps (varying leg positions), heavy lifting.
  • hballack
    hballack Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use the bike at the gym with the "seconds" app for iphone. It is working pretty well since I can sit on the bike during rest.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I do tabata rounds on the heavy bag.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I did Tabata yesterday for 30 minutes. The trainer had me do surf jumps, jump kicks, bicycles, mountain climbers, bounce squats, pulse planks, and crunches.

I was crawling by the end. LOVED it!
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    One of the spin instructors at the gym incorporates them into the class. We usually do three sets during the hour. I love it. Other than that, I got nothin' new for you.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    kettle bell swings.
  • slomeli79
    slomeli79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The most effective tabata exercises are sprints and the stationary bike. This is because there isn't a "pause" in reps and max effort can be maintained for the entire 20s work rounds. Give 8 rounds at full run-for-your-life sprint speed and you'll see nothing else comes close. Heavy bag work is up there - and a personal favorite along with burpees - but still not as demanding on the central nervous system as sustained sprinting/cycling.

Also a note in response to a few comments here about 30-minute "tabata" classes. You are being lied to. The actual tabata protocol is only 4 minutes long and if you aren't out of breath and barely able to move after those 4 minutes, you simply aren't performing them at true 100% intensity. Lots of trainers out there are teaching high-intensity (HIIT) programs using the tabata name to capitalize on its buzz. Tabata is 20s work + 10s rest x 8 rounds, 100% effort (technically 170% vo2 max) simple as that. (http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/the-tabata-myth/)

Edit: I'm not knocking other interval-based exercise programs. More power to you for sticking to anything! Just saying there are lots of snake-oil salesmen out there mis-representing what they're selling as "tabata" because it's become so well known.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I do tabata rounds on the heavy bag.

Ooh i have a heavy bag, can you break down what you do?
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I do tabata on the elliptical get a much better burn using that.