Pre workout snack

Options
I just joined a gym today so I can increase my exercise. My plan is to work out after I get off work because this works best for my schedule. Usually when I get home from work I am pretty hungry. If I run errands after work and don't eat something, I get shaky. So my question to you is....what should I eat before my workout? I know if I don't eat something I will not make it though the workout. I was thinking maybe half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I am the same exact way. Some of the things I eat(not all at once just one lol) a 100 calorie pack of almonds, or a handful of honey roasted peanuts. It doesnt really "FILL" you up but its a little something thats in your stomach and does help with the hunger pains and shakiness
  • foxgo
    foxgo Posts: 11
    Options
    I try a banana, nonfat greek yogurt, or a protein bar (special-K protein meal-bar is 170 calories).
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i eat a small tin of low calorie tuna for direct protein and convience-a small plastc spoon and it can all be disposed of
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I am a big fan of the fiber one bars
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    You definitely don't want to eat empty cals. My trainer has told me a banana is a great pre work out snack. It's fast and easy and gives you just enough carbs and it also is a good source of potassium which is important for your muscles during your workout.

Hand full of raw unsalted almonds are also good for the protein.

And a nice big bottle of water.
  • lrmoore13
    lrmoore13 Posts: 16
    Options
    Mix in peanut butter and honey to change it up. The honey is a little better for you and has other health benefits. Other pre-workout foods that I like are yogurt (Greek is even better), bananas (or similar fruit), and nuts (like you said). Anything with natural carbs (not just sugar) and protein will give you energy and make you feel full longer. And always drink 2-3 glasses of water with it. If I get to the gym and don't have to pee, I am doing something wrong!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    1/2 a banana and tsp of peanut butter
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    Banana is definitely my favorite pre-workout snack. If I don't have a banana, a piece of toast or some granola works well.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I'm usually on the go, so light yogurt does the trick if I need something before I leave work (100 cals, 5 g protein), though honestly I leave an hour from when I eat to when I work out....but yeah lots of water....and if you're planning a lot of cardio....banana as well
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do the kashi peanutbutter peanut bars...............4g fiber and 140 calories.
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i was always led to believe peanuts (and butter) were empty calories--i know i got really fat on eating peanuts over a prolonged period--it depends if you are using the gym to aid a diet or produce muscle i suspose but i cant see much value in them!-i only eat unroasted almonds now but even they have hidden fat
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of GU Energy gel. It's 100 calories for a single serving packet. I usually work out first thing in the morning, and can't eat before any workout due to acid reflux issues. This goes down easy and keeps me going through the workout. I think it's about $1.25 per packet.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

This is my personal fave for either before or after a work out. Sometimes I'll have a mini Clif bar or 3 oz greek yogurt with 1 teaspoon full of granola. Nothing too heavy or else I would get sick.
  • kirstendawn07
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options

ditto!!

tho now i run longer so i eat the whole banana.
    its EXACTLY what fuels me! i havent even tried anything else?!
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Breathing new life into this thread ...

Looks like banana and peanut butter is the winner! I found this article today and found it share-worthy:

http://www.wisebread.com/6-pre-workout-snacks-to-keep-you-moving?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+wisebread+(Wise+Bread)
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You can also try a hard boiled egg with a piece of 100%
    Whole wheat bread.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    my pre-work out meal is almost always a good solid effort, haha.

I spread my meals accross the day, works out that I eat meal 4 before my workouts. So about 1645. gym by 18:15.
    meal 4 is usually chicken breast or two small tins of tuna with a bunch of salad/raw veges. :p
    Always feel good through the workout. until I'm dead of course.