Clean Eaters - I need help!

Options
I have finally begun believing in clean eating and am going to give it a shot. So I've drafted a sample meal plan. I tend to follow the same eating plan every day. After a while I may change it but I need to get in the swing of it first.

Breakfast - 1/2 cup oats with 1 cup blueberries with a tiny bit of honey and cinnamon. Also a protein shake

Snack - 200grams of strawberries and 5oz of Greek plain yogurt with .5tbsp of honey

Lunch - salad with peppers, celery, cucumber, carrots and radishes. 1.5 tsp of my favorite salad dressing...Italian basil and Romano

Snack - 1 hard boiled egg whites with a whole hard boiled egg and 1 tsp of low fat mayo

After workout - protein shake

Dinner - veggie and meat. Usually chicken flavored with spices although sometimes it's ground beef with some mixed veggies.

Does this sound alright?? If anything isn't "good" what's a replacement for it?!

Thanks for any and all help!

Replies

• SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    drop the honey, you are sweet enough (lol), seriously, its all unneeded sugars.

Breakie - good, watch the total cal on the protein shake, they are not for calorie watchers (but for those who break and rebuild muscle, i highly recommned it)

Snack - excellent, minus the honey

Lunch - ok looks good, try to get some grilled/baked chicken breast chunks on the salad if you can

Snack - up it to 2-3 eggs, white only (there will be strong disagreement by some on this, but yolk is lots of cholesterol)

After workout - perfect

Dinner - great
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Also, might want to make 2-3 different plans, and rotate... most people can't eat same thing every day (i am rare few, see diary lol)
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    Not all protein shakes are clean.
    Check what you're consuming.

Also, be cautious of your sugar intake.
  • livingongraceandmercy
    Options
    http://www.eatcleandiet.com/

check out this website her books got me started can't even begin to tell you how they helped, so many things that I didn't know about food I now know. Clean eating is for life because its not a diet its a nutritious healthy way of living. I'm not going to critique what you wrote down because everyone is going to tell you something different, try http://www.eatingwell.com/, a lot of things sound confusing but if we take the time to read it and apply it then that will entice us to continue and help others along the way, try new things and discover for yourself, God speed.
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i make a spinage salad, with black berries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and pecans, with balsmic vingarette dressing.
    Sometimes I add shedded parmsen.
  • sgtlee13
    sgtlee13 Posts: 66
    Options
    Definitely agree with making different meal plans. No matter how good something is, it will get boring after a while. Depending on just how "clean" you want to eat, try adding some other protein sources. I make my own protein shakes or add protein powder that I make into the juice I make for breakfast. Chia seeds are great in that too for protein and calcium, omega-3 plus they absorb over 10X their weight in liquid they're in so they make you feel fuller longer they also help balance sugar levels and are full of anti-oxidants.
    Sounds like a good start! Good luck!
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good work. Next think to clean eating is to know where your food comes from and how its produced. I try to get organic. It will help you understand what I mean if you see this:
    http://www.infowars.com/food-the-ultimate-secret-exposed/
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    watch your sugars!!
    i would drop the honey as sirzee said and also watch the calories on the protein shakes... you might not think it, but some protein shakes (depending on what you put in it) can add up to more than 500 cals.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    love it but it comes down to getting a good quality protein shake ! what kind do you have?
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :) and for the website!

As for protein shakes, I use optimun nutrition whey protein chocolate flavor
    It's about 130 calories and 24g of protein. I've only ever had it plain nothing added and sorta enjoy it that way :) I also don't own a blender so I can't make a shake per say.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    that is a quality protein as far as i know so you should be good
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Check out the "garden of life" protein shake. It's clean, raw, all natural. I have it for breakfast EVERY morning with their superfood powder, cherries, almond milk and coffee packet. All CLEAN :D
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have finally begun believing in clean eating and am going to give it a shot. So I've drafted a sample meal plan. I tend to follow the same eating plan every day. After a while I may change it but I need to get in the swing of it first.

Breakfast - 1/2 cup oats with 1 cup blueberries with a tiny bit of honey and cinnamon. Also a protein shake

Snack - 200grams of strawberries and 5oz of Greek plain yogurt with .5tbsp of honey

Lunch - salad with peppers, celery, cucumber, carrots and radishes. 1.5 tsp of my favorite salad dressing...Italian basil and Romano

Snack - 1 hard boiled egg whites with a whole hard boiled egg and 1 tsp of low fat mayo

After workout - protein shake

Dinner - veggie and meat. Usually chicken flavored with spices although sometimes it's ground beef with some mixed veggies.

Does this sound alright?? If anything isn't "good" what's a replacement for it?!

Thanks for any and all help!

I think your diary is good.. eventually maybe replacing the protein shakes with other sources of protein? I still use it occasionally, usually when I'm craving chocolate I make a chocolate milk out of it. I'd throw tuna or chicken or ham or beans into the salad. You can replace the mayo a lunch with avocado for healthy fat.

I don't see a problem with the raw honey.. although I dropped in in favor of using 2 different fruits to sweeten my oats/yogurt (bananas, mango, strawberries and pineapple are all super sweet!) or my homemade strawberry jam sometimes. I had a bad day today.. Caved to cadbury... but i eat clean about 90% of the time. Also switching to organic,. About half my pantry is currently organic, even if it's not logged that way. I wish I could just throw it all away.. but I can't.

In my opinion the whole concept of clean eating is a wash if you don't also eat organic. This is not everyone's opinion.

The best advice I can give you is to do a little research on food and what is *actually* in what you are eating. You will be shocked at how much sugar you really are eating and how many chemicals you ingest everyday. Clean eating aims to rid yourself of this. You need to look it up for yourself and decide what you are most comfortable with putting in your body. I'll tell something.. going to clean eating helped me with my skin and my energy level.. and even with only being half organic I am even more energetic and I feel much much better.

ETA: Natural does not mean organic.. they are two different things. stuff in a box or pre-made stuff is only bad if it had additives and chemicals in it. Ingredient lists should be short and you should be able to buy everything on the list yourself. It's easier to just not buy it, then it is to check everything. And I feel your pain with the blender.. my son broke ours last week.. and it's killing me to not have it.. I didn't even realize how much i use it now. LOL
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :) and for the website!

As for protein shakes, I use optimun nutrition whey protein chocolate flavor
    It's about 130 calories and 24g of protein. I've only ever had it plain nothing added and sorta enjoy it that way :) I also don't own a blender so I can't make a shake per say.
    Your diet looks perfectly fine the way it is........
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Check out this 1700 or less calorie, 1 week plan I found!

http://www.nomagicpills.com/1700caloriefood/