Running vs. Elliptical vs. Biking

Options
ZB17
ZB17 Posts: 92 Member
Hi, everyone!
For about the past two months, I have been using the elliptical as my main cardio workout. It is DEFINITELY my preference as opposed to running or biking. However, I have been reading that many people say that running provided better (and some said faster) results in terms of getting slimmer, toned legs.
Currently with my elliptical, I spend about 40 minutes on it with intervals changing from 4-11 (back and forth). I like the elliptical, but will it cause me to get larger, bulkier thighs? I would like to get smaller legs, and yes, I know spot reduction is not possible. But what is the best way to reach this goal so that I can finally have toned, slimmer/less-bulky legs?
(I am pear-shaped, if that helps.)
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Keep up w/ any cardio for calorie burn/fat reduction and lots of squats and lunges. All different forms and kinds. With and without weights.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think running would give you the results you are looking for.. (and of course healthy eating..)
  • BrockFnSamson
    BrockFnSamson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is the best of the three as far as I'm concerned. Running damages your joints over time, and biking isn't nearly as effective as the elliptical.

My advice is to do a few google searches for elliptical high intensity interval training. It strips fat off with a minimal time commitment, is very easy on your joints for a long life of mobility, but those sessions are grueling.
  • jess_goobie
    jess_goobie Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I hated running I would only do eliptical but once i had to start doing longer than 30min on the eliptical to get a good workout I knew it was time to change. I heard and expierenced from sports that running is the best way to lose the weight. I sweat the most and get super exhuasted and sore = good work out
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It is DEFINITELY my preference as opposed to running or biking. However, I have been reading that many people say that running provided better (and some said faster) results in terms of getting slimmer, toned legs.

Yes running is better BUT the key here is that you much prefer the elliptical. Why trade something you like for something you don't just to get slightly faster results. Personally I'd rather stick forks in my own eyes than spend serious time on the elliptical but that's why I choose to get outside and run.

Stick with the elliptical and add in some squats and lunges for toning.